MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I'm starting this thread because I'm seeking answers from those who know the rules of office etiquette better than I. But I hope others also can post their questions and advice here too.

Here's mine:

Okay - I have a small convex mirror (bigger than a quarter, but still relatively small) adhered to my monitor so people don't come up behind me and scare the bejeezus out of me. I have been at this job about a month and a half, and a woman who has been out with an injury just came back two days ago.

Today, she asked me why I had a mirror on my monitor, and was it so I could see what she was doing on her computer (she sits behind me, but the door is also behind me). I said, no, the mirror is too small for me to see anything she's doing. I tend to jump out of my skin if somebody approaches me from behind and I don't know they are coming. I asked if it bothered her, and she said, "yes, actually, it does."

I don't want to remove my mirror. I did move my monitor so the mirror doesn't show her in its line of sight, but now I'm getting a crick in my neck.

SO: Is my having a small mirror on my monitor a breach of office etiquette? Should I take it down out of consideration for her feelings, or will this encourage her to make future unreasonable demands? Have you ever been bothered by somebody in your office having a mirror attached to their desk, monitor or wall? Am I being an ass?

To whom it may concern: You did the right thing by asking if it effected her and she told you. How ever thats your work place and if your not objecting any obsticles in her way as in " keeping her from doing her job" you should leave the mirror and computer where you had it to begin with. One you told her your reason for having it. and theres nothing in any manual stating that you can't have a small mirror unless your on a correctional facility then that would be a violation of security! But still check with your boss to make sure its ok that you can have small mirror attached on your monitor. Doesnt hurt to ask.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post: