View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #79
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

So today is our annual special education department day. Last year we had 2 days. I am grateful this year we are more efficient (unlikely but let's go with it). We lost our day with our school team day, thank goodness. I was telling Stoney the story of how I met the special ed team at the school I work at last year. My goodness I forgot how odd that was.

I was brand spanking new to the school last year. New to the east coast and very nervous about "social norms" in NH. Every thing seemed so difficult. Getting to work was a challenge and I was going in for the first time and I needed to be on time. I get there, find a seat which was tricky because well I was obviously the new kid.

I ended up sitting next to the occupational therapist for preschool, K and 1st grade. She ends up being a lifesaver to me last year and a wildly adored friend now. At that moment she was a stranger who seemed a bit bristly. We open with an ice breaker the vice principal has planned. We are supposed to answer a question and be ready to share our partners answer with the group. The question was....

What was one of your most difficult moments in life and why?

I am sitting next to a stranger thinking to myself... What life moment that was difficult is appropriate to share at work with someone I don't know? And of all the ice breaker questions my god what was this woman thinking. I did learn why the woman I was sitting next too was a bit bristly, her father recently died. I don't even remember what I said.

So today I am thinking that how ever long this day will be I am not answering that questions again and having my answer shared with a group of strangers. Thank heavens.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post: