Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my scorpio boo bear.

Thanked 32,027 Times in 9,959 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I am still watching my DVR of VICE News from today.

I was also reading this thread at the same time.

On comes a piece about the Loving Supreme Court decision.

50 years ago today, the Supreme Court ruled in the decision of Richard and Mildred Loving.

They said that if two consenting adults chose to marry, race should not be a factor in the decision to marry.

There were excerpts from The Loving Story. Their lawyer said: "Mr. Loving told me to tell the court that I love my wife and it is unfair that I can't live with her in Virginia".

VICE asked several interracial couples today, to talk about what that decision meant to them.

One couple said: "We are not naive. I am not color-blind. It is not that black folks are not black folks and white folks are not white folks but this particular white folk is my soulmate and my best friend."

It really resonated with me.

When I first posted in this thread, in 2014, I was with my recent ex. I left that relationship because it was not good for me.

Most of us have had heartbreak related to loves that did not work out. It is a very painful part of life.

I still believe in love.

I still believe that one can meet the person that feels like recognition in the deepest part of your soul, that you are meant to be together.

Of course, the other may not feel the same way! That is always a risk.

Soulmates.

Yes, I do believe it is possible (or pretty darn close to that ideal).

I remember this clearly as if it happened yesterday. I was just barely 8 years old.....Sunday afternoon diiner, at our family's home, guests too. It was the subject of discussion among adults present. As kids, we observed with great interest..... among those present at dinner, participating in the discussion, were those of a peculiar sort, whose bias was so incredibly hard to hear. But I was proud for them. And happy that they could be together when it was practically a social taboo that could cost you deeply. And even though I was just barely any age to hardly be interested in politics of any kind, I listened intently as if it were the best tasting candy in the world. I think this specific event is probably what brought about my life long pursuit and interest concerning racial injustice, and other types of social issues, over the years.

Thanks for the timely post, Anya.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: