Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Late Saturday Evening: April 8th, 2006 (part 1)

Pulling up to the Iron Skillet, the truck stop that stayed open 24/7/365 off of the freeway that went up and down the corridor of the valley, CC and Dayle wandered into the restaurant to find a table. It was packed out for as early in the morning as it was. They didn't know if a table would be available, but spied three vacant bar stools by the circular counter near the front end of the restaurant. They headed over to take two of the chairs and picked up the menus, cradled by the salt and pepper shakers, in front of them. Browsing the menu for breakfast, the waitress came by with coffee and asked if they wanted some while they waited to place their order. They nodded.

“I'll take regular with cream and sugar,” said CC.

“Me too,” Dayle added.

The waitress filled their cups with coffee and told them she would be right back with cream and sugar; then take their order for breakfast.

It was a good thing that truck stop’s stayed open all the time: especially the ones where people could smoke in the bar counter area. While waiting for their waitress to bring the sugar and cream, CC lit an Al Capone, while deciding what to order for breakfast.

“I'm going to have the Early Breakfast special – the one with hash browns, eggs, any way you want them, and bacon, with Sour Dough toast on the side. What about you Dayle,” said CC, as Hy put the menu down and took a drag off the Capone and let the smoke drift as Hy mouthed O-ring’s.

“I think I am going to have Steak and Eggs with Biscuits and gravy. God, I am starved! I am glad we could stop here and talk for a bit while eating. CC - what is this thing that is going on out at the park, east of town, where she found those clues?” Dayle inquisitively asked.

“You know, Dayle, for as long as I have known her, she’s always had this strange sense of timing for getting herself smack in the middle of something that’s often not really about her at all! She stopped to rest at the park a few weeks ago, after a hectic day in town - something to do with terrible service with a cell phone company and while she was out there, she came upon a missing shoe. Well, if you know her well at all, she has this sixth sense about her; she always wants to follow the trail, if you know what I mean. One thing led to another and she found part of a dress, broken handcuffs, and marks left in a tree that looked like they were made by a sharp object. Then she took a picture of a piece of jewelry she found stuck in the bark. It seemed like antique jewelry, after hearing her describe it. She said that the type of jewelry that it was certainly was insightful about the owner, that they definitely had exquisite taste because she was positive that it cost and arm and leg to have that type of jewelry” CC recounted the information to Dayle, as Hy took one last hit off Hiz cigar, then crushed it out in the ash tray, on the counter of the bar.

Dayle sat on the bar stool making it half from side to side, as Hy listened to the story CC’s account. Thinking for a moment, then looking at the person approaching them, Dayle said – “Looks like we have company CC. Det. Frank Harris is coming this way.”

CC and Dayle both stood up and greeted the Detective as the waitress was finally coming with their condiments for coffee. “Are you guys ready to order yet,” the waitress asked? “Would you like some coffee Detective?” The Detective nodded and took a seat with Dayle and CC at the bar. The waitress poured the coffee for him and mentioned she would be back in just a bit, giving them more time to order since the Detective was looking at the menu now, too.

“I just learned from the Rescue Unit about the amazing recovery you both made on the mountain tonight,” Det. Harris remarked. “I wondered why I hadn't heard back from her today when I left a message on her cell. How is she doing CC?”

“I left her not long ago. She is heavily sedated and of course, she was hurt badly. She broke 4 ribs on her right side and one of the ribs punctured her lung. On top of it, she has a head injury that they stitched up, but the nurse say she will heal in time. They are going to keep her for a day or so until she is stabilized and then when she’s ready to be released, she is to call me and I will go pick her up and take her home,” CC debriefed to Harris.

Just then the waitress came back to take their orders. “Okay, can I get for you boys this morning and will you need separate ticket?”

CC , Dayle and Det. Harris looked at each other, and then Harris spoke first.

“I am picking up the tab this morning since these fine people did a heroic job of rescuing a nice lady this morning up on the mountain! I'll go first. I am having pancakes and eggs over easy, with coffee, of course, and orange juice.”

“Early Breakfast for me, Ma'am,” said CC.
“Steak and egg's over easy, Ma'am, and I will take some grapefruit juice too,” Dayle added.

“Nice order guys! I'll be back in about 15 to 20 minutes with your breakfast and will you holler when you want more coffee because it's busy this morning and I don't want to intrude on your conversation in progress,” the waitress said. “Thank you” they said in unison, while smiling at the waitress. The truck stop had the best breakfast in town and they were thankful for the waitress being sensitive to their privacy.

Harris took up the conversation once the waitress left. “I was going to talk with her about the jewelry she found implanted in the bark of the tree. We have a person working on that now, trying to discover where that particular piece of jewelry came from. But we haven't had any luck with area jewelers from the valley. Apparently this piece is quite rare,” he said.

After digesting Harris’ comment, Dayle took over. “You know, I might be of assistance to you. I have quite an extensive background in identifying artifacts of that particular nature. Would there be any chance of seeing what this piece looks like,” Dayle asked?

“Yes,”CC chimed in behind Dayle, “That makes total sense to me. I hope you can identify that piece of jewelry. I wonder if, by chance, we should also put some feelers out to the local gay and lesbian community in the valley. This could help us to find any information about the jewelry or possibly the victim, too.”

“That’s an excellent idea, CC and Dayle. This is why I stopped in the restaurant this morning on my way to the office: I saw your rig out in the parking lot” countered Harris. “It occurred to me late in the afternoon, the place where it happened and the fact that the park is frequented by members of that community, I thought that coming to you might help us get to the bottom of what transpired out there.”

Just then, the waitress came back with all three orders. “Here’s breakfast! Hot off the griddle,” she said with a smile. “Do any of you want a coffee refill?” she asked, as she finished delivering orders of food to their respective place of order. “Sure, Yes” they said in unison, cracking up with laughter because, once again, they had answered at the same time with the same words! All three of them dug into their food and with not a moment to spare, the waitress was back to fill their cups again, leaving more sugar and cream and their shared ticket for the food.

After breakfast and small talk, they all got up and began to make arrangements for the day.

“Dayle” Harris began, “If you have time right now, you can follow me down to the station and have a look at those pictures. How does that sound to you?” Harris said, as he left two twenties on the counter under the ticket which included a nice tip for the waitress.

“Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the station we go” chuckled Dayle, as Hy nudged CC. “You coming, CC” Dayle inquired?

“No, I’m beat. I'm gonna go home and crash and then call you later today; to see what you find out about the jewelry. I should be up by noon. Give me a jingle on the cell. I'll be out in the work shop taking a look at Jezebel, assessing damages and making a list of things I’ll have to get to fix her back up. Okay, Dayle,” CC inquired?

“Sounds like a plan, 'Stan',” both the Detective and Dayle said, as they shared a chuckle together! They busted out laughing at the strange coincidence of saying things in unison at what seemed the weirdest times ever. Leaving for the day, CC went to Hiz ranch and Det. Harris and Dayle went to the station to check out the photos taken at the park.

(part 1)
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: