Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,331 Times in 2,662 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeeRider
Your resturant picks sound good but those scallops and stuff sound nice too. Braggart!
I forgot to tell you about

Quote:
Chorizo Batard: thinly sliced Spanish sausage, roasted peppers, smoked cheese, garlic aioli
though I may have to swear off that bastard of a panini.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #22
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turasultana View Post
Best cupcake in NYC (no not magnolia or buttercup or crumbs - trust me on this one)

http://www.sugarsweetsunshine.com/

Sugarsweet Sunshine on Rivington Street on the lower east side. they're all amazing but my faves are "the bob" which is yellow with chocolate almond butter-cream frosting, and Pistachio which is fucking amazing.

Within a block or two is also Economy candy where you can buy all the oldtimey candy plus gourmet chocolate, (and hand dipped graham crackers covered in dark chocolate).

AND Babeland
Magnolia's frosting is too damn sweet! I end up in a sugar coma before I've made it through half of one.

My favorite regular place to go in all of New York and almost (but not entirely) exclusively for the bartender (Franchesca) who may not still be there, is Lil Frankie's on 1st Ave between 1st & 2nd Streets.

Amazing pizza from a wood fired oven imported from Napoli.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
I forgot to tell you about

though I may have to swear off that bastard of a panini.
Hold up, hold up, Ms Fancy Cut 'n Paster. There is no Chorizo Batard: thinly sliced Spanish sausage, roasted peppers, smoked cheese, garlic aioli behind the Tofu Curtain where you live.
And don't tell me the chorizo is made of soy!

Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #24
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLeo View Post
There are a bunch of amazing restaurants in Portland... especially breakfast joints. We love breakfast around here.

One of my favorites is Toast. It is a small place...but very homey. The owner is a guy who has worked in a bunch of restaurants in town and finally wanted to start one in his own neighborhood. And he works too. Seriously the guy must drink copious amounts of coffee...he is always ON.

He focuses on fresh, local ingredients.

Organic locally roasted coffee delivered by bike.

Specials of the day/week based on produce in season from CSA's.

Meat from local farmers (organic grass fed, etc)

And the staff are right on bringing you coffee, making suggestions, etc.

It is the perfect neighborhood breakfast joint.

I hear they make a mean bloody mary. I don't like tomato juice so, I admire from afar.

This is what I order the most:

The Occasional Hedonist
Sweet onion tart topped with two poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce. add rosti or sautéed greens.

http://www.toastpdx.com/

It is a wee bit more $$ because of the above, but SO worth it.
The rhubarb french toast sounds lovely!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #25
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Lefty's Chicago Pizzaria http://www.leftyspizza.com/ is tiny inside, there are only about four tables and some counter seating for a few more and also a little bit of seating outside. Although the people that work there are super friendly and the place is decked out all in Chi town sports memorabilia you don't go there for the ambiance you go there for the pizza. They have thin crust pizza that's square, deep dish and stuffed crust. You can order it by the slice too. Order at the counter or better yet call in and take out. There phone number is in my celly address book, no joke.

Lefty's pizza makes THE MOST AWESOME stuffed crust pizza ever! I recommend the Monsters of the Midway. It has sausage, pepperoni, hot giardiniera, elephant garlic and three pounds of mozza. Usually I can only eat one slice because it is HUGE so it's best to share. It's also fantastic the next day for breakfast.
They also have Chicago style hot dogs, polish sausage and all the fixins, brews and some cheap wine. Definitely one of my favorites in San Diego.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #26
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeeTiger View Post
That is really impressive. I love the commitment to local products too. Portland is someplace I would like to live or just visit. Besides the food I love the naked bicycle riding.

Oh yes, the naked bicycling. In fact, it was just this weekend. Rumor has it, there were 4000 riders this year...maybe more.

Portland really is awesome. I do love it. The rain has been *REALLY* hard to deal with this year...especially for those of us from CA. It rains here on average, intermittently 70% of the year. We cherish the sun when we have it.

Also, Portland is full of FOODIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
The rhubarb french toast sounds lovely!

I haven't had the rhubarb, but I have had their french toast. So tasty. Fresh bread! If I recall, I had one with orange zest/cardamom. MMM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #27
firie
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

firie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputation

I swear, I have had Thai food in quite a few countries, and I think some of the best is right here in Austin.

Quaint, perfect for a quick lunch, best service ever, freshest tofu in the entire city, and most affordable for quality Thai, and so quite worth a visit. Yummy. Titaya's.

Also really love this vegetarian "chain" in NYC: Candle Cafe and Candle 79. Heavenly.

And then there are breakfast tacos, which I find, the best, are Austin owned, and the cheapest at that. Tamale House by far is the quickest, cheapest and some of the tastiest breakfast tacos around. And the salsa takes the prize, I find, for just being perfect with the tacos they make. On any given weekend day, people flock to the place from as early as 6:30 am to noon or 1 or so, when there is a line out the door, as all the Austin hipsters/musicians have finally woken up, taken a bong hit, and think of Tamale House to melt away their hangovers. Tacos are only 85 cents, salsa is free and you can have as much as you want. Cash only. It's awesome.
firie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #28
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Mothers Bistro I only ever have the Ribeye, garlic mashed and sauteed spinach here. I love the decor and the staff. The owner has a great personal story and just put out a cookbook this year. She also owns Mama Mia's next door. Hands down the best Chicken Marsala I have ever eaten.

For Family Dinners, Graduations, Birthdays, etc. Tad's is usually my first pick. Fresh sourdough rolls with real butter, relish trays with baby corns! Excellent bloody mary's. I have either the pan fried oysters, ribeye or prime rib.

I'm a creature of habit, and generally order the same thing every time. I also will not wait in line for breakfast, that's just stupid. My favorite breakfast place here in Portland is Besaws where I usually have the Wild Salmon Scramble. Unless there's a line, then I get huffy and go back home.

Sassy is much more patient than I am, so she gets out more. How's that, EZ?

Posting On Command While Cranky,
June
June-y has talked about Mother's since I moved here. We finally went when Waldo was in town awhile back. The food was divine. We loved the waiter!!! He had great stories and was really funny.

I cannot remember what I ordered, which is now frustrating me. But I do know that we shared an amazing piece of cake...and I have a pic of it somewhere...

yes:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
firie
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

firie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Best cupcake in NYC (no not magnolia or buttercup or crumbs - trust me on this one)

http://www.sugarsweetsunshine.com/

Sugarsweet Sunshine on Rivington Street on the lower east side. they're all amazing but my faves are "the bob" which is yellow with chocolate almond butter-cream frosting, and Pistachio which is fucking amazing.

Within a block or two is also Economy candy where you can buy all the oldtimey candy plus gourmet chocolate, (and hand dipped graham crackers covered in dark chocolate).

AND Babeland
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeeTiger View Post
I sort of have become a cupcake snob since I moved to Arizona. They have the Sprinkles cupcake chain here. It's good! I ain't lying. Buttercream frosting, o yes!
That sounds like someplace I'll have to try! We would love to take a trip to NY. And it's really great to have some small businesses thriving. I like to support that.
I have to add one more, for Austin.

Hey Cupcake! And some of the locations are airstream!
firie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

Fave indian in NYC:

pongal (kosher/ veggie - southern)

haveli
(southern mostly)

Joy indian (on flatbush) (northern, omnivore friendly)

Tons more, but these are my current faves. I want to go to pongal tonite just for the masala cashews. yummy.
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #31
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June'y
Mothers Bistro I only ever have the Ribeye, garlic mashed and sauteed spinach here.

<snip>

Posting On Command While Cranky,
June
Where's that place where we had big drinks?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #32
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

We had a lot of fun here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #33
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Quote:
Where's that place where we had big drinks?
I wasn't in town when you visited

But I would guess you went here: La Carreta
The Following User Says Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #34
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thumbs up

Quote:
We had a lot of fun here.
Omcheeeeeeeeeeeeez, went to the website and was surprised to read the sauce recipe just like my grandmother used to make!! It's always nice too, when someone calls spagetti sauce "gravy". Reminds me of my roots.
Mangia, indeed your Aunt Suzie knows what's up!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #35
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Yes. It was The La Carreta and we had Hurricanes. Two each, if I recall. I also remember looking at you sternly when you thought you might need another one. You did a lot of "Secret Talking" that night.
Yikes! Secret talking sounds like something from that chick flick "the sisterhood of the ya ya traveling pants" or something like that. Hopefully there were no blood oaths, Ellen Bursyn's, or Seances involved. Party on June-y.
The Following User Says Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #36
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

mmmmmmm i love Hurricanes that drink sounds good right about now....
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #37
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

this thread is making me honnggrryyyyy
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #38
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Two drinks tends to be one more than I really need to spill my guts.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #39
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Fave indian in NYC:

pongal (kosher/ veggie - southern)

haveli
(southern mostly)

Joy indian (on flatbush) (northern, omnivore friendly)

Tons more, but these are my current faves. I want to go to pongal tonite just for the masala cashews. yummy.
Haveli! My favorite Indian place on the L.E.S.

The Chana Shaag or any of the kurma dishes are on my list.

Dammit you make me miss the city!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #40
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Okay.

If the glasses were cylindrical, that would be

divided by nine cubic feet of Hurricane.

Were you counting the stem?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:

Tags
drinks, fantastic san diego!, food, food obsessed, tiger raves!