Queenie

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,891 Times in 523 Posts
Queenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST Reputation

I started getting this one a few years ago. The fist time it happened, I found it really funny because at the time I had an old apple computer. And the day they called my old apple was dead! So, I didn't even have a working computer! Once I realized it was a scam I hanged up on the person.
A few months passed and it happened again. I laughed at the person and hanged up on them.
Luckily I don't get these sorts of calls any longer. What got me and my husband was, what if you are old or have mental problems you might believe everything they are saying. And that is what is so scary about it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

Today's scam warning is this:

Phone call scam: Windows is infected!

So I just got this one. I've had this happen to me before and I suspect it is because Dell's registration system got compromised a while ago. Basically, the caller (who speaks very, very poor english and has a script that they work from) says that they have detected that your system is infected (his words were "infected with evil software"). Even when I've told him that I've used Mac he'll insist that they can be infected as well (not true; to date there exists no cross-platform virus).

Microsoft, Dell and other computer vendors will NOT call you to let you know you are infected. They will not email you either. You have to be proactive in this regards (this is because there are far too many users out there for them to monitor).

Best way to deal with it: Get their phone number and contact the better business bureau or Department of Consumer Affairs (or whatever the equivalent is in your state/province) to file a complaint. Then ask your phone provider to block them.

if you want to have fun, you can let the caller know that you will be notifying the FBI, local police and ask for their manager. When I threatened to do this, the guy called me a "bastard", laughed and then hung up.
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: