Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Hear we have a pflag and a pace (political actvist gay group)im on both mailing list but as things hear usely are,not much is or has gone on.We just had mid term elections and reelected our city mayor,who last year gave ppl who work for the city that are glbt protection against job loss or harrasment of any kind because of being queer..I even think he gave them medical benefits.retirements ect.Suposedly Bossier city,right across the river said they have a simular policy..its the first time ive herd of it being I lived there most of my life and,untill now ,have been unaware of it.Many times I have thought about trying to run for political office but doubt I can get the backing of the glbt community to do so..I mean if I cant get backing from my own glbt ppl it will be a moot point to run..u can bet it will come up in the process of runing for office.We have much appathy in the community that it will take a lot to change the set minds hear,I have spoken to many about such things but the anser I get over all is..It dosent make any diffrents what we do..we arent in a place that the religious right dosnt put a stop to anything to do with the glbt ppl..so why bother.
I often think about how it is in places like you are in! A very good reason for having a place such as this site to be able to communicate with each other! I grew up (middle-school and HS years) in a small Northern CA town and have to say that there was much the same going on. So many people believe that all of CA is open to queerdom and more progressive politically- that is just not true.

And these are the places that we need to open up! Plus, I keep wanting to re-locate in a more rural setting. I miss a more quiet life. One of the things I keep thinking about is that when I am able to make a move, it is important that I make contacts with "our people" (meaning the B-F aspects of the LGBTIQ populations) before moving. The Planet provides a way to do this. Supah'!!

It seems like some of our members (like the administrators, but there are others) have made progress with being able to relocate to a more rural setting, yet, be political and themselves. I admire the folks here that do this and hope I develop what it takes as an older person to do this. I love SF and the Bay Area due to it being more open, but, the pace is not for me, overall. And it has a high cost of living which as a retired person, cuts into my ability to travel more and just do things I enjoy doing that do have fees, etc. LOL... I am just at one of those "simplify" stages in life, I think.

Thanks for your input.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote