View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #38
Spanky

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, grrly, lipstick and heels all the way except when i'm not
Preferred Pronoun?:
the usual

Spanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST ReputationSpanky Has the BEST Reputation
Default skirting the issue

when i came out in the 80s androgyny was the order of the day. i wore dresses and make-up and no one would talk to me. i tried for a more lesbian look, shaved my head and put on a vest... but that was not me, and in the end, my friends told me i couldn't really pull off butch if my life depended on it.

i appreciate the resurgence of femme our community, but i have had more than one person tell me i do not "look" like a lesbian. i have learned that all that means is that i do not set off their gaydar... those who pay attention see me just fine, for those who come with preconceived notions about what constitutes homosexuality, we are invisible on any plain.

in the mid 90s performance artists Shawna Dempsey and Lorri Milan did a piece that aired on Much Music called what does a lesbian look like that was fantastic... i was trying to find it, but found this instead, not the same thing, but still good, an excerpt from their movie "a day in the life of a bull dyke"

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Kj3kAzsFQ"]What is a bull dyke ? A Universal appeal in my own Monstrosity - YouTube[/nomedia]
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky For This Useful Post: