Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
I write in books I own. Highlight, underline, make notes, dog ear pages, etc. Only in my own books. I see books as interactive LOL
I'm the same way! I can't read without a pen (and highlighters if they're around). I love marginalia--notes, questions, and connections within the text (and with other texts). All of those notes are handy when teaching, writing essays, or (my favorite) talking about the book with friends And, uhm, I also like reading the marginalia in other people's books

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #22
hpychick

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine with a hammer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly Stuff
Relationship Status:
Jesse's Girl. She asked! I said yes!

Location: Minneapolis! Or as I like to call it - Many Happiness!
Thanked 1,417 Times in 499 Posts
hpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Having realized the emptiness in my life, I've turned inward again and sought out what I've been missing. Books. Beautiful Books.

I started writing here yesterday, a long and luscious tale of my reading history and habits, and then did a keystroke (ctrl U) that erased it all and put me into a page of Visual Basic code. I whined. I thought I'd type it all from the start again, and then, decided against it. It must have been erased for a reason.

So here I am. All that good writing, gone to waste.

My most recent read was The Lovely Bones which had succeeded in captivating me, although it's fiction. That is, until the last few chapters, when the author decided to take a nose-dive and ruin the lovely path created. I felt cheated, disrespected. A good writer knows the ending to a story is paramount.

As a writer myself, I've learned: Don't freak out. Take a break. Come back later. Re-read what you've already written. Finally, decide how the conclusion needs to go to hold the reader to the last period in the book.

This author took a sharp left and drove right off the cliff.

I need something new to read now. Something non-fiction again. Something timeless.

Any suggestions?

hpychick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hpychick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
Have you ever gotten a book only to discover it is part of a series? And now have to hunt down the rest of the books? Or better yet the book you found is like the 3rd in a series?

I HATE when that happens!!!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #24
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrrl View Post
I'm the same way! I can't read without a pen (and highlighters if they're around). I love marginalia--notes, questions, and connections within the text (and with other texts). All of those notes are handy when teaching, writing essays, or (my favorite) talking about the book with friends And, uhm, I also like reading marginalia the in other people's books

I have not seen or used this word in years. thank you so much for using it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpychick View Post
Having realized the emptiness in my life, I've turned inward again and sought out what I've been missing. Books. Beautiful Books.

I started writing here yesterday, a long and luscious tale of my reading history and habits, and then did a keystroke (ctrl U) that erased it all and put me into a page of Visual Basic code. I whined. I thought I'd type it all from the start again, and then, decided against it. It must have been erased for a reason.

So here I am. All that good writing, gone to waste.

My most recent read was The Lovely Bones which had succeeded in captivating me, although it's fiction. That is, until the last few chapters, when the author decided to take a nose-dive and ruin the lovely path created. I felt cheated, disrespected. A good writer knows the ending to a story is paramount.

As a writer myself, I've learned: Don't freak out. Take a break. Come back later. Re-read what you've already written. Finally, decide how the conclusion needs to go to hold the reader to the last period in the book.

This author took a sharp left and drove right off the cliff.

I need something new to read now. Something non-fiction again. Something timeless.

Any suggestions?

that drives me crazy
or when books end with to many loose ends.

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #25
shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

Thanked 1,644 Times in 485 Posts
shadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Ahhhh..Books for Christmas

Evening,y'all. I received an awesome book for Christmas,"The Bicycle Diaries" by David Byrne,the founder of The Talking Heads. It is a chronicle of his travels by bike in cities all around the world.After stuffing my face with half the food in Tennessee,I am about to crash on the couch and delve into it.I just finished "Alone" a biography of Sir Winston Churchill that covered 1938 to 1940 or so of his career and life.Excellent read! But what book about the Lion of Britain isn't? Have a great weekend y'all! Shad
Old 12-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #26
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I also got a book for Christmas.....

The Lost Continent ~ Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Bryson

The little blurb at the top says "The kind of book Steinbeck might have written if he'd traveled with David Letterman instead of Charlie the poodle."

That was enough for me! lol
Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #27
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I read all the time. In fact, I get nervous if I'm down to my last book and almost finished with it, but still didn't pick up anymore to read. I take a book with me when I'm the passenger in a car or going somewhere I know will require a long wait. When I'm at the VA Hospital with R, there's an area with free books and I'm always looking to see if I can take a few home. I like used book stores, book exchanges and the library. I like authors that do series books and use the same character, but will read any good whodunnit. My favorite authors are James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, Sue Grafton and Lisa Jackson to name a few. I know there's more, but it's hard to keep their names in my head. Right now I'm reading a Jonathan Kellerman book that isn't built around his favorite character. I'll let you know when I'm finished if I really like it.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #28
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I also got a book for Christmas.....

The Lost Continent ~ Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Bryson

The little blurb at the top says "The kind of book Steinbeck might have written if he'd traveled with David Letterman instead of Charlie the poodle."

That was enough for me! lol

A walk in the woods, by Bill Bryson is good also!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #29
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboi View Post
A walk in the woods, by Bill Bryson is good also!

Yes! I saw that he'd written that as well! Thanks!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

DIVAlicious, anything by Anne Rice is a must read as far as I'm concerned...

My favorite book is The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. It's a great intro to the basic principles of Taoism..

Duchess
Old 12-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #31
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post

My favorite book is The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. It's a great intro to the basic principles of Taoism..

Duchess

Yes!!! Haven't been a fan of Anne Rice, but someone recently gave me The Beauty Series, so it's in my stack to read! Thank You, Miss Precious Thang!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #32
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

A few books that I've read recently and liked are:

My Life as a Fake and His Illegal Self by Peter Carey. These are both great books, mostly due to Carey's uniquely descriptive writing style.

Under the Dome by Stephen King was also good and the first of his books that I've liked in years. It's about a town in Maine that is suddenly cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable dome. The ending was almost lame but somehow managed to work.

Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord, which I loved. I found two different translations and was surprised by how different they were. I found out after I started researching which quotes were correct that Debord was furious about the shabby translating and only recommended certain editions.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #33
la_la

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Single/Dating

la_la is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Duchess
This book is required reading for my yoga teacher certification

Peace
Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #34
la_la

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Single/Dating

la_la is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Someone recently gave me the Anne Rice "Beauty" Series......have You read this? Will I like it? lol

The Beauty Series is a different from her usual writings in that it is fairly hard core BDSM. Not as hard core as the Marquis De Sade's writings but there are certain simalirties.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #35
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

hippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
have you seen The Te of Piglet Duchess? it's also quite good.

i'm currently re-reading The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker. given the lively debate in another thread i'd recently participated in i decided i needed a refresher in the ways the human brain creates and perceives language and meaning.

hippieflowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #36
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_la View Post
The Beauty Series is a different from her usual writings in that it is fairly hard core BDSM. Not as hard core as the Marquis De Sade's writings but there are certain simalirties.

Then I shall enjoy it immensely as I'm pretty much a masochistic painslut....<giggling>
Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #37
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation
Default funny book may offend some peoples sensabilities

ok read the disclaimer...it is dark comedy...
A Field guide to burying your parents "

It is comic fiction aobut the hawkes family who needs to do the unthinkable...and it travels along with them in this act..the ups the downs the downright outrageous....and unbeleivable...
author Liza Palmer
Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #38
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm about to start "Monkey trials & gorilla sermons", one I got for Christmas. It's an account of creation/evolution that seeks to show how evolution is not at odds with Christian beliefs. Goes through the history of the two trains of thought, ending by showing they can co-exist. Oh, and the author is Peter J. Bowler.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #39
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation
Default Book swap anyone?

warwick...
Monkey trials is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you wish to read more...I will send u monkey girl its about the recent evolution/creation trial that went on in pennsylvania a few years ago. send me a private message and i will send u the book.

That goes for anyone really...we can mail books to one another as part of this thread.. A lot of what I read tho is on my kindle....but when i do buy a book i am more than happy to send to to anyone...long as they promise to pass it on to the next person.

I also currently have a copy of Dan Brown's the lost symbol if anyone wants to borrow...just email me your address.. (i send media mail so dont expect it in 2 days more like 8)

Oh speaking of an outstanding read........................ The boy who harnassed the wind!!!!!!...I just read it today..... wowowwowwowowow
its a true story. .. excellent excellent excellent. If you liked 3 cups of tea or the novel out stealing horses.....you will find this book worth reading..

About an hour ago I started "Stones into schools" written by the same author who wrote 3 cups of tea......tho to get my brain functioning i am going to re-read 3 cups of tea then read stones into schools....they are stand alones but....i think the connectiveness of them will be better appreciated and understood by doing it (they r on my kindle so i cant lent them to ya)
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #40
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Default Half the Sky.....anyone read it?

I had to write this.

I read approximately 20 books a week....it is rare that a book has such a profound effect/affect on me.

This book had me in tears before I even finished reading the Introduction
It had me angry by the second page, it had me and still has me held captive.

I had to stop reading this book to write this. i have written an email and sent it to about 100 different people already saying OMG you have to read this book.
I joined the Book of the month club just so I could order 4 copies of this book for a dollar so I can give them to people I pray will read it and not just read it but after having read it say....I am going to do something and do something now! And I pray not just stop with the words but invest time, money, what ever it takes...
Hopefully I have piqued your interest in "Half the Sky", and those that have already read it....omg....we need a thread just about "half the Sky" to talk.

dean thoreau

Half the Sky
by Sheryl WuDunn, Nicholas D. Kristof
it was published Sept 09...... I can not believe it took me this long to find it...u can get it at amazon for 1/2 price...(14.00) paperback will be out in May 2010..please do not wait that long to read it.....If you truly do not have the money to purchase it or a library you can borrow it from...PM me , i will be more than happy to make sure you get a copy u can pass to another after u have read it.