Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

https://abc13.com/rodney-reed-execut...peals/5699822/

If there is proof he didn't do it, why hasn't it been brought up till now? If he is guilty, fry him.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #3862
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
https://abc13.com/rodney-reed-execut...peals/5699822/

If there is proof he didn't do it, why hasn't it been brought up till now? If he is guilty, fry him.
If there is an atom of doubt that a convicted person may not have committed the crime for which they will be executed, execution is a cruel, unfitting and unusual punishment for most crimes. A much more fitting punishment would life in Super Max prison with, yes with, the possibility of parole under certain conditions.

Internal war, coup d'tat, or a revolution is quite a different situation. The war crimes as determined by the victor should be tried in a military tribunal similar to the Nuremberg trials or The USSR tribunals.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:38 PM   #3863
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Nunes faces potential ethics review over alleged meeting with Ukrainian official..

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) could face a review of whether he violated House ethics rules by allegedly meeting with a former Ukrainian official to get dirt on the Bidens on a taxpayer-funded trip. At least one outside group has filed a complaint against Nunes with the independent Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE), which can review cases against lawmakers and refer them to the House Ethics Committee.

The Democratic Coalition, a liberal group, filed an ethics complaint against Nunes, with the OCE alleging that he violated House rules by having a conflict of interest in the impeachment inquiry if he had interactions with people under investigation and by engaging in political activity while on official business.

Him and his pious demeanor during the hearings were so sickening. Oh how I hope they fry this little piss-ant....
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 12:14 AM   #3864
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
If there is an atom of doubt that a convicted person may not have committed the crime for which they will be executed, execution is a cruel, unfitting and unusual punishment for most crimes. A much more fitting punishment would life in Super Max prison with, yes with, the possibility of parole under certain conditions.

Internal war, coup d'tat, or a revolution is quite a different situation. The war crimes as determined by the victor should be tried in a military tribunal similar to the Nuremberg trials or The USSR tribunals.
If he did commit this crime, its cheaper to fry him then it is to house him, max security prisons are expensive to continue to run. The whole system needs an overhaul, I am for lethal injection, electric chair, hanging, firing squad punishments.

There is a whole list of crimes that people deserve to die for, as a person who has a loved on in prison, the one my half bro committed, he should have been dead by now, to me there is no such thing as rehabiliating a criminal.

Oklahoma and Texas are ranked 1 and 2 for being death states, to me the states cant execute these people fast enough, save us tax payers money for once.

This continuing court cases going back and forth is wasting more money, that can go to other things, pisses me off!
Old 11-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #3865
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The homeless are fed and embraced across the country at Thanksgiving. The rest of the year? Cities are pushing back!

It just slays me now how all of a sudden, within these past few years, public elected officials have sat up and taken notice of the homeless problem! Perhaps they thought if they ignored the problem long enough it'd just go away??

When I moved to Seattle in 2002 there were homeless living on the streets but it wasn't ever addressed as I remember. If some event came to the city they'd force the homeless to another area so as not to distract from whatever was happening. Other than that mostly it wasn't mentioned or reported on!

Within these past years Seattle has experienced a building boom! Downtown, West Seattle, Ballard, the list goes on and on. Developer swooped in and bought up properties, tore down perfectly good affordable housing only to replace it with condos or rentals units that were far beyond the cost that the average working stiff could afford. The rub was, often times there were zoning laws that should of prevented this but mysteriously *cough cough* got changed in quick order!

So now, with so much of the once affordable housing gone, is it any wonder there is even more of a homelessness problem. The Mayor of Seattle, the Common Council, the Board Of Supervisors, etc etc are all running around now like chickens with their heads cuts off trying to come up with solutions to this problem when they should of been paying attention all along!
Old 11-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #3866
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
If he did commit this crime, its cheaper to fry him then it is to house him, max security prisons are expensive to continue to run. The whole system needs an overhaul, I am for lethal injection, electric chair, hanging, firing squad punishments.

There is a whole list of crimes that people deserve to die for, as a person who has a loved on in prison, the one my half bro committed, he should have been dead by now, to me there is no such thing as rehabiliating a criminal.

Oklahoma and Texas are ranked 1 and 2 for being death states, to me the states cant execute these people fast enough, save us tax payers money for once.

This continuing court cases going back and forth is wasting more money, that can go to other things, pisses me off!
Oh, I see, neither you nor one of your relatives have ever been jailed or imprisoned for something not done. Well, even just releasing can't give anyone back the weeks, months, years OR decades let alone loss of job and housing, reputation destruction, or disruption of families.
Death sentences aren't punishments they're retributions. Also, it's been proven that does nothing to prevent crime.
I'd love to see your list of crimes a person should be killed for. The only one I might agree with would be premeditated mass murder if the crime meets certain conditions.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #3867
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Oh, I see, neither you nor one of your relatives have ever been jailed or imprisoned for something not done. Well, even just releasing can't give anyone back the weeks, months, years OR decades let alone loss of job and housing, reputation destruction, or disruption of families.
Death sentences aren't punishments they're retributions. Also, it's been proven that does nothing to prevent crime.
I'd love to see your list of crimes a person should be killed for. The only one I might agree with would be premeditated mass murder if the crime meets certain conditions.
You really wanna go there with me?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #3868
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Lets see...

Any type of sex offense, rape, pedophilia, bestiality, etc

Murder any class of murder... That includes my half bro who should be dead for his crime.

Any class of violent crime... If you're violent with humans, animals you need to go too.

Having people who are guilty, sitting there wasting tax money irks me. I don't believe in rehabilitation of a person with a sick mind....
Old 11-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #3869
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,363 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

re: death penalties-i don't see them resolving any of society's ills, bringing back loved ones or restoring the overall peace and tranquility of a community...killing is killing...housing those ill favored individuals won't redeem them it's true but neither does agreeing to kill them makes us a better society. Killing as punishment or for any reason is a indictment of a society that is rampant in greed, evil and has no mercy for the less fortunate..We are violent creatures and would rather wallow in a filthy soup filled with violence as a means to an end rather then search diligently and fervently to resolve poverty and seek all available means to provide equal opportunity for all individuals and to banish want..value charity and the inestimable worth of each creature on this planet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #3870
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
re: death penalties-i don't see them resolving any of society's ills, bringing back loved ones or restoring the overall peace and tranquility of a community...killing is killing...housing those ill favored individuals won't redeem them it's true but neither does agreeing to kill them makes us a better society. Killing as punishment or for any reason is a indictment of a society that is rampant in greed, evil and has no mercy for the less fortunate..We are violent creatures and would rather wallow in a filthy soup filled with violence as a means to an end rather then search diligently and fervently to resolve poverty and seek all available means to provide equal opportunity for all individuals and to banish want..value charity and the inestimable worth of each creature on this planet.
So you think pedophiles, sex offenders, abusers, etc should continue to live on this earth?
Old 11-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #3871
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Gee whiz, couple of years ago (and maybe still ) we would have executed all "gay" persons and anyone buying a dildo or other sex toy...sexual perverts and all.
Maybe the only people we should consider executing are the ones who would execute others. Probably be a lot less executing going on if we did that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #3872
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
So you think pedophiles, sex offenders, abusers, etc should continue to live on this earth?
I don't think repaying cruelty with more cruelty will help things at all J..i hope someday you can see my point of view or even better live in a world where this is possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #3873
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
I don't think repaying cruelty with more cruelty will help things at all J..i hope someday you can see my point of view or even better live in a world where this is possible.
Sorry no. Not gonna happen. But you answered my question by not answering at all.

I refuse to live in a world where sick fucks get to roam where their victims hide or kill themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #3874
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,014 Times in 5,082 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I used to think this way, JDeere. To me, it was a simple matter of numbers - if someone did something that deserved death, it was cheaper to execute them than to keep them alive in some prison. It made perfect sense to me that people who didn't deserve to live, also didn't deserve to live off my money for the rest of their lives. I also (still think) it is not good to put people in the position of being prison guards. I think it is bad for them psychologically, and turns them into the kind of people we really don't need in society (and this remains an unsolved problem).

But more recently, I have decided that perhaps it is worth the money to keep people in prison. For instance, it is just not possible for our justice system to be right every time - so, if we kill everyone that we think deserves it, we will be wrong sometimes. Executing those people is just wrong, whether we do it in good faith or not.

I don't think some laws are perfect, either - for instance, the one for pedophiles. What if it's a 20-year-old who sleeps consensually with a 17-year-old - should we call that 20-year-old a pedophile? There are certainly some communities that would do so if the two people were the same gender, or perhaps if the parents of the 17-year-old wanted to put a stop to the relationship.

Also, there are people it is not a good idea to kill for the sake of society - for instance, Charles Manson. Charles Manson is clearly crazy and evil, and possibly the best thing for him and everyone else would have been to execute him. However, society can't risk making him into a folk hero. There are mass murderers and cult leaders and well-known Nazis and others that we can't execute simply because we don't want to turn them into martyrs for those causes.

And finally, I also decided that it is just more important to show mercy in most cases. Leaving people in prison to rot is more merciful in my mind than executing them. It is not even so much that it is important for the bad people to receive mercy; to me, it's even more important that good people (and bad people who don't get caught) show mercy. That's the kind of society I want to live in - not an "eye for an eye" kind of world, but the kind where people show each other mercy.

No problem here if you disagree with me - many people often do. I certainly think I understand your point of view, and a small part of me, in some circumstances, agrees with you.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #3875
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
I used to think this way, JDeere. To me, it was a simple matter of numbers - if someone did something that deserved death, it was cheaper to execute them than to keep them alive in some prison. It made perfect sense to me that people who didn't deserve to live, also didn't deserve to live off my money for the rest of their lives. I also (still think) it is not good to put people in the position of being prison guards. I think it is bad for them psychologically, and turns them into the kind of people we really don't need in society (and this remains an unsolved problem).

But more recently, I have decided that perhaps it is worth the money to keep people in prison. For instance, it is just not possible for our justice system to be right every time - so, if we kill everyone that we think deserves it, we will be wrong sometimes. Executing those people is just wrong, whether we do it in good faith or not.

I don't think some laws are perfect, either - for instance, the one for pedophiles. What if it's a 20-year-old who sleeps consensually with a 17-year-old - should we call that 20-year-old a pedophile? There are certainly some communities that would do so if the two people were the same gender, or perhaps if the parents of the 17-year-old wanted to put a stop to the relationship.

Also, there are people it is not a good idea to kill for the sake of society - for instance, Charles Manson. Charles Manson is clearly crazy and evil, and possibly the best thing for him and everyone else would have been to execute him. However, society can't risk making him into a folk hero. There are mass murderers and cult leaders and well-known Nazis and others that we can't execute simply because we don't want to turn them into martyrs for those causes.

And finally, I also decided that it is just more important to show mercy in most cases. Leaving people in prison to rot is more merciful in my mind than executing them. It is not even so much that it is important for the bad people to receive mercy; to me, it's even more important that good people (and bad people who don't get caught) show mercy. That's the kind of society I want to live in - not an "eye for an eye" kind of world, but the kind where people show each other mercy.

No problem here if you disagree with me - many people often do. I certainly think I understand your point of view, and a small part of me, in some circumstances, agrees with you.

Yes i disagree of course. But when something happens to family personally.. You get tired of being kind.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #3876
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Killers

This is truly a difficult subject for everyone. Once upon a time, I bumped into an acquaintance who was chatting outside a coffee place with someone I didn't know, and so I said hi, and my acquaintance went to fetch coffee, and left me standing there alone with this really big fella. This fella was wearing biker logo, and so I took the opportunity to talk one-on-one with this fella, and being bloody curious, I began to talk about feelings cause I wondered what someone like that felt in his heart. (I was aware that this particular gang had to earn their "logo" by killing someone.).... So..... I asked him what he felt in his heart. And, curiously, he answered completely. He said that when he did feel inside, he felt a coldness. Without going into detail, I met someone else who had killed many years before, and the coldness coming off of him was incredible - so much so that I had to move away. I have understood that anyone who kills anyone has this inside of them, and there is nothing that would empty/heal this coldness, nothing, nothing at all, not even organized religion could "save" them. The thing is, for me at least, that anyone who kills anyone else has literally "killed" themselves.

Personally, I would not like to sit in judgement over anyone. I would feel responsible in some way, and this is not acceptable to me. I wouldn't want the bad karma associated with such a responsibility. So, the problem remains what to do with such monsters...? Obviously, they should never be allowed to live in the same world as I do and move around freely where they might harm anyone else again. Please understand that I live in Canada, where capital punishment is no longer permitted. So, the only thing I can say is that there is the judgement of life imprisonment, with no chance of parole, ever. That would be my take on the subject.

There is also the problem that approx. 1 in 25 people who are in prison for x sort of crimes who is innocent, and might possibly be exonerated. (I saw that on TV, hope I got the stats right ... not sure)

What I do know of criminal justice is that it was originally based on vengeance, an eye-for-eye... and tooth-for-tooth. The clever words of those in the legal profession seem to have morphed the idea of "vengeance" into the idea of "justice", a rather stupid euphemism. I do not feel nor think that this is justice, it is only a judgement. And, I would add, I do not believe for one minute that vengeance enacted can in any way "heal" the grieving relatives - those left behind.

What I have learned and understood is that there are professionals such as profilers who have studied "monsters" who are imprisoned and have used that understanding to catch other monsters. Not only that, but have used that understanding to discover the fact of very young kids starting off by doing harm (for example, to small animals) and someone being alerted to that and social services intervening.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #3877
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

J..i never suggested nor do i believe those who have harmed people or other creatures should roam around freely...never should they be allowed out again but locked away securely and treated humanely..having access to decent food, mental health care, and an approved library for reading, access to some (in prison) college classes, outgoing mail w approval..access to internet?...probably not..No cell phones. Limited visitation from lawyers and close relations and all their correspondence and visitors should be checked thoroughly for objects and substances they shouldn't have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #3878
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
J..i never suggested nor do i believe those who have harmed people or other creatures should roam around freely...never should they be allowed out again but locked away securely and treated humanely..having access to decent food, mental health care, and an approved library for reading, access to some (in prison) college classes, outgoing mail w approval..access to internet?...probably not..No cell phones. Limited visitation from lawyers and close relations and all their correspondence and visitors should be checked thoroughly for objects and substances they shouldn't have.
Umm they already have access to all this including drugs, cell phones, etc.

Prisoners get better health care then non prisoners do.

The system allows them the use of notebook internet deals to check emails from family, etc.

So again taking my tax dollars to live better than me and feel no remorse, naw not cool. Maybe one day someone may burn down all the prisons with all the inmates in them. Spare us a shit ton of tax dollars to put back into other areas it's needed.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #3879
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Hallmark channel caves to homophobes....

Not all is merry and bright in the land of endless Christmas known at The Hallmark Channel. Following a petition by a bunch of hateful homophobes, Hallmark has pulled a series of adds from wedding planning company Zola because they feature – GASP! – a lesbian couple kissing.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #3880
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation
Default Breaking news: women get horny

(I pasted the whole thing due to paywall)

NYT: The Year Women Got ‘Horny’

Women reclaimed a word once the province of crass boys and men who are boys.

By Tracie Egan Morrissey
Dec. 13, 2019

Coffee, “Star Wars,” turtlenecks, grief: These four seemingly unrelated things are “horny” — or induce horniness — at least according to many young women online, who are openly asserting their desires with a term long thought of as crass and juvenile.

But now, like vape stores or a broken container of glitter, it’s suddenly everywhere.

Take the last few months, when people called chicken parm, Ariana Grande’s “Christmas and Chill” EP and the obsessions of right-wing conspiracy theorists “horny.” While promoting “Hustlers,” Jennifer Lopez told GQ, “A lot of things make me horny.” It would seem as though people are horny for the word itself.

Phonetically speaking, “horny” is ugly. It lends itself to a nasal sound that’s comically inelegant. “Horny” is the aural equivalent of those Chinese Crested dogs that are so ugly that it’s actually funny — endearing, even. “Horny” has benefited, in part, from that same so-bad-it’s-good rationality.

“I used to hate the word,” Sophia Benoit said. “I used to think it was so disgusting.” Ms. Benoit writes a column for GQ about the sexiest things that men did during the month, called “Horny on Main,” which on the internet means posting sexually charged content to your main social media account, as opposed to posting on a separate, and likely secret, account that was created for that purpose. (According to Know Your Meme, a website that investigates and documents online phenomena, the first appearance of “horny on main” was in June 2016.)

“But I love it now, because I think we, especially women, have reclaimed it and made it not gross,” Ms. Benoit said.

And it’s true that, before this renaissance, “horny” had been gross for quite a long time. For many, the word has been most closely associated with unbridled adolescent male arousal thanks to conventional teen sex comedies like “Porky’s” or “American Pie.”

It was mischievous, it was socially acceptable, but above all, it was decidedly masculine. It’s a perception that was hundreds of years in the making.

This will probably come as a shock to absolutely no one, but the word “horny” stems from the description of an animal horn. Twenty-five years ago, William Safire wrote about “horny” for his etymology column in The New York Times Magazine, noting that a “horn is hard; it is shaft-shaped; since the 15th century, it has been used as a symbol for the male’s erect sex organ.”

But here we are, half a millennium later, and women are not just aroused, not just sexual beings, but are, indeed, horny, and reclaiming a word that never really applied to them to begin with.

“Horny” first went mainstream about halfway into 2018. That year, The Cut, a female-focused vertical from New York Magazine, dedicated all its content during one week to “summer horniness.”

Broadly, a female-focused vertical from Vice Media (which I used to edit), published a year-end roundup of “the horniest things that happened.” Teen Vogue explained what horny is and how to spot it to its young readership.

And of course, there was the “horny Beto tweet” that brought horny Twitter to many people’s timelines: Leah McElrath, a middle-aged political analyst, compared the potential Democratic presidential candidates Richard Ojeda, Michael Avenatti and Beto O’Rourke in terms of graphic sexual analogies.

Around the same time, BuzzFeed started “Thirst Aid Kit,” a podcast hosted by Bim Adewunmi and Nichole Perkins. (“Thirst” is a term that can take a few different meanings, including overt eagerness — yes, sexually). The show was canceled, along with several other BuzzFeed podcasts, but was later picked up by Slate in September.

It’s possible that after a solid year of #MeToo, in which women were using social media to publicly share sexual harassment and abuse allegations, asserting what they didn’t want, maybe it felt good to pivot to communicating what they did want. Expressing one’s horniness, as a woman, represents a significant shift from that of sexual object to sexual subject.

Allison P. Davis, a staff writer for New York magazine and The Cut, considers it a form of thwarting the patriarchy.

“It’s being used as a sort of overcorrection to this idea that women can’t be heard when they express their desires,” Ms. Davis said. “It’s a big, bold way of taking up space.”

She would know. Ms. Davis is writing a book called “Horny,” a combination of personal storytelling and cultural reporting on “one of the last great taboos: female horniness.” It is due out next year from Avid Reader Press.

Ms. Benoit also thinks that the substantial contextual difference in this modern form of horniness is rooted in women’s liberation. “I think what is so nice about the reclaiming of ‘horny’ for the people that are using it now is that it’s from people whose horniness hasn’t been harmful to others, historically.”

However, she says that the recent popularization of “horny” predates the sexual harassment scandals of 2017 and 2018, first popping up on Twitter three or four years ago. “I think #MeToo came from women already knowing that they can have sex on their own terms, which is what horny is about,” she said.

A People’s History of Horny Culture

The idea that women could at once loathe sexual impropriety and desire dirty sex seems simple and obvious, yet it’s been an agonizingly protracted journey for us to arrive here.

In the early 1980s, “the feminist sex wars” — polarizing debates within the women’s movement around issues like sexual activity and pornography — heralded feminism’s third wave, with sex-positive writers like Susie Bright, Camille Paglia and Annie Sprinkle discussing and advocating women’s sexual desires, a topic that remained a subversive concept for decades to come.

In 1992, Madonna’s artistic exploration of her own horniness was brought to the mainstream with the release of her coffee table book, “Sex,” and her album “Erotica.” Both efforts were, at the time, received with vitriol by critics who believed she had “gone too far,” but are considered today as misunderstood masterpieces.

The market for vibrators is a fast and dirty way to grasp the glacial pace of progress in this matter. Good Vibrations, the pioneering, women-friendly sex-toy retailer, was founded in San Francisco in 1977.

Twenty years later, vibrator shopping was depicted as a healthy and normal element of female sexuality on an episode of “Sex and the City,” and then another 20 years after that, vibrators became available for sale in Walmart. And yet, despite sex toys for women being stocked and sold in the largest retailer in America, there are still plenty of people who still just don’t get it.

“The narrative, that women don’t get as horny as men, is starting, very slowly, to crack,” Ms. Benoit said. “I think it’s going to take a long time because the bedrock of that belief is still there.”

The age-old misperception that men get horny and women don’t was sharply addressed and debunked in a 2017 episode of “Big Mouth,” Netflix’s animated series about a group of seventh graders navigating their way through puberty. The episode is called “Girls Are Horny Too,” and the revelation promised by the title makes several (male) characters’ heads explode.

Female adolescent sexuality was also explored in the first season of “Pen15,” Hulu’s comedy series about two 13-year-old girls — played by adult women, Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle — in “middle school as it really happened.” In the episode “Ojichan,” Ms. Erskine’s character discovers masturbation and it quickly becomes an obsession that dominates her life.

The contemporary, healthy representations of puberty and horniness in these two shows are, in a way, retroactively healing the scars of shame we have brought with us into adulthood.

This hornier shift in pop-cultural depictions of women has certainly played an important part in both advancing horny’s favor and evolving society’s understanding of female sexuality. ”Fleabag,” Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s critically acclaimed British dramedy, featured a young woman whose strongest character trait — being horny — was decidedly not male.

“Mrs. Fletcher,” the HBO mini-series about a middle-aged woman’s sexual reawakening, showcases a horny mom who can’t stop masturbating to pornography.

These episodes of “Big Mouth” and “Pen15” episodes, and “Fleabag,” were all written by women. Every episode, thus far, of “Mrs. Fletcher” has also been directed by a woman.

There’s an unsubtle distinction in arousal: Erections are visible. Women’s genitalia, for the most part, are hidden, helping to shroud female desire in mystery. Truly, the most reliable way to know if a woman is horny is if she says so. These days, women are doing just that.

Tags
breaking news, news