Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Hey Nat-

I'm pretty lucky in the respect that my workplace is super positive but it hasn't always been that way.

When I first came to work there, I came to a team of 15 people who were all very disjointed and did not connect with one another on a personal level very well.

I made it my mission to change that and we now have a very positive family-style team and it honestly is the main reason I love my job so much.

Some things I have done to make that happen:
* Candy jar on the desk - Yes, it's simple but it works. It gets people to stop by and say hello and random chit-chat.

* Invite people out to lunch or just invite folks to have lunch together if they brought theirs from home. Even sitting around in the cafeteria griping about how bad the new copier sucks can unite folks. Yes, it might be foxhole bonding but it will go a long way for common ground.

* Events outside of work -I started planning karaoke and bowling nights outside of work about once a month. This worked MAGIC for team bonding and helped folks find common ground while in a looser atmosphere.

* Find your people - Find other gay people, other women, other creatives, other eccentrics, other folks like you and bond with them. It might be as simple as forwarding a funny email but I have found that humor goes a LONG way in a stressful environment.

I know it can be incredibly draining to work in a negative environment. If you have the energy, be the one bright spot in that space. Be the one person who always has a kind word or a joke to tell. Be the one person who writes a funny saying on the board every day. Make your magic. I know you can. <3
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: