Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

View Poll Results: What is Your Employment Status?
I am employed full time. 84 53.85%
I am employed part time. 7 4.49%
I do freelance work. 7 4.49%
I am on unemployment. 6 3.85%
I am not currently employed. 4 2.56%
I am not currently employed but looking for a job. 7 4.49%
I am currently employed and looking for a better job. 7 4.49%
I work more than one job. 6 3.85%
I am on disability. 15 9.62%
Other: See thread for explanation 13 8.33%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I just relocated to an area that has jobs because where I was at had absolutely nothing to offer unless I drove an hour or more to get there. I see plenty of jobs in the area I'm in, but many want online apps with resumes. Until I get my resume updated, I'm sort of at a stand still for those online apps. I have had one phone interview and talked to another who wants to sit down with me and talk more on Friday or Saturday as he's been out of town all week and those will be his first days back on the job. I do feel good about the area I'm in and look forward to getting back into the work force.

For the record, I happen to hate online job applications. They seem so impersonal and HR never gets to know the person behind the app if you do one thing wrong when filling it out.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #22
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

We are back to work full-time after being on a 32 hour schedule for 8 months....what I lost in pay, I gained in time with my Mom while she was dying.

I work in Aerospace Manufacturing; we were one of the last to feel the effects when the economy took a hit, and we are already running at full steam and hiring people at a time when most industries are still struggling..... I feel very blessed.

Good luck to all of you in your searches
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #23
ruthie14

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,243 Times in 461 Posts
ruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputation
Wink

Work a fulltime job (with a college degree) that pays crap (day care teacher). Work a part time job as a respite worker for families with autistic children (pays pretty well, but not available full time or with benefits) dog sit, baby sit.... etc. Still can't make ends meet. Would go back to school for "something" but no one can predict right now what "something" will be both profitable and available any time soon. sigh.... I'm getting to old for this crap!
ruthie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ruthie14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #24
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I do software engineering and have been at my present job for six years and nine months. Our Bureau Chief held a special meeting in February 2009 for contractors only. Bottom line: We want to keep everyone of you. If you want to continue working here, submit your paperwork and be reachable or come this Fall, whatever happens is on you.

Some contractor friends started getting laid off. Watching my buddies go, one by one not only saddened me but was the wake-up call. I knew this was a serious, no-bluff situation. In past years, I have ridden through bluffs. Not the case here. Since I did not want to move, I opted for security. I have been a permanent employee for just over a year. All of us contractors took a pay cut to get to stay. The ones who did not want a pay cut moved. I made the correct choice for me. Good benefits (BC/BS insurance, sick leave, personal leave, a dozen paid holidays each year ... no stress at all and being a contractor was always stressful) I did not like PowerBuilder and had been coding in that environment for several years in contractor capacity. When I became a permanent employee, I was granted the privilege of working on a Microsoft Visual Studio (MVS) Development Team - which I enjoy tremendously. I have experience from years ago in MVS and mentioned to managers before I became permanent how much I would like to get back into MVS. They have provided between 15-20K in training so far to renew my MVS skillset in the past year.

I cannot complain about a thing except for this loud, rude woman who sits right by me. She keeps loud visitors and work friends in her cubie constantly or talks on personal calls way too loud. It makes it difficult for me to concentrate and get my work done. Since this is my only complaint, I figure I am in decent shape. I bought earplugs at Home Depot. It is all about trade-offs and deciding what type balance I require.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
Pixie

How Do You Identify?:
Equal Opportunity Friend
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girl
Relationship Status:
in service

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,332 Posts
Pixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST Reputation

Been a certified nursing assistant for five years....currently employed at an in home care agency with no assigned hours....YAY

-Pixie-

Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Pixie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #26
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I am extremely lucky. I do "freelance" and have more work now than I have time to do. Sometimes it gets a little crazy and stressful but for the most part I feel bad calling what I do "work".

I also set my own hours and love the people I do the work for. I feel like part of the company yet I don't have the restraints of being an employee.

I also work at what I love!

UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #27
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

I work full time. I was a consultant there for 3 years and recently got hired in house. I work in online marketing for a (fucking huge) financial institution. We had massive layoffs a couple years ago, and I got a 15% pay cut, but I've got it all back now so I'm lucky. we're hiring too.
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #28
Gaige

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch

Thanked 3,756 Times in 1,171 Posts
Gaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST ReputationGaige Has the BEST Reputation

We had a 4% pay reduction which was only supposed to last for a year. It lasted about 6 months longer but the pay rates were finally reinstated a few months ago. At that time, I received a 4% raise. I think only one other employee got that raise also. We picked up several new homes for a total of almost 5,000 beds. I guess we are doing ok. Sure the workload has increased but it makes for OT. I'm just thankful to have this job.
Gaige is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Gaige For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #29
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I've taught middle school choral music for just about my whole adult life until about 1 1/2 years ago. I was teaching for a small private school and when the economy crashed, so did the school. We were all laid off in March 2009. In all my years of teaching, I had never been fired or laid off.....it was devastating.

I've had a few interviews since then, but nothing. Fortunately, my late father left me with a little bit. I'm not rich by any means....receiving about 1/4th what I made in teaching.

At this point, the thought of teaching is a distant one. I'm enjoying my volunteer work and am wanting to see if I can't land a part~time job at the children's hospital. We'll see!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #30
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to leave the PNW and move down to Austin, where many of our beloved members reside. I'd visited on and off for a few years and it felt like home at a time when I needed a home. Eventually, I was able to save up enough to move down here, but I came without a safety net and, if it weren't for friends like Diva and Arwen and my honey, I'd have nothing, not even a pot to piss in.

So, I moved down here in August and kind of, sort of looked for work off and on for the first month. Shortly thereafter, the money ran out and the panic set in. I'm waiting to hear back from a potential employer who's basically said it's between myself and one other person. It's a part time job and way less than what I was making before, but if I get it, I'll be damn glad for it.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #31
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

In March 2005 was placed on permanent disability retroactively to May 2003 at which time my income decreased over $75K per year.... it was a long hard fall. In the end I actually think I'm happier in many ways. I learned that I am not what or who I am based on what I do for an occupation, or how much money I make. I am who and what I am because of who and what I am inside. Needless to say it's been quite a journey!

I think some things do happen for a reason. Other times I have no clue as to the why of it all *chuckling*.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #32
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

I work full-time (a minimum 55 hours a wk) as the overnight manager of a domestic violence shelter. It's difficult, emotional work for next to no pay, but then again, no one goes into nonprofit work expecting to make the big bucks. My salary is dependent on grant money, so if we don't qualify or miss deadlines, then I'm just outta luck. (Although if we get the current grant we're hoping for, my salary will go up by $6000.) I'm also taking my placement tests Friday to go back to school. Hopefully once I finish my degree I can find an actual good paying job with insurance in this field. Insurance is a big motivation for me.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #33
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

I have been working with bio-fuels forthe past 4 years...cuttently ethanol...but getting tired of moving around a lot so am studying electrical/ plumbing/ heating and air conditioning...
Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #34
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

I went out on permanent disability five years ago next month. It is supposed to be reviewed every ten years. But there is no chance of it being taken away because of my age which I would have been too close to retire now anyway and there has been no improvement in things either.

My heart goes out to each and everyone of you who is looking for work and/or underemployed. I wish you all the very best luck in your job searches!!! My fingers are crossed daily for everyone and everyone in my personal life dealing with these issues.

I believe with all my heart that the economy will get better and the job situation will improve. I also believe the economy will return to a much more level playing field between employer and employee too.

Corporate America (talking about big companies) should be ashamed of themselves for sitting on over 2 trillion dollars they have recovered since the stock market bounced back. 2 trillions dollars; some of this should have been re-invested in their employees instead of hoarding it. Shame on them!!!

Hugs to all of you looking to better yourselves!!! I feel for you all having been there myself in the recession of 2001. It is so scarey to look for work and it does reflect on how we feel about ourselves. Good luck!!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #35
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

i am a full-time public librarian and i love it....i worked very hard to get the required degrees to be where i am and i continue to wwork hard to land grants, fellowships, publication, etc. so that my value increases within the field. i have marginal salary (lol), better-than-average benefits, and exceptional pension.

Library work is an inspiring and exciting field and i want to stay where i am forever....my only worry is that our elected officials (who come and go, thank goodness) don't always value us, and what if our budgets gets slashed during the next philistine administration?

what if the general public allows themselves to be convinced we are obsolete now that there is google?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #36
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

I voted yes........ I have a full time job.
i also paint and sell some of my art on the side for extra $$

my main job is as everyone here knows.. truck driving.
i like to drive..... its not the kind of job i had dreams of having .
but it is a JOB. ...... i miss home and doing some things like id like to do .. i dont ask for handouts, or depend on anyone to suport me ...... i take care of myself ... its not the best job but it is a job.
If i am in a relationship....... i still will and always maintain a Job.. I like making and having my own bucks.

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #37
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I demand this be multiple choice! I work at the Studio 3 days a week, then do freelance.

isgruntled:
hmmm.. that sounds interesting...... would love to meet up with u .. and see what you do.

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #38
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,160 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Currently I work for an NGO Non-Profit Peace Organization in which I run the Children's program of the org. In which we teach and foster peace education through the arts and community building on a global level. I am also responsible for all the design for both the web and print for all of our programs.

I still work freelance and have an advertising agency to supplement my non-profit salary.

I took this position after working as a web/graphic designer creating animation and e-learning components for high school text books and working with television on the same level (web/animation/etc.)

Now I want to retire and feed the Emu's (that would please me).

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #39
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

While we're on the subject, I just had a great discussion with an admissions counselor for a master's program for psychiatric nurse practitioner. They WILL accept an AAS in nursing and RN (vs having to get another bachelor's degree), and my current master's will give me some advanced standing in the master's program, as well as the ability to teach some courses for credits and stipend. It could take as little as four years, so by the time I'm 55, I could be looking forward to a career that expands what I do as a social worker and affords an income on which I could support myself and my family as well as plan for a reasonable retirement some day.

She was VERY positive and encouraging, and I am EXCITED!!!!
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #40
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I am a freelance writer, work part time at the Oregon Symphony in sales, and earn money from my websites (affiliate commissions and Google Adsense). My goal is to make a full time income from my websites so that I can work anywhere, anytime. I am on my way to having my best month ever, so I am on my way.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:

Tags
employment, job