View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #3796
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Never heard of the place. Me thinks she/they doth protest too much regarding the cause. Still, pity they're closing... whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
In Melbourne, Australia, a lesbian owned vegan café is closing after 2 years - they were known for "provoking a debate by offering women priority seating and charging men an extra 18% one week a month".

from Handsome Her:

"We’ve never shied away from controversy in the spirit of social justice and it seems fitting that we go out in the same style in which we came in: a whirlwind of sad, angry male tears. A pretty decent spruik on The Daily Mail has set off a spate of love letters from adoring men worldwide, and yes it is sad but true; this Sunday is our final day. However let us assure you that we are not closing because of:

"A) Male tears or misogynistic vitriol from men's rights activists. We’re lesbians, we’re quite used witnessing the fragility of the male ego which literally cannot compute the idea of a woman who is not interested in them. These abusive comments have been mostly amusing, only reinforced our views about how toxic sexism is, and great motivation for us to keep up the good work

"B) Not making enough money. If you've been in you know we are doing just fine. Our fans and regulars can smell a rat when it comes to fake google reviews from #sadmen. Most of our male customers have happily paid above and beyond the optional surcharge (mantax) which we donate to charity. Handsome Her was somewhat of a social experiment for us outside of our professional realms, and we have seen that it works to put our politics to the forefront in life and in business

"As much as people would love to believe it, sorry but the man tax did not run our business into the ground, we just don't want to own a cafe anymore...

"For real though, we have sold the business because we are young, educated and off on our next adventure! For those of you who have run your own small business, you know how much time, blood, sweat and tears it takes, and we are looking forward to a slower, more deliberate way of living out in the world and putting our feminist, vegan, low-waste politics into practice.

"We are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday so we will see you then!

"We remain ever yours, the leftist, extremist, man-hating, vegan dykes of your worst nightmare xx much love to you all"

I especially liked that last line - made my day, and made me smile and chuckle - so I placed that line in emphasis.

Oh, to be young, lesbian, and adventurous!!!
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post: