Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gender Bias in Performance Reviews

POSTED ON FEBRUARY 24, 2015 BY HEATHER

Performance Reviews: The Hurdle that Keeps Getting Higher

A NEW study by the linguist and tech entrepreneur Kieran Snyder, done for Fortune.com, found two differences between workplace performance reviews given to men and women. Across 248 reviews from 28 companies, managers, whether male or female, gave female employees more negative feedback than they gave male employees. Second, 76 percent of the negative feedback given to women included a personality criticism, such as comments that the woman was “abrasive,” “judgmental” or “strident.” Only 2 percent of men’s critical reviews included negative personality comments.

Why?

Why is this the case in 2015? Why are women getting more negative feedback than men on personality traits and finding gender bias in performance reviews? I refuse to believe that women are truly under performing as a gender. In 2013, Women in STEM careers consistently reported feeling like females have to perform better than men to be judged equally competent (Knobloch-Westerwick, Glynn, & Huge). So women feel as if they have to go above and beyond yet still get more negative feedback.

Women report that their mistakes are noticed more, and remembered longer (Bauer & Baltes, 2002). So, women are faced with the pressure of being perfect. A female can’t make a mistake or have a bad day because it will linger longer than their male contemporaries. There is simply no room for error if you are a female.

Why are women given more negative managerial feedback about their personality?

Behavior and emotional intelligence are playing a larger role in performance evaluations these days. I would think this would be where women would win the day. After all, many women are instinctively nurturing, yet instead of being a big, gold star it is a source of criticism.

What to do?

How can women fight back against this injustice? Here are a few ideas.

Keep records of what you do.

This can be something as low tech as keeping a notebook at your desk. Before you leave at the end of the day, write the date at the top, and then list everything you accomplished. An electronic calendar is another good way to document what you do daily. Put anything outstanding in bold so that you can be sure to include it in your discussion with your manager.

Develop your network.

Having a group of cheerleaders that get out the positive word about your performance and reputation will offset any negative statements in your annual review. Just remember to do the same for them, and they will totally appreciate the gesture. My rule of thumb is to always “talk up” my team. You would think my team is the best and brightest of the entire company based on what I say about them.

Pay it forward by supporting other women.

Mentor those below you, and sell the sponsor above you. Yes, I said sell your sponsor. Ensure you always speak of the positive aspects of your sponsor. Remember, he or she is giving feedback to the succession planning of the company. If you want a slot to open for you, the best way is to help someone above you get a promotion. If you can, try to find ways to help other women find success. Over time, women will rise to the top of the pile and truly be an equal part of the workplace!

If you know of any other strategies to help women get past the gender bias issues inherent in performance reviews, let us know!

We’d love to hear from you and keep the discussion ongoing!

Heather graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte with an Electrical Engineering degree, and later received her MBA. She first worked as an engineer designing sub-stations for a regional power company.
She is now an engineering project manager for an international company specializing in smart grid technology.

http://leanedon.com/gender-bias-in-performance-reviews/

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: