Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
I hope you deal well with disappointment.
I take disappointment very badly and usually sulk or throw a bit of a tantrum (or, more likely, both).

That said, whether or not the Yankees win the 2012 World Series (and I do generally believe that they have a devine right to win it each year) matters little to me and, if they fail to do so, it won't cause me any angst.

Rather my love for the Yankees is in terms of their history and imagery. As some on here already know, I am a fanatical collector of original Yankees photography from the early 1920s through to the early 1940s, with a particular interest in the 1920s era.

Attached is my most recent pick-up. It's rather appropriate as the image is from Opening Day of the season - albeit the 1924 season rather than 2012. It shows the Yankees pictured at Fenway Park, Boston on April 15 1924 in advance of a victory over the Red Sox.

The picture is of significant interest for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is the first shot of a Yankees side as reigning World Champions, having defeated the Giants in the subway series the previous October. Secondly, it was the first time in years that the Yankees had a team photo taken on Opening Day as, during this era, the Yankees and certain other teams believed in a "camera jinx" that by having a team photo taken before the pennant race was over would jinx the team through the season.

Thirdly, with the shot being taken at Fenway Park, the number of ex-Red Sox players in the squad is startling ..... not only the legendary Babe Ruth but others such as Waite Hoyt, Sam Jones, Herb Pennock, Wally Schang, Elmer Smith and Joe Dugan .... all players let go from the Red Sox by their controversial owner Harry Frazee.

Most significant to me, however, is the presence of a very young Lou Gehrig in the photo, second from left on the bottom row. Without a doubt, the greatest Yankee of all-time but, when this was shot, he was a relative unknown who didn't start to make his mark with the Yankees until 1925.

Forgive me for my departure from the current season and going back in time but it's the history of baseball that makes it great. I'll likely post a few more vintage Yankees shots over the course of the season and give some historical context to them.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote