Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #79
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I have to be careful with snacking...I work from home so the kitchen is about 10 feet from my desk.

Having said that, when I do feel the craving for snacks I usually choose fruit...banana, apple, kiwi, fresh berries....or a granola bar. I love the kashi brand, and they're high in protein and fiber and whole grains and all that good stuff...they even have one that's dark chocolate and cherry and can almost make you believe it's a candy bar while still being healthy.

Other things I sometimes have....a small handful of nuts (although it's hard to stop at a handful), yogurt smoothie or a small carton of yogurt, string cheese (I get the individually wrapped ones...makes it easier to grab one and step away from the fridge ).

I love chips too....and we always have them in the house, which makes it tough. I have found that buying the single serving size (designed for lunchboxes) helps me. Again, I can grab one and walk away, and when I'm done...I'm done. I know they're wasteful on packaging, but it helps.

One thing I discovered with the diabetes is that I tended to eat on auto-pilot, and frequently didn't even taste my food. When I'm upset and doing "emotional eating" I can still find myself in that situation....with half a giant bag of BBQ chips gone and I don't even remember eating them or the flavor. I discovered that mindful eating helps. If I'm eating that snack size bag of chips, or that single square of Dove chocolate, I really focus on it....no other distractions.....I even close my eyes, and really experience the texture and flavor of what I'm eating fully. I've find my cravings are satisfied with a surprisingly tiny amount if I do this.

In other news....I haven't been as good about my walking or my diet as I like (it's been a rough week), but I still managed to lose 2 lbs. Yay!