suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation
Default New 6.1 Quake Hits Haiti

Those poor people. They didn't need this.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

They said it could happen. Its a shame. It all worries me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It was the first thing I heard when I sat down with my coffee this morning and I just could not believe it!

How much more can these poor people take? It must be so insane down there.....God bless Haiti......

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Sad News.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

PLEASE, PLEASE! If you are (illegal) drug free, please visit your local Red Cross and give blood. It doesn't take long and is mostly painless. And, it's good for you. That small donation could be a huge gift to someone.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Wow. This gets harder and harder: Haiti's Women's Movement loses 3 leaders due to Quake

And unfortunately, I can't give blood (apparently being trans bars you for life) but I will donate funds to ensure my company can make a larger donation (they setup a fund where they match employees donations.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Watching CNN right now (6:45 am/Saturday 1.23.10) and here is some of what I've heard:

* Over 100,000 have died.

* The Haitian government has now called off the search for survivors.

* At the airport, there are stacks and stacks of medicines and infant formula....waiting.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta just went to the airport with a cart and got as much as he could carry ~ and they gave it to him! ~ and took it back to a hospital.

* The UN reports that they pulled about 130 from the rubble....is that it? That blew me away. I just knew it would be more than that. But I guess that speaks to just how devastating it is.

I can't even imagine the logistical nightmare. Who's in charge? Does it make sense to call off the search? Could there be a chance that someone might still be alive?

* There was a report of a 109 year old woman who was rescued by a granddaughter.....smiling. She was blind, but said she was here to celebrate her 110th birthday.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Wow. This gets harder and harder: Haiti's Women's Movement loses 3 leaders due to Quake

And unfortunately, I can't give blood (apparently being trans bars you for life) but I will donate funds to ensure my company can make a larger donation (they setup a fund where they match employees donations.
I didn't know that. why is that? why can't a trans give blood?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It's really tuff out there, one of my Doctors returned, said he still cannot get the stench of death off his clothes, suitcase and lungs... There in dire need of so many medical supplies. My employer bought 25 thousand dollars of pain med's, gauze and crutches, and all the other necessities and yet it didn't even seem like very much when we packed them in the plane, darn the pharmaceutical people for making medical items so damn expensive for the common people and you know that there making millions on pennies of items. Our group will be leaving Monday/Tues. for a four day tour, there worried about our health too, I really don't care about my health, there are thousands and thousands who need medical attention. And to the shippers and airlines that will not help, you all suck too! Good thing we have private jets to help take supplies needed. Haiti will need more than prayers, they need us!
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
I've never heard this before, either.

I'm also curious about Linus' statement.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
I've never heard this before, either.

I'm also curious about Linus' statement.

Since the AIDS crisis of the 1980's, the FDA has banned all men who've had sex with another male since 1977 from donating blood. This 1985 provision argued that men who have sex with other men are at higher risk of contracting and transmitting HIV (through anal intercourse) and hepatitis, posing a health risk to potential recipients. This honestly isn't fair, labeling gay/bi/transexual men/women more susceptible to contracting and transmitting HIV/AIDS.

In other words, a pre or post-op MTF who goes down to the Red Cross has to answer a questionnaire honestly stating whether or not has had sexual contact with a man. Given that she's "biologically/genetically/DNA-wise, male to the Red Cross", it's considered "gay sex", particularly anal penetration. Doesn't matter if it was a million years ago, protected, with non-infected partner, if you've had regular negative tests and they even retest the blood, they still won't accept it.

The same would apply to FTMs who have had or do have sex with men, particularly anal, pass as male and have had all documents/gender marker changed. Those FTMs who have never had sex with men would not be affected, I would think. It really discriminates against gay men and trans women, not lesbians and trans men.

This is the way I understand the policy. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Since the AIDS crisis of the 1980's, the FDA has banned all men who've had sex with another male since 1977 from donating blood. This 1985 provision argued that men who have sex with other men are at higher risk of contracting and transmitting HIV (through anal intercourse) and hepatitis, posing a health risk to potential recipients. This honestly isn't fair, labeling gay/bi/transexual men/women more susceptible to contracting and transmitting HIV/AIDS. In other words, a pre or post-op MTF who goes down to the Red Cross has to answer a questionnaire honestly stating whether or not has had sexual contact with a man. Given that she's "biologically/genetically/DNA-wise, male to the Red Cross", it's considered "gay sex", particularly anal penetration. Doesn't matter if it was a million years ago, protected, with non-infected partner, if you've had regular negative tests and they even retest the blood, they still won't accept it.

The same would apply to FTMs who have had or do have sex with men, particularly anal, pass as male and have had all documents/gender marker changed. Those FTMs who have never had sex with men would not be affected, I would think.

This is the way I understand the policy. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, there is also a policy (wrong, imo) in Canada that bans gay men from giving blood.

But, the way Linus wrote his statement reads to me that being trans is SOLE the reason for being banned from giving blood.

I get what you are saying, though. If one presents as a man, gives ID with gender marker changed to male, and answer the questions about having sex with a man since a certain year, then, yes, no blood could be given.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
cerys

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

cerys is on a distinguished road

If rescue teams were still pulling out live victims yesterday, I think it's too early to give up. It's amazing that people are still being found alive after 11 days, but just because the chance goes down doesn't mean there isn't any chance.
cerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerys View Post
If rescue teams were still pulling out live victims yesterday, I think it's too early to give up. It's amazing that people are still being found alive after 11 days, but just because the chance goes down doesn't mean there isn't any chance.
I know, this is amazing. Did you see that little boy? Really amazing.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

every bit helps so I'm posting this here as well as 2 other threads:

Significantly raising the charity stakes: All of the musical performances for the event will be available for $.99 per song through Apple's iTunes store--with all proceeds benefitting Haiti through Hope For Haiti Now charities.
Check out iTunes for more information!

Much more information about this very worthy cause can be had at http://www.hopeforhaitinow.org/.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Words will never be able to describe what happened there. Speechless is something that I *Never* am, but for once, the world came to a screeching halt...
Utter chaos is not even close to what happened.
Desperation is an understatement.
Lack of supplies? Yes.
Lack of government assistance? Yes.
Lack of clean oxygen to breath? Yes.
Emotional melt downs? Yes.
Worst thing one has ever experienced? Yes
Children confused? Yes, yet they have a strong survival mold to overcome and smile and play.
Not enough volunteers to help everyone? Yes.
Do I want to discuss my feelings about everything? Not really.
Out of thousands, we could only help 40 per day, that really sucked!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Words will never be able to describe what happened there. Speechless is something that I *Never* am, but for once, the world came to a screeching halt...
Lack of supplies? Yes.
Children confused? Yes, yet they have a strong survival mold to overcome and smile and play.

At least you were able to help those you could. Blaze take your time to process what you experienced, it is overwhelming. I wish for you sleep and no dreams.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
At least you were able to help those you could. Blaze take your time to process what you experienced, it is overwhelming. I wish for you sleep and no dreams.
Thank you my friend. I will take that wish deep to heart! Dreams I hope not to have, but nightmares are evident. And can't really sleep when you know that there is so much more to be done there, it will take months and years to reestablish a stable ground and hope there. Next tour, we think that we can get better planning and get to the area's that are in dire need of help, so that is the plus side.
The news may have slowed down, but the need will always be very prevalent. Lot's of miracles were seen, as long as they can keep the Doctors that can reset and fix and take the amputation doctors farrrrrrrrrrr away from there!
And mark my words, there are way to many Docs that want to amputate instead of trying to reset and heal because there is truly not enough medical supplies to work properly with.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #19
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Lack of supplies? Yes.

When were You there, Blaze?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
When were You there, Blaze?
Monday we left at 11:20 PM came back Thursday 10:50 PM, and will have to go back when we can come up with a better plan of tactics. The good thing is Phone catches the web, so I could still check on what was happening on the Planet, that made me feel at home while away from home.