Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #101
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

What don't you understand about the chart, other than that insane statement pertaining to the sweet potatoes?

Two questions, are you eating enough and often, and are you eating enough healthy fats? If so, it may just be that you are at a healthy weight for your build and body type. Paleo is not just about not eating bread or sugar, it is about eating enough of the right stuff. Lots of veggies, proteins and healthy fats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
i don't understand the chart!!!!!

i have had ONE tiny piece of bread/bread product in over a month.

NO sugar except for a little in the milk i put in coffee a couple times a day.

i feel /see no difference in getting these few pounds off.

//discouraged
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #102
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Yes the skinny comment was designed to be sarcastic, i believe.

let me google Paleo and see what i find.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #103
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

ok this reminds me of the *God* diet... if it's made by *God* you can have it.

(i did not name it that, i am repeating what i've heard)

So apple = made by *God*, is allowed

Pasta = made by *man*, not allowed

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #104
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Hmm...Never heard of that diet but being paleo is definitely about eating "live" foods, no processed stuff. It seems the camp has been divided in two recently, so now there is paleo and there is primal. lol I believe primal is paleo minus all dairy products, whereas paleo allows dairy in moderation. At any rate, to me it is not a diet, but the way I choose to eat because I feel better physically and mentally when I eat this way.

Quote:
ok this reminds me of the *God* diet... if it's made by *God* you can have it.

(i did not name it that, i am repeating what i've heard)

So apple = made by *God*, is allowed

Pasta = made by *man*, not allowed

“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #105
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

So that I do not get a thousand reps asking where is the chart I posted, I asked that it be removed because I felt the wording of one part of it may create issues. I will locate another one without that particular wording.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #106
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hmm...Never heard of that diet but being paleo is definitely about eating "live" foods, no processed stuff. It seems the camp has been divided in two recently, so now there is paleo and there is primal. lol I believe primal is paleo minus all dairy products, whereas paleo allows dairy in moderation. At any rate, to me it is not a diet, but the way I choose to eat because I feel better physically and mentally when I eat this way.

Yes. the word *diet* has taken on a negative tone, even a balanced food plan is a diet of sorts... yet the thought of *being* on a diet makes me cringe.

i must admit that i do feel much better since cutting out the processed foods. i have not lost any weight but i feel good. Less headaches and i don't feel as *fluidy* as i did when i came off the last round of steroids.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #107
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

That's awesome girl dee! It means you are going in the right direction. I know that when I eat anything processed now, I can tell my body doesn't approve, now that it knows there is real food to be had. I become bloated, headachy(hey it's a word, I know because I just made it up!) etc. My problem is that I still am not drinking enough water, but I am working on it.

Quote:
Yes. the word *diet* has taken on a negative tone, even a balanced food plan is a diet of sorts... yet the thought of *being* on a diet makes me cringe.

i must admit that i do feel much better since cutting out the processed foods. i have not lost any weight but i feel good. Less headaches and i don't feel as *fluidy* as i did when i came off the last round of steroids.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #108
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,774 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Those steroids might have something to do with your plateau too. They throw all kinds of wrenches into the plan.

Glad you're feeling better!

I wish I could eat this way. More accurately, I wish I had the willpower to eat more like this. The carbs.....they are my weakness. Anyone have tips for reducing carb cravings, other than distraction?

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #109
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post

http://paleospirit.com/2013/paleo-banana-pancakes/ (going to attempt these this weekend)
Made these this Sunday and they were absolutely amazing!! I covered mine with fresh blueberries and some plain yogurt and a little bit of maple syrup.

Enjoy.
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #110
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Gemme, the only way I know to reduce the cravings is to slowly start cutting back on them. Don't let yourself get overly hungry, and plan out your meals every day. When I mess up and don't plan my meal, as in take something out of the freezer to cook is when I end up having a pizza night and usually regret it later, not from guilt but from bloating. I think it is like anything else we are trying to change, it just takes time and persistence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I wish I could eat this way. More accurately, I wish I had the willpower to eat more like this. The carbs.....they are my weakness. Anyone have tips for reducing carb cravings, other than distraction?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #111
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post

We have issues with carbs too-- But my suggestion is -- get rid of them. We cleaned out our pantry, freezer, cabinets, and refrigerator of all not good carbs. And we were literally left with nothing. And then go shopping for good things. Everything has carbs-- but its knowing what is better for you and what has less carbs vs. higher carbs.

Like a banana has 27g carb (medium) but 1 cup of watermelon (diced) only 11 g carb. You can easily find this information on google/bing : how many carbs in ________.

I started a daily log to caculate how many carbs I'm eating daily and how I can reduce it because I need to loose weight, get my sugars back on track, and just be healthy. I've never been a real big bread guy, but I LOVE my pizza and pretzels.

I'm on week 3 with this new change of eating-- and I still struggle with things. I hear it takes about 6 weeks to really be okay... My wife though, she struggles more than I do. She's just not convinced that this is what she needs -- so we talk about it pretty much daily. I do almost all the cooking (92 percent of the time) so she eats what I serve. But while at work, I have no control over what she eats.

There are a lot of great blogs out there to help with starting the paleo/primal way of eating -- and good recipes. I started out eating more 'real food' -- getting away from processed foods, more than 7 ingredients, whole grains, more fruits/veggies, better meats --- but found out that my sugar/carb increased, so here I am trying little/to none grains.

Gemme, if you want any other information-- ask Jesse or myself and I'm sure we can help ya out. PS. Most of your dinners sound awesome.

and I would have to agree with Jesse about the days about not being prepared ahead of time. It makes a huge difference. HUGE.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #112
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

We'll try this chart until I can find a better one to replace it with.

Just to specify on the fats: Butter means made from cream from grass fed cows and goats, (I may be losing my mind, I almost typed cows and horses! ) if possible, otherwise use the healthiest butter you can find, rather than margerines and butter substitutes. Also some other healthy fats are coconut, olives, avocado and nuts, all in moderation of course.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #113
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Sorry about the size, it was unreadable cropped.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #114
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I am posting a few recipes from some of my favorite paleo web sites, I hope you find some that you enjoy.
This first one is quick and easy and comes from fastpaleo.com and puts a whole new spin on green eggs and ham!

Avocado-Deviled Eggs Servings : 4
Peel 2 hard-boiled eggs and cut in half length-wise.
Spoon out yolks into a small bowl and mash with avocado and remaining ingredients.
Put mixture into zip-lock bag and cut corner off (hole to be size of a dime)
Pipe into egg white halves.
Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
(2 halves = 234 calories, 24 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams fat)

Ingredients

• 4 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 Avocado
  • Juice of half Lemon
  • 1 Tbsp Hot Sauce
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste
  • Paprika
Typically, I like to have this with a few fresh berries and a couple of slices of lean (homemade) bacon for breakfast. I do not bother with the baggy routine, because I feel like it is a waste of resources. I've been packing the devil into the eggs for many years using a teaspoon and guess what? It still works. This is a good high protein, low carb, good fat breakfast, just don't over do on the amount of avocado eggs you consume because it will kill you on the calories. Don't forget to drink a glass of water.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #115
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I rarely if ever follow any recipe to exactly and prefer to change it up according to my personal preferences. For instance, on this one, I do not make the cheese sauce, preferring to sprinkle a little fresh herbed farmers cheese directly on top of the plated dish. I generally make my own plantain chips or sometimes I will make sweet potato or zucchini chips and use those. I also add a larger variety of chopped/shredded veggies when I make this.

So make it your own, and come back and share with us what you did differently.

This recipe is from cleaneatingwithadirtymind.com

It is a bit long, because it is 3 recipes in one, so hang in there.

Paleo Nachos
Makes 2 servings
Ingredients:
1 pound of ground grass-fed beef
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
dash of sea salt
dash of pepper
4 cups of plantain chips
1 jalepeno, chopped
1 tomato diced
1/4 of a white onion, diced
1 tablespoon of crème fraîche (optional)
1 tablespoon of fresh salsa
black olives (optional)
cilantro for garnish
sliced jalepeno for garnish
guacamole (recipe below)
nacho cheese sauce (recipe below)
Directions:
- In a large pan cook the grass-fed beef over medium-high heat. While the meat is cooking add the 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Continue to stir and crumble with a spatula until the meat is cooked through, taste test and add more spices as needed to personal preference.
- On a large plate lay out your plantain chips, then drizzle the nacho cheese sauce on top. Continue garnishing with desired amounts of guacamole, tomatoes, onions, salsa, black olives, cilantro and jalepenos. Enjoy!
Guacamole
Ingredients:
6 ripe avocados
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/4 of a white onion, diced
the juice from 1/2 of a lime
1 & 1/2 teaspoons of garlic salt
Directions:
-Cut your produce. Then cut the avocados in half and remove the pits and skin.
-In a large bowl combine the avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, lime juice, and garlic salt. Use a large metal utensil of your choice (I use a stainless steel pasta stirrer) to mash and stir the avocado and ingredients together until well combined.
- Depending on how much you use on your nachos, you will have quite a bit of guacamole left over. When has left over guacamole ever been a bad thing?
Nacho Cheese Sauce
Ingredients:
1 cup of cashews (soaked overnight or for at least 4 hours)
6 tablespoons of coconut water (I use Zico for cooking, I find it’s not as sweet)
1/4 cup goat cheese (optional)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 jalepeno, chopped
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
a few shakes of garlic salt
a few shakes of sea salt
a few shakes of onion powder
Directions:
- In a high powered blender combine all the ingredients and blend until creamy. You can also use a food processor for this but I find a blender works best. I did blend for about 7 minutes to get the creamy consistency I wanted. If it’s too thick try adding another tablespoon of coconut water. If you aren’t using the goat cheese you could try a coconut milk sub to make the cheese sauce creamy. I would start with 2 tablespoons and taste test from there. Maybe even try some adobo sauce or serrano chilies, feel free to make it your own!
- When you are ready to use, heat the nacho sauce in the microwave or on the stove in a sauce pan over low heat until warm.
Notes:
"As I mentioned above, to make these nachos true Paleo and for those with dairy limitations please omit the goat cheese and crème fraîche if so desired. According to Wikipedia, Crème fraîche is a sourced cream containing 30-45% butterfat. It is also sourced with bacterial culture and is slightly less sour than American sour cream. It’s available in most health food stores and is a great sub for sour cream because most American sour cream has a handful of not so great ingredients like: Modified Food Starch, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Caarrageenan, Dextrose, Potassium Sorbate, and Sodium Citrate. The only ingredient in crème fraîche is, you guessed it, cream. It goes really good with desserts and strawberries." (Vanessa from cleaneatingwithadirtymind.com)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #116
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

I like crock pot meals. The first meal I am going to try from this site is-- Chile Cilantro Lime Chicken-- can't wait.

Thanks Jesse for the recipes -- I've actually have made the eggs and I really enjoyed them. Another way of deviled eggs -- add turkey bacon to the yolk part, with dried mustard, avocado, red bell, its super yummy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #117
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I do not use my crock pot as much as I use to, partly because the knob on the glass lid broke off after years of use and I need to order a new knob for it. I will use it soon though, knob or no knob, to make some pulled pork. Lol!

Which reminds me, I have a grass fed pork belly in the fridge curing with spices and sea salt. It will be cured in about 5 to 7 days and I am going to make a couple of pounds of homemade bacon from it. This way, I will know that it is not hopped up with GMOs (Bad Stuff!) or sugars. I can barely wait for it.

Let us know how that chicken turns out. It sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
I like crock pot meals. The first meal I am going to try from this site is-- Chile Cilantro Lime Chicken-- can't wait.

Thanks Jesse for the recipes -- I've actually have made the eggs and I really enjoyed them. Another way of deviled eggs -- add turkey bacon to the yolk part, with dried mustard, avocado, red bell, its super yummy.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #118
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Here's another YUM Paleo recipe!

Everyday Paleo Spanish Tortilla
2 medium yams, peeled and sliced into thin rounds with a mandolin slicer
2 cups torn arugula (or spinach leaves)
1 purple onion, sliced thin
3 tablespoons coconut oil
10 eggs
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
In a saute pan (this is a pan that is about 2-3 inches deep unlike the flatter skillet), heat 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil. Make sure your oil is hot enough that is sizzles when you lay in a slice of yam. Cook the yam slices in a single layer in batches in the hot oil, flipping after frying for about a minute on each side or when they start to brown. Set the cooked yams aside, add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil into the pan and saute the onions just until they start to turn brown. While the onions are cooking, beat the eggs together with the spices in a medium sized bowl. After the onions begin to brown, spread them evenly on the bottom of the pan and layer the yams on top of the onions, followed by a layer of the arugula. Poor the egg mixture evenly over the layers of veggies and cook over medium or medium low until the edges start to look done (about 4-5 minutes). Move the entire pan underneath your broiler for another 5-6 minutes until the “tortilla” is firm on top. Remove and slice like a pizza and eat immediately. Serves 4-5.

Credit to: Everyday Paleo
Old 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #119
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Made this.... and it was wonderful. Though I used boneless and skinless chicken and then grilled it. I enjoyed it with carrots and massaged kale salad. Leftovers were bomb diggity.

About massaged kale salad-- makes a huge difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #120
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

For the Paleo Folks, or those thinking about it, or those who just want a FREE Kindle book just because.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYEBNTG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957& creativeASIN=B00DYEBNTG&linkCode=as2&tag=tnlfreeeb ook-20"]Amazon.com: The Ultimate Kickass Paleo Cookbook: Quick and Easy Paleo Appetizers, Snacks, Slow Cooker Chicken and Beef Meals and Desserts eBook: Lisa Ujka: Kindle Store[/ame]

Grab it up if you want it. Sometimes these free Kindles books are not free for long.

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo