Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,088 Times in 8,590 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Thank you so much for posting this!

I was able to catch it Wednesday evening on our PBS channel out of Tacoma WA. I don't mean to get on a soapbox here, but no doubt many palms were greased to look the other way...everyone from fire/arson inspectors to the local politicians.

Sad to say this is still happening today but not as blatantly and under the guise of gentrification (the process of repairing and rebuilding homes and businesses in a deteriorating area (such as an urban neighborhood) accompanied by an influx of middle-class or affluent people and that often results in the displacement of earlier, usually poorer residents).
Glad you were able to catch it, Homoe. I watched it, too, and found it heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. And yep, different (new?) forms of redlining are happening in major cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, NYC—areas marked as not worthy to get mortgages, insurance, basic maintenance. Fuck.

The documentary is available online at the Independent Lens page at PBS.org: https://www.pbs.org/video/decade-of-fire-uoty1d/
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post: