How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

There are arguments to be made for and against the logo, as there are arguments to be made for or against hundreds of topics, and we argue them every day here on the planet. The argument about the logo may turn out to be fun, but that is not the part of your post that I want to respond to. I want to respond to the quote below.

[QUOTE=guihong;636043]Hi, everyone:
I think as a community, we're getting away from sorting everyone into "butch" and "femme", a. nd dealing with everyone as an individual. Many of us just can't or won't be boxed into any grouping, despite the site name. I suspect that some of us are really here for broader support for being gay, and not to be any one label.

Forty years ago I was ridiculed at lesbian/gay woman/women who love women/whatever, gatherings for being femme. Butches were pretty acceptable because everyone looked butch. But if you SAID you were butch or that you like femmes, you faced the same ridicule. It was explained to us butches and femmes in almost the same words you use above that we, our identities, feelings, attractions, were passe'

If you or others here are neither butch nor femme, if you are here for broader support, that is fine, and welcome to you. But I am here for support for being femme. I am here to figure out where I fit in the world - following the death of my FTM husband. I was perceived as straight while we were together, but that role no longer fits. And following the years when I finished raising my kids alone ... when I was mother and father, taxi driver, financier, tutor, cheerleader, and disciplinarian. My youngest moved out a month ago so that role no longer fits either. Broke up with my FTM boyfriend a few months ago, so i am on my own entirely. Now I'm rattling around in a house designed for six people, and venturing out for the first time in many years into the gay community trying to answer some very big questions for myself. I am finding support for this journey from ny butch/femme people here.

Who am I? Time will tell. But I start with the knowledge that I am femme.

You're right, we should not label each other. But the people who told me butch/femme were "old time" forty years were wrong when they said the community had evolved beyond butch/femme, and I think you're wrong too. We are not butch or femme because someone has sorted us into a box. We are not looking for a solution that will release us as if we have been imprisoned in our chosen "role." We choose our path or are born into it. We have our struggles, but we're proud of our history and hopefull for the future. We SELF-identify. We like who we are.

There are lots of lesbian sites and gay sites. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I am interested in this site BECAUSE it is a butch/femme site. I am femme. I am home here... and I am not passe'
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post: