Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I hear you. One of the striking differences to me, anyway, between now and the Vietnam years is the lack of protests. I was pretty young during the late '60's and early '70's, so my memory might be dim, but I recall a lot more protests on colleges (and attended Kent State much later) over Vietnam. I just haven't seen the same about Iraq, Afghanistan, or wherever we get involved. Protests may not affect policy, of course, but I think to the protesters it was a way to be heard and feel like they were doing "something". We just seem more apathetic today.

I like to write to the newspaper or online, whether or not it gets published. I follow more interactive sites like Huffpost. I don't know if the Red Crescent or Cross has been allowed in Syria but donating to that organization in the name of someplace they have gone might be an idea. I write my representatives, whether they act on it or not. But I hear you, and sometimes feel very powerless to affect anything.

I am sorry that you are personally affected by events in the Middle East-I mean much more than a broad issue like oil prices. I will keep the country and your friends in my thoughts.