Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #63
squeak

How Do You Identify?:
femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
making one butch sweat

squeak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
i have made strudel for people- fruit filled as well as savoury. has anyone had success with vegan strudel, please? i'm wondering if a vegan pie crust might work?

i would use wheat-free/gluten free flours: rice flour, sorghum flour, ener-g egg product, potato starch, brown sugar, ginger [allergic to and miss to death, cinnamon!], earth balance, apple cider, and ice cold water.

good night ! coconut milk unsweetened, trader joe's tumaco cocoa powder, and silk vanilla coffee creamer is the best, and i always have fantastic dreams.
I've never made strudel (sounds so refined!), but I do bake a lot - how does this recipe sound?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaUpIAsL6SA"]YouTube - VegNews TV: Mother's Day Strudel[/nomedia]

I've taken a class with those sisters at Spork foods here in LA and they can really turn out some amazing baked goods. Plus, look at that stunning gene pool!

They use whole week and unbleached AP flour here, but if you are trying to avoid gluten and are using rice flour you might want to go for brown rice flour if you can find it. It will have more "grip" and a deeper flavor. In this recipe they also use lots of commerical vegan alternatives for sour cream, cream cheese, etc and no other binders or oil besides the Earth Balance margarine. I think Ener-g can come through crusts with a kind of bitter or chemical aftertaste sometimes. I've only had success with it in one cornbread recipe.

Happy baking!

xosqueak
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote