Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Do you use the term "woman" as part of your identity?

I am a woman but I feel like I lean more towards girl, in terms of identity.

What does it mean to you to use/not use the term "woman?"

I guess I've never really thought about it (such as the question is). I feel pride when I address myself and I am addressed as, a woman. Women are beautiful, strong, enduring creatures in this world of savage animals. The word itself....woman....feels gentle and graceful and all the things I have the potential to be. I'm not sure I answered the question as it was intended, but that's what I got in shooting from the hip and not reading any of the preceding answers.

Does tension/discomfort exist for you in using the term "woman" together with butch, femme, queer, or any of your other identity definers? If so, why?

I don't have any discomfort or tension, no. Queer woman feels more natural in my head though.

How is "woman" different from "female" (and I don't mean in the academic sense, but in the lived experience sense).

Besides the obvious examples of a 6 year old being female but not a woman...woman feels more powerful to me than female. I suppose that's due to society's view of females and male privilege and such.

What does "woman" mean?

Strength, beauty, perseverance, responsibility, loyalty, love, competent, daring, fragile, ugly, weak, irresponsibility, disloyalty, hate, incompetency, fearful....it's something different to everyone on different days. I can be all of the above in a single day's time. That is, in my opinion and probably the best descriptor of all, amazing.

What does "woman" not mean?

Again, it's in the perception of each person.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: