Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #74
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library_girl View Post
I've lived in the South, the Midwest, and now the Golden State in a really gay city. And I've had gay stickers on all my cars since 1989 or so. Plus I have a "gay tattoo". I've never encountered any problems or harassment because of my "flags". (when my dad borrowed my car once, I told him what the stickers meant, and he just shrugged as if to say "so what?" This came from an old guy from the deep south!)

My personal philosophy is that if someone really wants to attack me or say something to me or do something to my car, let them! The possibility of that is not going to stop me from expressing myself or stating who I am.

My sexual orientation IS who I am. I know many LGBT peeps say that its just one part of who they are, it's a part of the whole person. That's cool. But for me, being a lesbian is who I am. Being a femme is who I am too, and being a librarian, and a Southern girl, and a few other things. That's just what identity means to me. So I have decided to express this on my body and my car. (Just like millions of other people do. I love that freedom of speech!) And if someone wants to hurt me, even kill me, because of it, they can go ahead and try. I paraphrase an FDR quote: "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees."
I can see by your post it's very important for you to express yourself as a member of the LGBT community. That it works for you and is part of who you are and to express yourself in that way is great.(Love the Dad story!) However, it doesn't work for everyone. I can relate though when you said "My sexual orientation IS who I am." It's something you strongly identify with and feel a need to express yourself. I on the other hand, identify myself more by being an annoying bastard about animal welfare, especially spay/neuter (I'm known as Bob Barker on steroids and that's one of the nice names). It IS who I am. I willingly put myself sometimes in potentially harmful situations for animals. Thankfully there are those of us that have passions/beliefs/causes we believe in and are willing to lay ourselves open to whatever comes of it.

I did forget to add on my first post I do have one bumper sticker on my truck(and I hate them, took a lot for me to put one on my truck). It's a stick figure of a guy, next to him is his dog, next to the dog is a litter of puppies. It reads: This is Dick, this is Dick's dog, this is Dick's dog's puppies.... Don't be a Dick spay and neuter