View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #90
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
'This is my truth' is not an expression I would use, because the word 'truth' means something different to me.

But, I think that when people say, This is my truth, they are claiming their right to express their feelings, even in the face an audience that is disinterested in their deep feelings and concerns.
I agree with the general spirit of what you're saying, but instead of "This is my truth," I would say, "This is my experience."

I find it useful to at least be clear with myself on what I've experienced, and not let anyone try to force me to experience something I just don't experience.

I'm sorry, I'm probably being confusing.

I mean, two people can be in the same place at the same time, they can be the only two people in the room and the only two people interacting, but have a different experience or interpretation or memory of what that interaction was all about.

This is a challenge in relationships, but I've found that if I just stick to being honest about what MY experience is, I at least feel grounded in that. It's a place to start.

And just as you notice that people "claim their right to express their feelings," I notice that I claim my right to express what my experience was, which often involves feelings, as in, That felt reassuring, or That felt like an attack.

The other person might not have intended to be reassuring, or attacking—but that doesn't mean it didn't feel that way.

Ah, intention. That's the root of expression, I guess. Or the root of understanding.

Jeez I can't believe I said that, "the root of understanding," LOL. But I meant it.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post: