View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #58
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

I finally saw Forks Over Knives this week. Great film with great information. Here's some of it.

• The average American carries an extra 23 pounds of weight.

• Heart disease and stroke claim the lives of 460,000 American women per year.

• There are 215,000 new cases of prostate cancer per year in American men.

• “We have a growing problem and the ones who are growing are us.” – Katie Couric.

• 40% of Americans today are obese.

• Almost one in five American four-year-olds are now considered to be obese.

• “This could be the first generation of children in the United States that lives less than its parents.” – Richard Carmona, former Surgeon General of the United States.

• “We have an unprecedented amount of type II diabetes in our children, and we are starting to see hypertension in our children in grammar school.” – Richard Carmona, former Surgeon General of the United States.

• About half of all Americans are taking some form of prescription drug.

• We spend $2.2 trillion on health care, over five times the amount we spend on the defense budget.

• We pay more per person for health care than any industrialized country in the world yet we are sicker than ever.

• Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure are all diet-related health issues that cost this country more than 120 billion dollars per year.