View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Hokie Girl

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian

Hokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default GREAT Questions!

I appreciate your inquiry, SuperFemme. Thanks for bringing that to the forefront. Actually, this is a survey for all-weighted women. That introduction was just to demonstrate why research on overweight and obesity is an important health issue. . . and not just a "social" or "socially stigmatized" issue. There are serious chronic diseases related to overweight and obesity, and that is why I am studying our community. Obviously, a historically understudied population, sexual minority women and body weight is virtually invisible in the health and wellness literature; focus on our community in the behavioral health aspect of this issue (physical activity habits, healthy eating habits, alcohol consumption, etc. . . ) is minimal and the outcomes mostly equivocal.

So, that was a very long answer to say, "Yes! All weights are being investigated in my study." I'm really attempting to gain understanding about the environmental, behavioral, and cognitive influences and how those three areas interact within the lesbian commmunity. Still not very succinct. . .

I welcome any other questions, concerns, etc. . . I am so passionate about this study not only because it's important, but it really is my chance to make a positive impact within my community. - Lastly, as I told the Bella/Spinsters folks, I would be happy to post my results here, once they are finalized.

And, I am not easily offended, Softness. I absolutely understand your concerns. I just wanted to be sure you knew I was legit. You can also go to www.hnfe.vt.edu follow the links to "Research" and then to the Translational Obesity Research Program- look under "grad option and students," and you will find my profile there. I was also a Tarheel, if that will help you find me on the site.

THANKS so much for the feedback and questions. I'm kind of new to the listservs. . . haven't had much of a social life the past three years!

HG
Hokie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hokie Girl For This Useful Post: