apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation
Default rainbow swiss chard and buttermilk mashed potatoes.

let me tell you about the rainbow swiss chard!

people don't apparently know what to do with chard, so let me tell you: first you wash it well, remove the stems (take a knife and just slide it down the stem, the leaves peel right off and it makes you look all chef-like), set the leaves aside, dice, saute only the stems in a tbl of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, when they start to turn, add the leaves that you've sliced/or ripped apart into 3 or so inch pieces. stir, add another pinch of salt, turn down the heat, cover and enjoy in 5 minutes. (i turn off the heat and let it wilt for 10 minutes but i like my vegetables on the brink of steamed and raw, personal preference.)

another variation is to skip the olive oil and use a couple of strips of diced bacon in the bottom of the pot, saute the diced stems in the bacon fat, and same as above--add the leaves after, since they cook so fast. --and what isn't good in bacon fat?

i just personally feel bad eating pork because pigs know their names, and are very dog-like.

*also, a dash of red/wine vinegar really brings out the flavor in the chard, once it's plated--my parents would make the bacon-variety chard but i didn't develop a taste for the vinegar until much later; i say use sparingly.

and low-fat buttermilk mashed potatoes. (never use black pepper on mashed potatoes, it's white, only. trust. and i was lazy or i would have added some fresh oven-roasted garlic.)

--> i cooked because 1. i can but pretend that i don't know how, and 2. we're going to the vegetable co-op tomorrow and the fridge needs to be organized <3
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post: