View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i saw this lovely movie on Netflix streaming. It's called The Way We Get By, and it's about some older people who greet troops returning from overseas. They greet them at the Bangor, Maine Airport and thank them for their service. They provide handshacks, hugs, cookies, and cellphones for them to call home. i think i also saw some jackets that i think they lent to soldiers who wanted to go outside in cold weather. It was more about the three greeters than the troops. ANd it is kind of scary about old age. But it was lovely. i think they have greeted over a million troops. i can't believe we have so many coming and going.

i also just saw a film about some women who started a beauty school in Kabul. It was kind of sweet. i read though that the school was taken over by one of the American teachers who married a local. Anyway, they ran it into the ground. But it was a lovely idea. Some of it made me cringe -- a little ugly or stupid American stuff. An Afghani woman complains about her aggressive husband, being overworked at home, etc. -- fairly dire conditions. And the woo woo instructor from America suggests she meditate before she enters the house. i am a Buddhist, but .. . .

Anyway. i thought of this thread because these were both efforts that fairly ordinary people have made to make a difference -- related to this conflict.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: