Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Those Microsoft people....repair center......have been trying to get me to log on to my computer at home so they can 'fix the problem' for over a year. If you ask to speak to a supervisor they tell you the supervisor is busy and then start the script all over. I told them 'my momma didn't raise a fool' and no 'I have never registered a PC with anyone, anywhere, at any address.....that makes them stutter for a minute, then the script.....I also ask them where they got my phone number and they hang up......laughin.....And they never ever have my have my first name right.....

The phone number they call from changes every time they call.....and if you call that number you get nothing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I figured it may be worthwhile to start a thread on things to watch for. This include weird emails asking for passwords, offering free money (no one gives any money, especially from Nigeria), and the like.

Today's scam warning is this:

Phone call scam: Windows is infected!

So I just got this one. I've had this happen to me before and I suspect it is because Dell's registration system got compromised a while ago. Basically, the caller (who speaks very, very poor english and has a script that they work from) says that they have detected that your system is infected (his words were "infected with evil software"). Even when I've told him that I've used Mac he'll insist that they can be infected as well (not true; to date there exists no cross-platform virus).

Microsoft, Dell and other computer vendors will NOT call you to let you know you are infected. They will not email you either. You have to be proactive in this regards (this is because there are far too many users out there for them to monitor).

Best way to deal with it: Get their phone number and contact the better business bureau or Department of Consumer Affairs (or whatever the equivalent is in your state/province) to file a complaint. Then ask your phone provider to block them.

if you want to have fun, you can let the caller know that you will be notifying the FBI, local police and ask for their manager. When I threatened to do this, the guy called me a "bastard", laughed and then hung up.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post: