Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #28
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

While it is a shame such heinous crimes exist, the reality is that they do. You never know who might be a perpetrator. Being "who you are" openly, I guess depends upon how safe you feel in doing so. I don't think it matters how many of us are visible, to ignorant people. They will still be ignorant. History shows us this with race, and religion.

I think publicizing the crime comes with good and bad, as would having rainbow paraphernalia, on your house or car or whatever, if you live in a place that would be deemed unsafe. You're not going to be assaulted or your property vandalized by those you feel safe around. It will likely be folks you don't know. In the case of this article the women had already been harassed by the neighbors. So what do ya do, move? I don't know. Report each incident would be my best guess, so that it is documented.

Many generations will have to be educated before hate crimes and prejudice against the GLBT community are taken more seriously by law enforcement and society in general.

Quick comment/question for those posting in reference to displaying rainbow paraphernalia. If you were ever married did you ever fly a divorced/single flag or sticker on your car? When you buy a new TV, DVD, stereo, game system etc...do you put the empty box out by the road for all the thieves riding by to see that you have new equipment? In essence what I'm saying is do you make yourself a target? Be safe not stupid, if you have any doubt how your community perceives queerness then be safe.
(disclaimer)you being you general you. Not anyone specifically.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post: