Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 AM   #21
musicman

How Do You Identify?:
NA

musicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hannah Free

I was hoping to find Hannah Free on the met somewhere. we wouldn't get it here in my town. I saw the trailer for it and it looks fantastic.

Eventually someone will get it up on youtube .

Musicman
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #22
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

What was wrong with "Patch Adams"? The others I get. Just curious.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
I dunno................I think Salmonberries with KD Lang runs a close second or even beats Claire.....
Oh gads.. you had to dredge that piece of work up.....

Even as a young barely out of the closet, didn't know a single gay woman, living vicarously through melissa etherage vidios, I couldn't work up an emotion other that.. oh.. pretty landscape...

damn.. it... I now have that tune in my head...

Go eat your popcorn....
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #24
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Cyn View Post
Oh gads.. you had to dredge that piece of work up.....

Even as a young barely out of the closet, didn't know a single gay woman, living vicarously through melissa etherage vidios, I couldn't work up an emotion other that.. oh.. pretty landscape...

damn.. it... I now have that tune in my head...

Go eat your popcorn....
yes Ma'am...........laughing....

*munch munch*

would you like some??
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
yes Ma'am...........laughing....

*munch munch*

would you like some??
Lol..

sure.... mmmmm extra buttery....
Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #26
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I managed to pick up the DVD on Ebay. We just finished watching it and I thought it was very well done - characters you could relate to - and of course, it made me cry.

If you haven't seen it, I think its worth it!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #27
Converse

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Married

2 Highscores

Converse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST Reputation

I really enjoyed the movie. I have a pretty extensive “women with women” video/dvd collection- which I started years ago when any movie with even the hint of something that could be seen as queer and female was jumped on. As like many of us I’m sure, I was desperate to find some kind of representation on the big screen. After many years of always looking for some kind of hidden meaning in the classics, the Hollywood lesbian movies started to appear.

Of course I grabbed those with equal enthusiasm; however, there was almost something even more alienating about them then any of the other mainstream movies. These lesbians, if they didn’t “lapse” back to their str8 ways, or were focused on having to “choose” because of their bisexuality, then they always ended up being attracted to their mirror image; every movie seemed like a scene from a girl’s dorm- with any sexual activity being as exciting as a pillow fight. There comes a point when the Lword, used as the tool for gaining visibility, does more harm than good.

There are very, very few well made films that are true to the Butch-Femme dynamic- in my opinion Hannah Free is one of them. The sexual dynamic, where the lust continues throughout their entire relationship and the “can’t keep my hands off of you” attraction was so well done- and as bonne-maman said, so many other familiar issues. Its not a movie with an extraordinary storyline, the “extraordiness” for me, came from finding representation- I nodded a lot.

christie- my girl cried too. Still not sure why exactly- but she said she liked it anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Converse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #28
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Oh I know.... I'm going to get ripped on for this...

Whatever happened to people supporting something even though it's not perfect? Here is a movie that clearly is getting recognition but yet our own community can't support the fact they at least they are trying to get a message across and show that we are REAL PEOPLE in the world.

Instead of making light hearted jokes, how about we instead maybe thank them for getting the message out there? I don't know it's an idea.

Let the ripping begin!!
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #29
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
I really enjoyed the movie. I have a pretty extensive “women with women” video/dvd collection- which I started years ago when any movie with even the hint of something that could be seen as queer and female was jumped on. As like many of us I’m sure, I was desperate to find some kind of representation on the big screen. After many years of always looking for some kind of hidden meaning in the classics, the Hollywood lesbian movies started to appear.

Of course I grabbed those with equal enthusiasm; however, there was almost something even more alienating about them then any of the other mainstream movies. These lesbians, if they didn’t “lapse” back to their str8 ways, or were focused on having to “choose” because of their bisexuality, then they always ended up being attracted to their mirror image; every movie seemed like a scene from a girl’s dorm- with any sexual activity being as exciting as a pillow fight. There comes a point when the Lword, used as the tool for gaining visibility, does more harm than good.

There are very, very few well made films that are true to the Butch-Femme dynamic- in my opinion Hannah Free is one of them. The sexual dynamic, where the lust continues throughout their entire relationship and the “can’t keep my hands off of you” attraction was so well done- and as bonne-maman said, so many other familiar issues. Its not a movie with an extraordinary storyline, the “extraordiness” for me, came from finding representation- I nodded a lot.

christie- my girl cried too. Still not sure why exactly- but she said she liked it anyway.
Converse you still continue to get me to perv your writing!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #30
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
Bonne-o-rama, please to explain "obvious lesbian issues."

What are these issues?

Does this involve: Monograms? Fanny pack selection? Which one is "the man?"
Probably involves which Uhaul place to rent from or who wears which pair of Birkenstocks.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Oh dear god. I actually dragged my ass into the theatre to see that one. We wanted to cover our faces as we left.
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.
OK maybe not. If it had been a musical perhaps...
Sweet Jesus, Claire of the Moon was painful. I had more or less recovered from the trauma of seeing it...until today.

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post
Oh I know.... I'm going to get ripped on for this...

Whatever happened to people supporting something even though it's not perfect? Here is a movie that clearly is getting recognition but yet our own community can't support the fact they at least they are trying to get a message across and show that we are REAL PEOPLE in the world.

Instead of making light hearted jokes, how about we instead maybe thank them for getting the message out there? I don't know it's an idea.

Let the ripping begin!!
But the ritualistic eating of our own is such a time-honored tradition. Plus a certain level of critique is justified if for no other reason than that it will prevent another Claire of the Moon--or at least we could hope. If only someone had gone to the writer, director or producer of that movie and said, "Ummm, there's this thing called a plot. You might try creating one that way people will know that something boring is going to happen and that will build some kind of suspense."

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #33
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I'm presently downloading it off graboid. you can get a free trial of graboid of 30MB. so, if you can't get a hold of it, you can down load it for free.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #34
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Sometimes, I'd rather just have the bake sale...thinking back to "Claire of the Moon"--shudder.
it is on DVD........

http://www.hannahfree.com/

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #35
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbutch View Post
Probably involves which Uhaul place to rent from or who wears which pair of Birkenstocks.
I rest my case!!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #36
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,588 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.
OK maybe not. If it had been a musical perhaps...

i LOVE Showgirls. Especially when they show it on Vh-1's Movies That Rock. They cg in these little bikini tops for the dance numbers

ok i find the cg bikini tops laughable but i really do like the movie. i love Paul Verhoeven.
dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #37
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I like movies with a plot, actually I love to see movies that move me that have a plot I can identify with. I will not spend my money on a plotless movie, I don't care if it was made by Cecil B. D'Mille.
But I applaud the film makers for at least trying.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #38
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Strappie -

I'm not gonna rip you. I think you are exactly correct. Its not a perfectly done movie, but the characters were real - the kind I think most folks can relate to and to me, that was what touched me.

Converse - I cried because I could relate to the position that Hannah was in - the reality of blood family being able to keep Jess away from me in that situation. The reality that no matter how much our relationship might be *tolerated* it is STILL not recognized with the same legal rights as marriage.

Perhaps it hit too close to home having been in an accident last week and instead of Jess being able to focus on getting self and our son on the road for the 4 hour trip to get to me in the ER, Jess had to ensure that the POA's and Durable POA for Healthcare and Living Will documents were in order in the event I was unable to give permission for Jess to be involved in my care. It.just.sucks.

All that aside, I think that Hannah Free was a very realistic view of the BF dynamic. I may have to watch it again!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #39
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post
I rest my case!!
The defense rests also.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #40
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Desert Hearts

Another Claire,
Dylan

And then there was some movie with Muriel Hemingway. She was a runner...who (wait for it. wait for it. wait for it) ends up with the man ('cuz you know, if one of the lesbians in the couple doesn't die at the end, they <naturally> end up with the man)

I think I just officially dated myself
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post: