Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,262 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Kale: The Silent Killer.

From the web site Delish (16/07/5) titled "People Are Getting Seriously Sick from Eating Kale" subtitled ("Find out why this superfood is actually super-poisoning) that urged readers to "lay off the kale...":

"Kale is heralded for its ample supplies of calcium, magnesium, potassium, Vitamin K, and various healthful phytochemicals and anti-oxidants. But the superfood is hiding a nasty secret: dangerous levels of heavy metals.

In a recent study, molecular biologist Ernie Hubbard found that kale—along with cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and collard greens—is a hyper-accumulator of heavy metals like thallium and cesium. What's more, traces of nickel, lead, cadmium, aluminum, and arsenic are also common in greens, and this contamination affected both organic and standard produce samples."

The articles cited a 7 July 2015 article published by Craftmanship magazine; written by Todd Oppenheimer:

"Oppenheimer profiled the work of microbiologist Ernie Hubbard, whom, he explained, has a "background in biochemistry and genetics and "[worked to] explore a range of tests and treatments not often found in traditional doctor’s offices" such as "bio-impedence' analyzers that measure cellular energy and 'chelating' formulas like ZNatural, which aim to stimulate the body to release toxins...."

The article explained how Hubbard settled upon kale as a possible agent of dietary destruction:

To test this link [to residual thallium levels in kale as a toxin], Hubbard started playing a little game. Whenever the clinic would send him someone with the kind of chronic problems associated with thallium, or any other complaints that were hard to pin down, Hubbard would scribble kale on a little note-card and turn it face-down on his desk. After a short work-up, he’d ask the patient to list his or her favorite vegetables. Over and over, people would mention the crucifers, especially kale. Hubbard would nod, say he expected as much, then show them the note-card on his desk to prove it..."

I'd put my tongue in my cheek but there's a wad of kale in there.
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post: