Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

So many times before, I thought, hey, she is getting 1/2 of a backbone, but then she voted with the rest of the GOP.

She would never stand up to Trump or the GOP majority.

I'm not feeling very good about politics right now.

I'm going to watch Suoer Troopers and try not to think about politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...pect-precedent

Collins: I look for judges who 'respect precedent'

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said on Wednesday that she believes Roe v. Wade is settled legal precedent — and she believes judges should respect precedent.

"I view Roe v. Wade as being settled law. It’s clearly precedent and I always look for judges who respect precedent," Collins told reporters on Wednesday, referencing the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion nationwide.

Her comments come after Justice Anthony Kennedy's retirement announcement quickly reignited talk of a possible fight over abortion.

Kennedy had been the fifth vote for upholding Roe v. Wade, the landmark case that established the right to abortion in 1973.

Collins and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) are viewed as two potential early swing votes on Trump's forthcoming nominee. Progressives already are urging voters to push the two senators to oppose a nominee deemed too conservative on abortion.

Hours after Kennedy's retirement was reported, Murkowski issued a statement saying that Trump's next Supreme Court pick could expect "exacting scrutiny."

"It is my longstanding practice to carefully scrutinize the qualifications of judicial nominees and to cast an independent vote when judicial nominations come before the Senate," Murkowski wrote in a tweeted statement. There is no doubt that the President's nominee to succeed Justice Kennedy can expect exacting scrutiny from the Senate and that is the standard I will apply in evaluating the nominee."

Asked if she had concerns about a potential nominee due to their potential for being the swing vote on abortion-related comments, Collins demurred, but signaled she preferred someone moderate.

"That obviously would be my preference but what I'm most looking for is a Justice that will follow the law and the constitution," she added.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: