Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Jewish Holiday Thread

Just wanted a place to say Hag Purim Sameach!

Purim is a festival holiday celebrated by reading the Megillah, The Book of Esther, entirely in Hebrew (this is one of the only books where there is no mention of G-d) and everyone has to dress up and we practice the mitvot of mishloach manot (giving of gifts) which are little baskets with hamentaschen (a yummy cookie), fruit and other yummy snacks. Also it is the one holiday where Jews are commanded to get drunk and be merry. It starts on Sunday. Kids love it because there is always a carnival at synagogue.

Anyway to all the Jews have a lovely Purim and enjoy the sweets and cocktails.

Last edited by julieisafemme; 03-18-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: oh yeah
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

If I was still practicing my faith, I'd be doing all of the above

Hope the rest of you enjoy the holiday and all that goes along with it

Cheers!!!

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
If I was still practicing my faith, I'd be doing all of the above

Hope the rest of you enjoy the holiday and all that goes along with it

Cheers!!!
You can still have a cocktail and just call it Friday night!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,950 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
Just wanted a place to say Hag Purim Sameach!

Purim is a festival holiday celebrated by reading the Megillah, The Book of Esther, entirely in Hebrew (this is one of the only books where there is no mention of G-d) and everyone has to dress up and we practice the mitvot of mishloach manot (giving of gifts) which are little baskets with hamentaschen (a yummy cookie), fruit and other yummy snacks. Also it is the one holiday where Jews are commanded to get drunk and be merry. It starts on Sunday. Kids love it because there is always a carnival at synagogue.

Anyway to all the Jews have a lovely Purim and enjoy the sweets and cocktails.
Toda raba Julie! Awesome idea for a thread and Hag Purim Sameach to you as well!
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Happy holiday to all .

Quote:
You can still have a cocktail and just call it Friday night!!!
Ya know, it seems like all I have is Christmas, and some hardboiled eggs rolling around on Easter. LeftWriteFemme converted and enjoys all the Jewish Holidays.

So here's to all*
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation

Hag Purim Sameach to you and yours!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
Ya know, it seems like all I have is Christmas, and some hardboiled eggs rolling around on Easter. LeftWriteFemme converted and enjoys all the Jewish Holidays.

So here's to all*
She is wonderful to celebrate with, very creative and her cooking rocks!!!
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,160 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Hag Purim Sameach...

I wish my Grandma was still alive.
She and I would make Hamentaschen and then...
Run around screaming and laughing as we ate Haman's Ears!

It's a nice memory - thank you for starting this Julie.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

Hag Purim Sameach! Ty, Julieisa!

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isadora For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Member Photo Albums

It was a lovely Purim! I had dinner with my family, none of whom are Jews. We ate yummy food and I brought some hamentaschen to share.

Julie I love your story. One thing I am sad about as a convert is that I do not have a Bubbe and Zayde to share holidays with. I don't have memories or traditions to fall back on. I love hearing stories about how other Jews grew up celebrating holidays.

Thank you all for the happy Purim wishes. Next stop is Pesach or Passover. Not my favorite. I would love to hear memories from those who celebrated this as children.

Until then!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Purim is one of my most favorite holidays. I just love it I am not Jewish, but I do follow the Jewish holidays due to Rosie being Jewish, and having a number of Jewish friends. I embrace quite a few religions and find nothing wrong with that.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It was a lovely Purim! I had dinner with my family, none of whom are Jews. We ate yummy food and I brought some hamentaschen to share.

Julie I love your story. One thing I am sad about as a convert is that I do not have a Bubbe and Zayde to share holidays with. I don't have memories or traditions to fall back on. I love hearing stories about how other Jews grew up celebrating holidays.

Thank you all for the happy Purim wishes. Next stop is Pesach or Passover. Not my favorite. I would love to hear memories from those who celebrated this as children.

Until then!
It was a great Purim none of my family is Jewish either I am a convert but love it. NOw it is time for Passover which is right around the corner and have been invited to a friend's house but might do my own Passover with my girlfriend and her family here in NJ...
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
DamselFly

How Do You Identify?:
QueerStoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am or Damsel
Relationship Status:
single

DamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST Reputation
Smile a belated...

a belated Gut Yontif to all who celbrated Purim. it was one of my favorite holidays when i was a Rabbi....
namaste!
and shalom!
DamselFly
to make my own contribution
(Buddhist prayer, a favorite of H.H.)

DamselFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DamselFly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Member Photo Albums
Default Pesach!

All right tribe it is time to gear up and clean for Passover. I am not Orthodox and so my cleaning regime is kind of partial. I clean the whole house, clean out the toaster oven of all crumbs and pack up the chametz and bring it to my sister's house. We try to keep kosher for Passover by not eating chametz at home. Chametz is all the good stuff: cookies, cupcakes, cereal, bread, pasta etc. We do still eat rice though. My daughter can usually do three days and then she wants a bagel.

I like matzah brei. We make the sweet version with maple syrup. I am curious what you all make.

We are going to a first night seder at my best friend's who is also a rabbi and an amazing cook. Her seder is very groovy and queer and I am looking forward to it.

So share your stories please. I especially interested in those who grew up celebrating with seders. I did not have a Zayde and Bubbe to celebrate Passover with.

Also post your silly Passover pics and stuff. Does anyone have the total tin foil kitchen picture? Here is a silly You Tube someone posted on FB.

http://youtu.be/4t7a66vbrN0
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

With sadness I decided not to make my annual family Seder this year because my college son could not get home from school.

Lo and Behold I have been invited to THREE Seders, so will not be Seder-less this year!

My own Seder is always an alternative affair - with our hommade Haggadah, (featuring family photos through the years), readings about liberation from many cultures, and a totally non-Kosher meal, (though I do refrain from using any yeast or flour).

Heart
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

i decided to forego Seder this year at my synagogue...i am barred from actual membership because of who i am...until i came out to them several years ago there was absolutely nothing wrong with me working with the middle school kids and hosting 4 exchange students from Israel...

i do have a couple of options...the LGBT group at one of the other synagogues will be having their own Seder or i can have my own...

i was thrilled to discover last weekend that the Fresh Market here in Charlotte carries whole wheat matzo which means i don't have to go to the Kosher Mart on Sunday...i really dislike that store...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I wish everyone a happy Passover and a wonderful Seder.

Peace to all here,
Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett View Post
i decided to forego Seder this year at my synagogue...i am barred from actual membership because of who i am...until i came out to them several years ago there was absolutely nothing wrong with me working with the middle school kids and hosting 4 exchange students from Israel...

i do have a couple of options...the LGBT group at one of the other synagogues will be having their own Seder or i can have my own...

i was thrilled to discover last weekend that the Fresh Market here in Charlotte carries whole wheat matzo which means i don't have to go to the Kosher Mart on Sunday...i really dislike that store...
Miss Scarlett I am so sorry you are not welcome at your shul! I am assuming you are Orthodox? I am at a Conservative synagogue and my Rabbi is very involved in Keshet and is so welcoming to me and my partner. It has been wonderful.

I have yet to do a true seder at my house. It is daunting and I feel intimidated. I am grateful that we have an invitation.

SO sunday is the big clean for me. We have our matzah already and except for the super chametz mix I feed our two ratties we will be chametz free.

I hope you have a good seder wherever you decide to go.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
With sadness I decided not to make my annual family Seder this year because my college son could not get home from school.

Lo and Behold I have been invited to THREE Seders, so will not be Seder-less this year!

My own Seder is always an alternative affair - with our hommade Haggadah, (featuring family photos through the years), readings about liberation from many cultures, and a totally non-Kosher meal, (though I do refrain from using any yeast or flour).

Heart
I am intrigued by your seder Heart! Thanks so much fo sharing this. Sometimes because I am a New Jew I feel like I can't bend the rules too much. I think I want to try your alternative seder next year and invite a bunch of friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Miss Scarlett I am so sorry you are not welcome at your shul! I am assuming you are Orthodox? I am at a Conservative synagogue and my Rabbi is very involved in Keshet and is so welcoming to me and my partner. It has been wonderful.

I have yet to do a true seder at my house. It is daunting and I feel intimidated. I am grateful that we have an invitation.

SO sunday is the big clean for me. We have our matzah already and except for the super chametz mix I feed our two ratties we will be chametz free.

I hope you have a good seder wherever you decide to go.
Thanks Hon, my shul is best described as Hypocrital...i always identified more as Lubavitcher because of my paternal great-grandmother's family...that's who they were.

Since my "shunning" as i like to call it i've managed to find my own balance and am doing nicely there but i do miss that connection...

There's a Keshet group here but i was always so busy elsewhere in the LGBT community i never managed to connect with them...loks like that may or may not change. One of the Rabbis here at the Reform Congregation performs weddings for LGBT couples - she just did one up in DC. Before i venture near Temple Beth El i want to meet with her...i'm sure you can understand why...

i've received an invitation from my doctor to attend his family's humongous Seder...that will be an experience - been there before...he and his wife are from South Africa and they manage to cram an average of 60 people in their house...they will hold that next Sunday...

i can pull off huge, huge, huge dinners but a Seder is way more than that...so i understand your hesitation to do your own...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post: