amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrrl View Post
I'm the same way! I can't read without a pen (and highlighters if they're around). I love marginalia--notes, questions, and connections within the text (and with other texts). All of those notes are handy when teaching, writing essays, or (my favorite) talking about the book with friends And, uhm, I also like reading marginalia the in other people's books

I have not seen or used this word in years. thank you so much for using it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpychick View Post
Having realized the emptiness in my life, I've turned inward again and sought out what I've been missing. Books. Beautiful Books.

I started writing here yesterday, a long and luscious tale of my reading history and habits, and then did a keystroke (ctrl U) that erased it all and put me into a page of Visual Basic code. I whined. I thought I'd type it all from the start again, and then, decided against it. It must have been erased for a reason.

So here I am. All that good writing, gone to waste.

My most recent read was The Lovely Bones which had succeeded in captivating me, although it's fiction. That is, until the last few chapters, when the author decided to take a nose-dive and ruin the lovely path created. I felt cheated, disrespected. A good writer knows the ending to a story is paramount.

As a writer myself, I've learned: Don't freak out. Take a break. Come back later. Re-read what you've already written. Finally, decide how the conclusion needs to go to hold the reader to the last period in the book.

This author took a sharp left and drove right off the cliff.

I need something new to read now. Something non-fiction again. Something timeless.

Any suggestions?

that drives me crazy
or when books end with to many loose ends.

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote