Old 09-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Gosh, i've never thought of putting up a mirror either. It does make sense. I think many of us have jumped like a cat straight up in the air with claws in the ceiling when you are all busy working and some says "hey" right behind your ear.

But, looking at this from all angles, I can sorta understand the other girl's position too. Not that i agree, but i have worked in enough office situations to understand how someone could feel violated in some sort of way if another party had a mirror for any reason and could see someone else.

It's kinda like having a fake mirror in front of you at work not knowing if management or anyone was staring at you or not. It's loss of control over what someone is doing "to" you.

I'm assuming you are in a cube without a real door or just shutting the door and putting a bell or something on it would alert you if someone came in.

I have a couple of suggestions, for what they are worth...

1. Put a sign on the outside of cubbie that says...please knock. I've seen this in cubbies before when people have their backs to the door opening.

2. Try to get to know this person, as others have said and maybe change out work space. You said your back is to the door so i'm assuming her's isn't? Maybe ask her for advice. Putting the hat on her she may be more understanding and help you solve the problem which she may find herself solving it with the mirror anyway.

3. One man that i worked with in a cubbie was answering the phone all day and had on ear phones and didn't want to be scared to death so he got a simple rope, like you tie on your car when you haul something and put up thumb tacs in each side of the cubbie and made a sort of velvet rope type thing across his door. Then we had to get his attention from the cubbie entrance to open it to let us in.

4. Absolutely talk to your sups about it if talking to your rommie doesn't work. If you are a neebie and she is just coming back after being off work, her attitude doesn't sound like she will just let this drop. Talk to them before she does and get suggestions from them as to what to do.

A simple snap snap with the cubbie desk parts and a rearrange could solve the whole thing.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!
!
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: