Old 08-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #184
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
I'm happy to say that I am RETIRED now. I completed 20 years of federal civil service 2 years ago, and it was about then that my knees started giving me problems again. I had total joint replacement in '07 and '08, and now they're telling me that I need to have both kneecaps replaced, too.

So I got to thinking, WHY am I killing myself and putting my body through so much pain?? I already have 100% disability compensation from the military, with full benefits, and I could survive nicely on just that. So, I put in for FERS (Federal Employees Retirement System) retirement with 20 years' service, and put in my application for Social Security Disability (a requirement for FERS disability retirement). Surprisingly, I got SSDI right away, on my first application, and that started within a couple of months!!! This was a HUGE surprise, because we've all heard how hard it is to get that, and most folks have to apply a LOT of times, before it's granted. Being a FERS retiree, I kept my federal health insurance for my wife and myself, and this past July1, I started getting additional healthcare bennies with Medicare coverage (Medicare requires a 24 month wait, from the time you receive your first SSDI check, before your Medicare becomes effective). This was always important to me, as I don't want to have to rely on the military/VA health care systems, and I can go to any doctor I want with very little to no copays. This is HELLA important, because when a person retires, healthcare is a huge financial wildcard. If your health is bad and your insurance is not good, or limited, you can really get yourself into a financial hole VERY QUICKLY.......and that can totally f*ck up an otherwise successful retirement.

So, right now, I'm in a very good, stable position to enjoy my retirement, and the wife and I have been doing just that. I am so grateful that, at this time, I have the extra time to spend with my mother, who won't be here with us for very much longer. She's 94, has dementia is is in a local group home. I am blessed and not a day goes by that I don't thank the good Lord for all of my many blessings.

~Theo~
Congrats, Theo!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: