Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Living in the south and in areas where the great white men think they rule you see a lot of this. I don't get it so much and when I do I call it right away. I did have an occasion when I went to a lawyer over a property issue. He was your typical Virginian southern old school man who made the very bad mistake of being condensing and telling me to act like a lady. I stood up and ripped him a new asshole before storming out. Nothing lady like about that!

Within the BF or queer community it never happens.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,011 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I guess I have been lucky since I don't have this happen often in real life or ever online.

And to be truthful, when it happens in real life (and never with butch, femme, trans, queer etc) it happens mostly because I want it too... sometimes it helps me to get things to happen faster, when I play the game.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
This is such a salient point from you and Snowy and really speaks to perceived power. (and I don't mean that disrespectfully).
I'll try to muddle through this as best I can - Like, I think about how some of the head-patting I have been on the receiving end of has been from folks who perceived themselves to be in positions of power over me. Either as a Top, a "Daddy", an older person, a thinner person, a more educated person, etc.

How have you addressed this in your own experiences?

I have usually said something along the lines of "You may be a Daddy but you ain't *my* Daddy" and "That's great that you are older and have more experience but this is what *I* have experienced".

I do try to be mindful of my own head-patting stuff when talking to other folks and keep an open mind so that I can always learn from other folks without my own filter of "already know".

The occasion i am speaking of was with a butch, where i lived at the time, and on a first time meeting at a gathering of a few people.

They got in my personal space and spoke to me the way that is only allowed by Dominant. Not only the words were disrespectful but the body language is what bothered me even more. i was sitting, they were standing and bent down to get in my face. i said something they apparently didn't feel i had a right to, and addressed me in a VERY disrespectful manner, in front of everyone. This happened after a few head pats and there there you little femme you.

i stood up and stated clearly not to address me that way and i won't be shut down by anyone.

i get vanilla folks don't understand protocol at times. BUT this person was under the impression that submissive is submissive to all and furthermore this person concluded that i needed to be kept in *my place* by just their butch presence.

i also got the impression that this person treats femmes like this at times, vanilla or not.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Thoughts

Quote:
This is such a salient point from you and Snowy and really speaks to perceived power. (and I don't mean that disrespectfully).
I'll try to muddle through this as best I can - Like, I think about how some of the head-patting I have been on the receiving end of has been from folks who perceived themselves to be in positions of power over me. Either as a Top, a "Daddy", an older person, a thinner person, a more educated person, etc.

How have you addressed this in your own experiences?

I have usually said something along the lines of "You may be a Daddy but you ain't *my* Daddy" and "That's great that you are older and have more experience but this is what *I* have experienced".

I do try to be mindful of my own head-patting stuff when talking to other folks and keep an open mind so that I can always learn from other folks without my own filter of "already know".

In real time, it's easier to address and snip it right away so it doesn't take root and grow.

Here on forums when I do continue to claim my space things such as this happen:

Deflection

Accusations of being a bully

Accused of being a Silencer

I am now going to put you on ignore

Othered (verbiage as some, those, others)

or my favorite they go after weatherboi

At that point that kind of head patting and irrational sexist imposition becomes comical to me and I just watch and let the perpetrator hang themselves cause they generally do cause they just can't help it. It's nice that here on BFP that Femme's are not expected to sit quietly and let the butch/man/masculine folk run the forums. Our voices are just as important.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

Last edited by The_Lady_Snow; 12-17-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: HAHAHAHA I posted shit quietly :|
The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,229 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
This discussion didn't really feel at home in very many other threads in the zone so I wanted to start one here.

When I think of "headpatting", I think of how there have been times when it felt as if a Femme was expected to "know her place" in discussions, times when Femmes speaking up about their opinions were met with placating and patronizing.

I am interested in hearing from other Femmes about times they have felt "headpatted" by Butches, Transmen, and other Femmes. How did it manifest? How did it feel? Why do you think it happened?

I have had this discussion with a few of my girlfriends over the years but am interested in an expanded discussion.

Have you felt headpatted as a result of exercising a dominant voice? Do you see this as a symptom of sexism? Do you see this as a tool of silencing?

I'll add more in a bit.

These are some very thought-provoking questions, Medusa.
Yes, I've had this happen before. Suprisingly, it's been older heterosexual women, more than any other group.

Which for me, was always a difficult thing because I was brought up to give respect to my elders, and to listen and to learn from their mistakes, as well as their experiences. So, for a long time, I would just listen to them, even if they were "headpatting" me on and off throughout the conversation.

But I did listen...and when you just listen and observe..you can learn at a very rapid pace. And eventually, I was taking that knowledge and expanding upon it. Therefore, "the student was out-learning the teacher", so-to-speak.

And then when that same individual (older than me, or not) would try to dismiss me again, I wouldn't whine about it. I would simply show him/her/hym/ect...what I did learn about the given subject...beyond even their scope..and then it usually doesn't happen again, w/ that person. I find this very effective,no matter who it is. I don't do that in a disrespectful or offensive manner, I just simply allow them to see me.

To me, every person or child has a valid voice and the right to express it without being shut down. As humans we all have a unequivocal *need* to express what we feel. A NEED.And that is expressed uniquely through the individual.

I don't know if it's coming from a sexist or silencing position, because I can't read another's history, experiences, trauma's, upbringing...ect. And I believe how we treat others, or how we move through the world, is a mixture of all of those things that make up that person's behaviors.

It's hard for me to get angry when this happens, because when someone's doing that, it says more about them, than it does about me. And sometimes, to me, it can even feel stragely nurturing...depending on the person and the circumstances, of course.

Do I do it, or have I done it?
Hmmmm....I'm sure that I have. But, I have not heard that specifically from anyone, yet.
If I had, I would hope that they would be straight with me, and just tell me how I really made them feel and why, now or later, at some point. It would be a learning experience for me, and I do welcome that.

There is a saying that I always try to keep somewhere in the forefront of my mind:

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

>Maya Angelou
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #26
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
I am a human and not a possession

Thanked 13,441 Times in 4,316 Posts
Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

I had this happen to me on the dash site and I just chose not to allow the person who started the head patting, to know that they got to me. I have more of this happening in real time. I grew up in a family that my dad was the boss and my mother and I had no voice. It has taking me many years to get over this and now, I won't allow anyone to silence me. The other day at work, my boss did this to me since my job at the school is *temporary* and some of the employees treat you as such. I finally went to my manager and said, "You don't pay me enough to put up with attitude and shit from these people". I graduated from this college and never felt like they would treat an alumni like this. I almost told them to shove the job and quit but I chose to talk it out with someone and now I will be officially taking it to Human Resources...

Zimmeh
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zimmeh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

This may not fit in this thread but i wanted to share, i just LOVE Hillary Clinton.

MODERATOR 1: Okay. Which designers do you prefer?
SECRETARY CLINTON: What designers of clothes?
MODERATOR 1: Yes.
SECRETARY CLINTON: Would you ever ask a man that question? (Laughter.) (Applause.)
MODERATOR 1: Probably not. Probably not. (Applause.)
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
Vivacious1

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme
Relationship Status:
taken

3 Highscores

Vivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST Reputation

I have totally experienced this!!!!!

I have gotten the "What you don't understand"
"I'll take care of this" (Basically suggesting it isn't my place"
The attempt of trying to talk over my head as if I am a child
Making financial decisions without my input
ETC....

I initially felt angry, because of the idea that I was not smart enough (because I was a "girl) or simply because that wasn't my role. After the anger subsided, I made myself quite clear. I met the other person at the level they were talking at and let them know I could meet them toe to toe with intellect. I would be involved in financial decisions and just because I "choose" not to do certain things, in no way means I "can't" do them!!!