View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #580
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,991 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
Yeah, I will miss my baseball, but I don't think we're going to make it to the end of the (very short) season. Players keep getting sick. They're supposed to stay in isolation in their hotels, but we're talking about guys who are mostly in their early 20s. I remember my early 20s - I don't think anybody could have convinced me to stay locked up in a hotel room if I was in a big city like Miami or New York for the first time. They are supposed to have security in the lobbies of the hotels, but you and I know that there are many ways in and out of hotels.

The MLB team owners made a major mistake when they decided to try to continue to have games at all the stadiums. This means the players (and coaches, and support staff and literally hundreds of other people) have to travel back and forth and try to maintain distance and wear PPE, etc. during changing hotels, on vehicles, and probably going to their individual homes if they're in their home city.

The NBA made a better decision when they decided to put all the players and necessary people in a "bubble". All games are played in a sports complex (in Florida, at WDW) and people stay in the same hotels throughout. No one goes in or out of the bubble without extenuating circumstances and the proper precautions. We'll see how that plays out.
I am no infectious desease expert, but I am not "sold" on the 'bubble' experiment.

Here's why I tend to not trust that model of choice:

I already know of about 2 or three 'bubble' situations and those in that 'bubble' were still at risk of exposure and ended up having to quarantine. Not sure if those who quarantined actually caught Covid19, but to me? It is too big of a risk.

I know if I were in a 'bubble' type situation, it seems to me that there is a bigger risk of catching it because I dont think one can control the odds of becoming infected

But that is just thoughts I have concerning 'bubble' types of situations. There is a lot that is still unknown about how people are becoming exposed to people who are contagious yet don't know they are.

I worry each day I am at work that I will be accidentally exposed to Covid19. Worse, I have the same worry about where I live. I wear my mask and hybrid hazmat gear to and from my home. I bag up clothes and such each day, until the weekend when I go to the washertia to do my weekly laundry. It is costly because our studio units do not have room for laundry appliances, not even mini versions. But i have a strict method I adhere to, to keep my home free from outside contaminates. I feel it is prudent to go to great length to make sure I have taken every feasible precaution to make sure I safeguard my health.

I feel lucky that I can do that, and I realise the priviledge granted to me that makes it possible to even do that.

I am grateful tonight that I am safe, so far. But I realise that exposure to Covid19 is not 100% in my favor, or anybody's favor.

We, the general we, know this because of a vast accounting from others who we have learned about who did contract it and did not know how they were infected.

Which is scary. The danger is very real, and should not be discounted for reasons that the science and infectious disease community cannot even nail down yet.

But this is how I think about it and why I exercise as much caution as I can. While I can. Because if somebody here at home is infected or someone at work is infected, it jeopardises everyone's safety and wellness, including my own self, and if I were exposed and became infected, most likely I would die.

My health is fragile, so I have to be super careful in all I do. I am not swimming in money. If I were, I might could stay home for a couple years and ride it out. But I am not.

Anyhoooo. I take each day as it comes and live as responsibly as I can.

Stay safe and stay as well as you can.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Georgia.

~K.

_____ ______

Last edited by Kätzchen; 08-11-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: