Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Femme Zone

The Femme Zone For all things "Femme"

Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #41
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,229 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
TALON! My femme sister extraordinaire (and legionnaire)! Terrific thread!

>>*chuckle*...Thank you, Bleu-by-you..

I often get compliments on my skin and being 44 now I take great pride in keeping it looking good. But really, what I do is so simple and remarkably cheap! The key is consistency.
cheap cheap cheap cheap

>>Yes, darling it certainly is.

Clear Pore. I love this stuff...it retails for between $5 - 8 and can be used as a daily cleanser or as a facial mask. The stuff lasts forever too. I buy maybe three to four tubes a year! I use it mostly as a daily cleanser scrubbing it in then rinsing immediately. As far as cleansing mask use, I do this on high wind days in the desert which cakes on an extra layer of dirt. I apply it to my face at the beginning of my shower, do everything else, then by the end of my shower I rinse it completely. That is the extent of how long I leave it on in "mask" mode.
Warning:
The active ingredient in Clear Pore is benzoyl peroxide. Be careful if you get a lot of exposure to the sun when using it. Also, I use cheap white face cloths so my pretty sage colored towels don't get spot bleached with any accidental leftover product on my face.

>>This *is* a great product..and comes highly recommended by Dermatologists. I have searched for this product, and thought that it had been discontinued. Where have you found it?

Every third or fourth day I skip the Clear Pore cleanser and scrub with the Neutrogena Microdermabrasion System.

This handy little item retails for between $15 - 20 and the extra pads are a couple bucks for a pack of 12. The little blue disks are pre-loaded with soap and I scrub my face for about 3 mins total. I do not use anything else that day to clean my face with as it tends to be a little tender. Next day - back to the Clear Pore.

>>I used to use the microdermabrasion system..it does work well for dull and lifeless skin..gives you a nice glow.

Umm...on a side note...this item can be used as an external vibrator when the exterior cap is removed. It's hard plastic and is completely washable so is easy and sanitary to use for either application.

>>Someone's a very naughty girl....go sit in the naughty chair.

Two birds, one inexpensive item, and noone suspects a darn thing...hell, yeah, bitches!

>>>Gives new meaning to multi-tasking.

PS: It's important to follow with a good moisturizer. I use L'Occitane Immortelle, ($62- 4.4 oz) but that's not so cheap therefore does not belong in this thread...HOWEVER one little pot of this stuff lasts me 6 months!

>>>Yep...I do that w/creme de la mer.

I spend less than $200 a YEAR in cleansing and moisturizing products for my face and neck. ShiZam!
>>Go on with yer bad self...
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
Most of my make-up I get from Sephora, because I have a few favorites from Stila (mostly). I don't have a ton of it so it's not that expensive.

>>Sephora is addictive. But, if you buy certain staple products that you use often and really love, I think it's totally worth it. You can't really put a price on feeling good.

I use any over the counter facial moisturizer with SPF 30. I have tried Neutrogena, Aveeno, and Olay and have liked them all. I also sometimes buy mascara from the drugstore, too. I just bought a L'Oreal one today that I've never tried.

>>>All of these I like, too. I have never spent a lot on daily face lotions w/spf. There really is just no need to, in my opinion.

I am also a fan of Burt's Bees tinted lip gloss.
>>I've only used the Badger Balm, the Lavender sleep balm, and the regular lip balm...but since I keep hearing about their tinted lip glosses, I will have to try. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
I've tried Lancome and other high-end mascaras, but keep returning to good old drugstore-sold, L'Oreal Voluminous waterproof mascara.

>>>This was my fav in high school...makes lashes look really full.

Also I've used humble Pond's cold cream since I was a girl, to remove eye makeup.

>> I use this all over my face to remove make-up before I cleanse, and my skin never feels tight or dry after.

I love wandering through huge drugstores on my lunch hour. You never know what deals you'll find.
>>>Aint' it fun though?...NYC has THE BEST DRUGSTORES..floors of low-end to the highest end products...Dangerous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #44
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
My two favorite beauty products are baking soda and coconut oil. Baking soda is great to exfoliate with and coconut oil is a good natural moisturizer for skin and hair. Oh, and I love my French clay mask and mineral make-up. I'm all-natural kind of femme.
>>Au Naturelle is always a good thing.

>>I didn't know that you could use baking soda as an exfoliator..thanks for the tip, GOF. I love coconut oil...smells much better than olive oil...and works just as good, if not better...I bet you could make your own lip balm w/ it, as well...hmmmm...

>>I also use mineral make-up...It just gives a sheer veil over the skin..I love it!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #45
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I use Dove sensitive skin on my face.

I like how it smells. My maternal grandmother always used Dove and it reminds me of her.

>>This is sweet. Isn't it funny how we'll use a certain product because it reminds us of a happy time in our lives? I am this way with certain scents...it truly has a transporting effect, at least for me it does...I go right back to the time and place.

I also use a little Clinique beige twist foundation (when I remember to), I curl my eyelashes and I finish with a little Clinique mascara.

>>I like their face washes...they never irritate.

I'm good to go.

Clinique is not cheap but it lasts forever and I always time my purchase for when they give those little sample size "gift with purchase" deals.
>>I love getting those.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #46
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique View Post

I've been using these ELF (eyes, lips face) brushes priced from $1 to $3 and availabe at Target or on line. They have the best eye lash curler too, also $1.

>>These are a hidden gem. I really like their eyeshadows and their lip glosses. I didn't know about their eyelash curler, though..Thank you.

Another discovery is baby wipes. I fell in love with them when I worked for Fed Ex and couldn't stand my hands being dirty all of the time. Now, I use them to quickly remove my make up. Ultra cheap. No fuss, no ruining my hand towels. I also buy these at target.
>>Aren't they great? I keep them in my bag, because they work so well at removing flaking eyeshadow or mascara from under the eyes, while you're on the go. And they don't leave a greasy residue behind.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #47
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,580 Times in 2,650 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I don't buy much in the way of cosmetics or hair products in the drug stores because I find their mark up ridiculous, as ridiculous as the mark up in department stores.

I do most of my shopping for high quality beauty and hair products on ebay and usually save 50-70% buying them there... my Pureology shampoo and conditioner will cost me $90 for two 33oz bottles which will last for at least 10months (that amounts to less than $10/mo on shampoo and conditioner).

Buying on ebay isn't convenient for a quick, easy fix - it requires patience and searching out the best deals but I've found it saves me a ton of money while still allowing me the indulgence of high-end products.

Similarly the Redken volumizing hair products I would pay $15-20 for in the salon or the drugstore, I can get for $10 or less on ebay...
YSL Touche Eclat, the best highlighter pen on the market costs over $40 in the department store, but I can find for $12-16 on ebay...
Urban Decay palettes that run $50+ I can find for $25, on average....
Benefit lipsticks cost $22 per tube, I can find them on ebay for $10 or less...

And if I do enough deal searching, I can buy most of these products with no shipping charges.

One drugstore item I LOVE is: Witch hazel, an all-natural astringent/toner. A bottle of Clinique's toner/clarifying lotion costs $35 or more, and contains mostly witch hazel. Thayers all natural remedies witch hazel costs $8 and IMO works better, and it can be found in most drug stores, grocery stores or places like walmart/target.

Oooh and Loreal does a wonderful line of eyeshadows called "HIP" High Intensity Pigments. I prefer the loose eyeshadow called "HIP Shocking Shadow Pigments" that comes in a small pot. This is "going out/dressing up" eyeshadow it has an intense bold concentration of colour. I love the two shades I have. I've found it on ebay and amazon for about $5, I think that is about half of what I've paid in a drug store. *great product and lasts forever!!!
I'm not a femme-- but I love this thread too. Only because of my wife-- I purchase about .75 of her makeup -- so these tips are simply amazing. I would of never thought of ebay for make up. Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
>>I've only used the Badger Balm, the Lavender sleep balm, and the regular lip balm...but since I keep hearing about their tinted lip glosses, I will have to try. Thanks.
I, too, love badger-- over Burts. I use to be a Burts fan but had noticed that their products changed, not sure how, but they did-- then later to find that Clorox bought them.

Since I'm a boy-- can I post here too?
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #48
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush View Post
I use baby wipes to remove eye makeup. Best idea ever! I also put a squirt of saline solution in my mascara to extend the life of it.
>>Yeah it is.

>>Ohhh..that's a good tip..thanks blush.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerryFairy View Post
I also frequently use Johnsons oatmeal & vanilla baby lotion on my skin. Smooth, not greasy, mild scent and a great moisturizer.

>> Yes, I love the J&J Lavender bedtime baby wash, lotion, and shampoo...I use it right before I go to bed when I've had a hard day.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #50
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

What a fun thread! I am very scent averse so I look for things that don't have perfume. I love Aveeno body wash and lotion. Kiehls makes the only body scrub that works for me. It is the soy one.

I recently tried some drug store mascara and still for me the only thing that works is Dior Show. My main gripe is sunscreen. I have tried every kind and they all make me greasy. I am in the market for a good foundation for oily skin. Right now I am using Laura Mercier Tinted Foundation. I like the Smashbox Primer.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #51
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueswtfemm View Post
A great body scrub...

Neutrogena sesame seed oil mixed with regular table salt. I use equal amounts of oil vs salt in the cup of my hand. Love it before I shave my legs. Use it on my feet as well. Leaves skin silky smooth
>>>I love that body oil..especially in winter when your skin gets dry! I also really love the idea of adding salt to it as an exfoliator...you get the moisture along with the exfoliating...Smart.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #52
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
What a fun thread! I am very scent averse so I look for things that don't have perfume. I love Aveeno body wash and lotion. Kiehls makes the only body scrub that works for me. It is the soy one.

I recently tried some drug store mascara and still for me the only thing that works is Dior Show. My main gripe is sunscreen. I have tried every kind and they all make me greasy. I am in the market for a good foundation for oily skin. Right now I am using Laura Mercier Tinted Foundation. I like the Smashbox Primer.
I love Kiehls products!

I have very fair, oily and sensitive skin - I have the same problem with sunscreen, high-end or drugstore, they always feel heavy and leave my skin feeling greasy.

As to foundations, I don't use a standard liquid foundation because I find them too heavy, I use a shisheido powder foundation and put it on very lightly with a big round brush. I also use YSL touche eclat highlighter (#1) for under my eyes.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #53
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
I've been trying to find some decent and affordable cruelty-free cosmetics. Any suggestions?

>>One rule of thumb that I use in this regard, is looking for the "Leaping Bunny" logo stamped on any cosmetic, personal care item, or household product. This ensures that the product has been certified cruelty-free by the Coalition For Consumer Information On Cosmetics. This is internationally recognized. This will make it easy for you to find an array of different products that are cruelty-free.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #54
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
And in the winter when we get extra dry, try sugar instead of salt.
>>Exactly..good idea, Novelafemme.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #55
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
I worked for a wonderful Italian lady while I was in SC...she had lovely skin and was in her 70s. She swore by Nivea in the blue jar. I have been using it ever since and I love it. I think I paid 4 something for the large jar at Walmart and its lasted me a long time. And I use it most every night.

>>Europeans still use Nivea. It's one of Europe's best selling lines.

I also use a daytime moisturizer (when I remember) with an SPF 15 at least. I get the store brand that is similar to Oil of Olay..same ingredients...much better price...
>>I love when stores do that.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #56
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I don't buy much in the way of cosmetics or hair products in the drug stores because I find their mark up ridiculous, as ridiculous as the mark up in department stores.

I do most of my shopping for high quality beauty and hair products on ebay and usually save 50-70% buying them there... my Pureology shampoo and conditioner will cost me $90 for two 33oz bottles which will last for at least 10months (that amounts to less than $10/mo on shampoo and conditioner).

>>Ebay is great for finding hard-to-find, or not-available- in-your-area products...and it's much less expensive.

Buying on ebay isn't convenient for a quick, easy fix - it requires patience and searching out the best deals but I've found it saves me a ton of money while still allowing me the indulgence of high-end products.

>>I actually find it faster than other forms of shopping...but it's not always a better deal on ebay, I've found. So, you want to do your research locally, first.

Similarly the Redken volumizing hair products I would pay $15-20 for in the salon or the drugstore, I can get for $10 or less on ebay...
YSL Touche Eclat, the best highlighter pen on the market costs over $40 in the department store, but I can find for $12-16 on ebay...
Urban Decay palettes that run $50+ I can find for $25, on average....
Benefit lipsticks cost $22 per tube, I can find them on ebay for $10 or less...

And if I do enough deal searching, I can buy most of these products with no shipping charges.

One drugstore item I LOVE is: Witch hazel, an all-natural astringent/toner. A bottle of Clinique's toner/clarifying lotion costs $35 or more, and contains mostly witch hazel. Thayers all natural remedies witch hazel costs $8 and IMO works better, and it can be found in most drug stores, grocery stores or places like walmart/target.

Oooh and Loreal does a wonderful line of eyeshadows called "HIP" High Intensity Pigments. I prefer the loose eyeshadow called "HIP Shocking Shadow Pigments" that comes in a small pot. This is "going out/dressing up" eyeshadow it has an intense bold concentration of colour. I love the two shades I have. I've found it on ebay and amazon for about $5, I think that is about half of what I've paid in a drug store. *great product and lasts forever!!!
>>I love the Loreal HIP products. They were the first "drugstore brand" to offer densely pigmented eyecolour...that was similar to MAC, but at a much lower price.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #57
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
I'm not a femme-- but I love this thread too. Only because of my wife-- I purchase about .75 of her makeup -- so these tips are simply amazing. I would of never thought of ebay for make up. Sheesh.

>>>Lucky girl. Aren't they, though? These women are killing it!

I, too, love badger-- over Burts. I use to be a Burts fan but had noticed that their products changed, not sure how, but they did-- then later to find that Clorox bought them.

>>>Yowza...I didn't know that.
Isn't the badger balm *AMAZING* for your hands in the winter?

Since I'm a boy-- can I post here too?
*chuckle*

Well, of course you may. We do not discriminate around here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #58
falloutmk

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ze, Zir, or She, her, ect if needed.
Relationship Status:
Single, Poly, and happy.

falloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputationfalloutmk Has the BEST Reputation

I love Jesse's girl cosmetics especially their eyeshadow palettes in behind blue eyes colors and earth hues in the palette brown eyed girl.. I like them because of the colors they are available in and how smoothly the eyeshadow goes on
falloutmk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to falloutmk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #59
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post

>>I really like Kiehl's, also. I keep a ready stock of the lip balm #1...and the Silkgroom for hair styling. I like how they don't change their formulations..they're very consistent.

>>You gotta do ultimately what works the best for you.
Have you thought about using a face-powder sunscreen? Don't quote me, but I believe that Phillip Thomas Roth has one that is a spf30, that you can get at Sephora. And Physicians Formula has a compact pressed powder as well as a bronzer, that's an spf50 at drugstores.

>>I use Laura Mercier wooden make-up brushes...expensive, but they last.
I also like her Secret Camoflauge concealer. I've also found that you can find really high-quality brushes at art-supply stores...for a fraction of the cost. They also carry small paint pallets for colour-mixing foundation, concealer, lip colour..ect.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #60
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutmk View Post
I love Jesse's girl cosmetics especially their eyeshadow palettes in behind blue eyes colors and earth hues in the palette brown eyed girl.. I like them because of the colors they are available in and how smoothly the eyeshadow goes on

>>The Jesse's girl eyeshadow pallets are really good...I love the greens!
And when the colours are customized to your particular eye colour..it's foolproof, and you learn what are the most flattering shades to accentuate your eyes, too.