Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,107 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation
Default HAPPY FASNACHT DAY!!!

My Best Friend from Pennsylvania is a HUGE TEASE!!!!
This morning, after I weighed in (dreading the flashing numbers on the scales) and then marked the results down in my little black book.... she sends me a text that says

HAPPY FASNACHT DAY!!!!

She went on to TEASE me that everyone at my old office was enjoying their favorite Fasnacht and that I should come get one before my old boss had his 3rd!! (an 8 hour drive, yah right! TEASE!!! That's okay, I teased her back with pictures of the spring flowers and trees blooming in my front yard and asking her if she still had snow on the ground? *evil grin*)

So....I had a little fun today with my new co-workers here in North Carolina.....

I hung up a huge sign and greeted everyone with

HAPPY FASNACHT DAY!!!!

You should have seen their faces!!! Their looks were PRICELESS!!!

"huh? What's that?"

Many people stopped at the sign and just stared .
I couldn't believe how many didn't know what a Fasnacht was!!
(some things make me so homesick!! I love Fasnacht Day more than my birthday!!)

When I told them it was something similar to a doughnut without a hole; most everyone laughed and their bad moods lifted.... it was so fun to cheer them up and feel the "spirit" change.... (either that, or they thought I had lost my mind )

Now trust me, when you have your first Fasnacht..... you can never stop at just ONE!!

Soooo.......

What's your favorite Fasnacht or Doughnut?

Hey Gemmie.... think Bo has any hidden stashes of Fasnachts?

Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Never had the ones you speak of here, only doughnuts. My favorite is Krispy Kreme's HOT glazed.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
My Best Friend from Pennsylvania is a HUGE TEASE!!!!
This morning, after I weighed in (dreading the flashing numbers on the scales) and then marked the results down in my little black book.... she sends me a text that says

HAPPY FASNACHT DAY!!!!

She went on to TEASE me that everyone at my old office was enjoying their favorite Fasnacht and that I should come get one before my old boss had his 3rd!! (an 8 hour drive, yah right! TEASE!!! That's okay, I teased her back with pictures of the spring flowers and trees blooming in my front yard and asking her if she still had snow on the ground? *evil grin*)

So....I had a little fun today with my new co-workers here in North Carolina.....

I hung up a huge sign and greeted everyone with

HAPPY FASNACHT DAY!!!!

You should have seen their faces!!! Their looks were PRICELESS!!!

"huh? What's that?"

Many people stopped at the sign and just stared .
I couldn't believe how many didn't know what a Fasnacht was!!
(some things make me so homesick!! I love Fasnacht Day more than my birthday!!)

When I told them it was something similar to a doughnut without a hole; most everyone laughed and their bad moods lifted.... it was so fun to cheer them up and feel the "spirit" change.... (either that, or they thought I had lost my mind )

Now trust me, when you have your first Fasnacht..... you can never stop at just ONE!!

Soooo.......

What's your favorite Fasnacht or Doughnut?

Hey Gemmie.... think Bo has any hidden stashes of Fasnachts?

Oh those look so good but alas I am on a strict diet with lo carb/no sugar so no fashnact for me!!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

OK.. so.. I have never heard this culinese either! Is this a Penna-Dutch ( I assume) tasty confection?

They look awesome! Thanks for sharing the bits of your heritage that you have. Always enlightening... if not fattening!

( this user would be willing to throw a few WW points at a Fasnacht)
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Never had the ones you speak of here, only doughnuts. My favorite is Krispy Kreme's HOT glazed.

metoo metoo metoo... when that lights a flashin, my brakes are a squealin
Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
OK.. so.. I have never heard this culinese either! Is this a Penna-Dutch ( I assume) tasty confection?

They look awesome! Thanks for sharing the bits of your heritage that you have. Always enlightening... if not fattening!

( this user would be willing to throw a few WW points at a Fasnacht)
I used to think it was a PA-Dutch treat.....
until someone at work mentioned they had one in Switzerland .....

Fasnacht (pastry)
quote From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Fasnacht, sometimes spelled Fastnacht or Faschnacht, is a fatty doughnut treat served traditionally on Fastnacht Day (Shrove Tuesday), the day before Lent starts. Fasnachts were made as a way to empty the pantry of lard, sugar, fat, and butter, which were traditionally fasted from during Lent.

Basel, Switzerland conducts an annual fasnacht festival. The Pennsylvania Deutsch territory surrounding Lancaster, Pennsylvania, celebrates the custom as well. Most chain supermarkets in the eastern Pennsylvania offer fasnachts, although WalMart offers Pączki instead. The pączki is traditionally eaten in Poland on the Thursday prior to Fasnacht Day, although in Polish communities of the US, the tradition is more commonly celebrated on Fasnacht Day. Commonly pączki are round, rather than having straight sides, and they are filled with jelly, or sometimes creme filling.

In parts of Maryland, the treats are called Kinklings, and are only sold in bakeries on Shrove Tuesday. The German version is made from a yeast dough, deep fried, and coated or dusted in sugar or cinnamon sugar; they may be plain or filled with fruit jam. Pennsylvania Dutch fasnachts can often be potato doughnuts, and may be uncoated, powdered with table sugar, or dusted with confectioner's sugar.

The term is synonymous with the Carnival season Fasnacht in southern Germany, Switzerland, Alsace and Austria. Although usually written "Fastnacht", there are many local spoken varieties: Fasnacht, Fassenacht, Fasnet etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

From what you're saying about it, it's the same as Punchki Day which is also happening now

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
From what you're saying about it, it's the same as Punchki Day which is also happening now

grumble more googling.. LOL..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
grumble more googling.. LOL..

Sorry Jesse, in Chicago, it's a big event

Bakeries get orders weeks in advance

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

I see!

http://chicagoweekendfun.com/2009/02...ednesday-lent/

Thanks for the new thing!

Not being Catholic, I am not aware of all of the different traditions surrounding Lent. I do however, love the notion of Fat Tuesday followed by ( the sacrificing of vices during Lent) Ash Wednesday. I think it's really a good thing to examine and purge things now and again.

Note: I will never give up pastries for Lent.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Quote:
I see!

Not being Catholic, I am not aware of all of the different traditions surrounding Lent. I do however, love the notion of Fat Tuesday followed by ( the sacrificing of vices during Lent) Ash Wednesday. I think it's really a good thing to examine and purge things now and again.

I'm not Catholic either, but growing up in Chicago makes you want to celebrate everything, lol

If it involved food, I wanted to celebrate

Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I see!

being raised in the Dunkard Brethren church (that handed down many PA-Dutch traditions) and with 3 pastry chefs.... I have no will power on Fasnacht Day!! I think pastries should be another food-group!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Cream Puffs,yes I said cream puffs...big ,fluffy,filled with pudding of choice,librally dusted with powdered shugar.U can bet I know a bakery that makes the best.When I loose the next 20 pounds im gonna get me one,my gift to me for sticking with the food plan.I normaly dont do food treats but this is a need to...have to.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Cream Puffs,yes I said cream puffs...big ,fluffy,filled with pudding of choice,librally dusted with powdered shugar.U can bet I know a bakery that makes the best.When I loose the next 20 pounds im gonna get me one,my gift to me for sticking with the food plan.I normaly dont do food treats but this is a need to...have to.

I've gained 43 pounds since I moved to NC....
I joined a special 8 week challenge at work last week for our "LiveWell" benefits; So I started a "weight log". My Lupus makes it difficult to exercise....but at least I can change my eating habits.

HOWEVER, on Fasnacht Day....
What's better than a Boston Cream? (one of my favorites)

How about a Maple Glazed Cream Filled?
(aww holy hannah, I think I'll have to FAKE my weight log tomorrow morning!!)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

A doughnut thread?

What took you so long?

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Ummm what?

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Been a long time since I indulged in any of these evil creations...LOL...came close a little over a month ago when a half dozen chocolate creations were briefly in the same space...but was distracted by ice cream, etc...
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post: