Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #61
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanale View Post
I recently spent a week at a conference in Santa Cruz and was surprised the UC campus wasn't more vegan-friendly. I ended up making several trips to Whole Foods, which wasn't exactly nearby, just to I could get something besides the salad or spaghetti that the dining hall offered.
I think vegan gets put into the vegetarian pile a lot!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #62
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default question for the bakers-pastry chefs-vegan culinary experimentalism-

i have made strudel for people- fruit filled as well as savoury. has anyone had success with vegan strudel, please? i'm wondering if a vegan pie crust might work?

i would use wheat-free/gluten free flours: rice flour, sorghum flour, ener-g egg product, potato starch, brown sugar, ginger [allergic to and miss to death, cinnamon!], earth balance, apple cider, and ice cold water.

good night ! coconut milk unsweetened, trader joe's tumaco cocoa powder, and silk vanilla coffee creamer is the best, and i always have fantastic dreams.

Last edited by violaine; 09-26-2010 at 01:37 AM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #63
squeak

How Do You Identify?:
femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
making one butch sweat

squeak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
i have made strudel for people- fruit filled as well as savoury. has anyone had success with vegan strudel, please? i'm wondering if a vegan pie crust might work?

i would use wheat-free/gluten free flours: rice flour, sorghum flour, ener-g egg product, potato starch, brown sugar, ginger [allergic to and miss to death, cinnamon!], earth balance, apple cider, and ice cold water.

good night ! coconut milk unsweetened, trader joe's tumaco cocoa powder, and silk vanilla coffee creamer is the best, and i always have fantastic dreams.
I've never made strudel (sounds so refined!), but I do bake a lot - how does this recipe sound?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaUpIAsL6SA"]YouTube - VegNews TV: Mother's Day Strudel[/nomedia]

I've taken a class with those sisters at Spork foods here in LA and they can really turn out some amazing baked goods. Plus, look at that stunning gene pool!

They use whole week and unbleached AP flour here, but if you are trying to avoid gluten and are using rice flour you might want to go for brown rice flour if you can find it. It will have more "grip" and a deeper flavor. In this recipe they also use lots of commerical vegan alternatives for sour cream, cream cheese, etc and no other binders or oil besides the Earth Balance margarine. I think Ener-g can come through crusts with a kind of bitter or chemical aftertaste sometimes. I've only had success with it in one cornbread recipe.

Happy baking!

xosqueak
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #64
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile thank you!

yes, for a thicker, more rustic strudel. i find the brown rice flour has some grit, and while it does not bother me such much, i wanted to make it without so someone else [who dislikes the texture gritty- even rice bran was out, and it could have added moisture] could also enjoy. i agree on the 'refined' but did not list all the flours i typically bake with- to balance the carbs/ proteins= fava bean, chickpea, sorghum, and teff is excellent in place of wheat [but $$$].

the pastry dough turned out good; additional moisture was added with almond meal [easy to grind up yourself instead of buying- or else use cashews, et c]. i do not notice the bitter flavour with ener-g, and i've used it tons with banana nut breads/cakes, belgian waffles w/oat flour, buckwheat, teff, and cornbread ----> corn muffins [coconut, pineapple, maple, corn= everything!].

i like a thinner strudel, and did not follow exactly their recipe; i will use several as guides. a flexible dinner place mat can be used just as easily as a pastry board. i want to work on the recipe a little more, and get the amounts down [i don't measure often], then fill with blueberries, strawberries, pineapple after i've turned dough out of mini tart tins. working with these tins, i've found the spray non-stick works really good, and being sure to poke holes with a fork in the dough so it doesn't puff up. also, cooking it through - giving enough time so the outside is not done, while the layer between uncooked. earth balance helps with the process of dough evening out, and pulling in, when enough oven time is given to the pastry dough.

Last edited by violaine; 09-26-2010 at 11:31 PM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #65
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Another recipe from the Jewish site I belong to with one more to follow after this one

Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage Two Ways
Each of these fillings makes enough to stuff the leaves of a medium head of cabbage. Each serves 3 to 4 as a main dish.

Cabbage leaves
1 medium-large head green cabbage

Sauce
1 to 2 Tablespoons tomato paste mixed with 1/2 cup water
3 cups of your favorite simple tomato sauce (3 8-oz. cans) or tomato juice
Or
One 28-oz can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, left chunky or puréed, if desired

To prepare the cabbage and sauce:
Core the cabbage by turning it upside-down and cutting in a circle around the center. You should cut out a piece that looks like a cone and contains the tough inner part of the cabbage.

Boil a large pot of water.

Using tongs or a large grilling fork, grasp the cabbage head and lower it into the boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes, rolling the cabbage to rest on a different side about halfway through.

Using the same tongs or large fork, remove the cabbage from the water. Let the hot water drain off into the pot, leave the heat on under the pot of water, and remove the cabbage to a work surface. Allow to cool a bit, rinsing in cold water if desired to speed the process.

Remove the softened, translucent outer leaves. Return the uncooked part of the cabbage to the boiling water for another 5 minutes, turning once, to allow the next layer of leaves to soften. Then remove the cabbage from the pot and peel off the soft leaves. Repeat this process until all leaves have been cooked.

When all the leaves are cool enough to handle, slice off the top of the large vein in each leaf, or cut it out completely. Slice especially large leaves in half.

Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside. If using the fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, have on hand.

Lentil-mushroom filling
This variation mimics the look and texture of the traditional meat-filled cabbage leaves that you might remember from your mother's or grandmother's kitchen.

¼ cup olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 8-oz package white mushrooms or 3-4 portabella mushrooms, including stems, chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
3-4 cups cooked green (brown) lentils (use 2 cans, or cook 1 cup dry lentils and reserve some of the liquid)
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or 3 Tablespoons red wine (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet (choose one with a lid so you can use the same skillet for simmering the cabbage rolls later). When hot, add onions. Sauté for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and sauté on medium-high heat until they begin to brown and shrink. Add the carrot and sauté another minute. Add the lentils, salt, and vinegar or wine, then bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Mash the lentils with a potato masher. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until they are the consistency of moist refried beans. Remove from heat and add additional salt and pepper to taste.

Remove from the skillet and rinse the skillet. Add a little of the sauce to coat the bottom. Then start making the rolls as described after the next filling.

Zesty garbanzo filling
Based on a Middle-Eastern recipe, this next filling is inspired by the combination of mashed chickpeas and curry that fills the pocket pastries known as sambusaks or sambuskas. Adapted from sooogood.org.

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ bunch parsley, rinsed and chopped (about 1 cup loosely packed)
1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
2 15-oz. cans garbanzo beans, partially drained
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet (choose one with a lid so you can use the same skillet for simmering the cabbage rolls later). When hot, add onions. Sauté for a few minutes, until translucent.

Add garlic and continue to sauté until beginning to brown. Add parsley and curry powder, and sauté another minute.

Add garbanzo beans, with their liquid, and lemon juice.

Simmer and mash with a potato masher. Continue to simmer until the mixture is the consistency of moist refried beans.

Remove from the skillet and rinse the skillet. Add enough of the tomato sauce to coat the bottom. Then start making the rolls.

To assemble and cook the stuffed cabbage rolls:
Place a cabbage leaf on a work surface with the wide side facing you and the sliced-out center (where the vein used to be) vertical.

Bring together the split sides of the leaf and overlap.

Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of filling in the bottom of the leaf (where the vein was cut out) and roll up, away from you. You'll notice that the leaf's natural curve makes this easy to do.

When you finish rolling each leaf, place it in the tomato sauce, seam side down, in a single layer in the prepared skillet or pot.

When the rolls are all ready and arranged in the pan, pour in enough sauce to cover the rolls. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.

Simmer on low, covered, for about 25 minutes. If sauce has thickened, heat additional sauce to pour over the rolls before serving. Or allow to cool and then store in a well-sealed container for up to three days, then reheat.

Serve with a dallop of sour cream or yogurt, if desired, alongside rice pilaf, tabbouleh, or a tossed salad.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #66
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Stuffed "Cigars"
This rolled finger food is encased in thin, flaky sheets of phyllo (filo). It is tricky to make because of the delicate nature of the dough, but well worth the effort. Remember to plan ahead when making this, as phyllo dough needs to thaw in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before you can cook with it. For a simpler method, use puff pastry.

This makes 32 phyllo cigars or 16 puff pastry rolls, serving 10 to 12 as appetizers.

The dough casing
8-10 sheets phyllo (filo) dough (about ½ of a 16-oz. package), thawed for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, then another 2 hours at room temperature.

Or

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed for 2 hours at room temperature or 6 hours in the refrigerator.

Potato-feta filling

3 medium or 5 small new potatoes, peeled or just scrubbed, and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 Tablespoon butter, olive oil, or margarine
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
3 oz. feta cheese (about ½ cup), crumbled
Pinch ground cayenne
Pinch nutmeg
Salt to taste
½ stick butter or margarine, melted (if using phyllo dough)
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon water (if using puff pastry)

Boil a medium saucepan of salted water, then add the potatoes. Continue to boil, covered, for 10-20 minutes, or until potato cubes are soft. Drain potatoes and leave in colander.

In the saucepan, melt the butter or margarine or heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic and cook until browned. Add the potatoes and mash. Add the milk, feta cheese, cayenne, and nutmeg. Combine. Salt to taste. Add the egg and mix one more time.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

To assemble the rolls with phyllo dough, prepare a dry, flat work surface like a large cutting board. Lay one sheet of dough on the work surface and brush with melted butter. Lay a second sheet onto the first, and brush again with butter. Keep the remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap and a moist towel. Cut the layered sheets in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 pieces so you have a total of 8 rectangles.

Place a scant tablespoon of the potato-feta filling at the short end of each rectangle. Roll each rectangle a few turns, tuck in the edges, and continue to roll into a cigar shape. Place each "cigar" onto the prepared baking sheet seam side down. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough and filling.

If using puff pastry, prepare a work surface with a good layer of flour. Unfold the puff pastry sheet onto the work surface and cut into fourths. Place one of the quarter-sheets on the work surface and sprinkle flour over the top. Roll out to about ¼" thick and cut into 4 rectangles.

Place a tablespoon of filling at a short end of each rectangle. Roll the rectangle like a cigar. When finished, tuck in the sides.

Place phyllo/puff pastry cigars on a prepared baking pan with the seams of the tucked-in sides facing down. If you used puff pastry, brush with the beaten egg and water mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve cigars with spicy harissa or with olive oil mixed with za'atar for dipping.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #67
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Bamia (Okra) with Tomatoes
Serves 4-6 as a side dish.

3 cups fresh okra, left whole (tops trimmed off)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small (6 oz) can tomato paste
Juice of one lemon (do not use bottled)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon dried caraway

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add okra, toss to coat, and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes, until onion starts to soften. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, sugar, and spices and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If mixture starts to look dry, add water a few tablespoons at a time. Serve hot over rice.

The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #68
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

I get Food & Wine magazine, so they also send me emails from time to time
Today is about Vegan/Vegetarian recipes...hoping the links will take you there

This one is vegetarian
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...?xid=DISH09301
This one is vegan
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...xid=DISH093010

Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #69
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
Stuffed "Cigars"
This rolled finger food is encased in thin, flaky sheets of phyllo (filo). It is tricky to make because of the delicate nature of the dough, but well worth the effort. Remember to plan ahead when making this, as phyllo dough needs to thaw in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before you can cook with it. For a simpler method, use puff pastry.

This makes 32 phyllo cigars or 16 puff pastry rolls, serving 10 to 12 as appetizers.

The dough casing
8-10 sheets phyllo (filo) dough (about ½ of a 16-oz. package), thawed for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, then another 2 hours at room temperature.

Or

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed for 2 hours at room temperature or 6 hours in the refrigerator.

Potato-feta filling

3 medium or 5 small new potatoes, peeled or just scrubbed, and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 Tablespoon butter, olive oil, or margarine
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
3 oz. feta cheese (about ½ cup), crumbled
Pinch ground cayenne
Pinch nutmeg
Salt to taste
½ stick butter or margarine, melted (if using phyllo dough)
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon water (if using puff pastry)

Boil a medium saucepan of salted water, then add the potatoes. Continue to boil, covered, for 10-20 minutes, or until potato cubes are soft. Drain potatoes and leave in colander.

In the saucepan, melt the butter or margarine or heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic and cook until browned. Add the potatoes and mash. Add the milk, feta cheese, cayenne, and nutmeg. Combine. Salt to taste. Add the egg and mix one more time.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

To assemble the rolls with phyllo dough, prepare a dry, flat work surface like a large cutting board. Lay one sheet of dough on the work surface and brush with melted butter. Lay a second sheet onto the first, and brush again with butter. Keep the remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap and a moist towel. Cut the layered sheets in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 pieces so you have a total of 8 rectangles.

Place a scant tablespoon of the potato-feta filling at the short end of each rectangle. Roll each rectangle a few turns, tuck in the edges, and continue to roll into a cigar shape. Place each "cigar" onto the prepared baking sheet seam side down. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough and filling.

If using puff pastry, prepare a work surface with a good layer of flour. Unfold the puff pastry sheet onto the work surface and cut into fourths. Place one of the quarter-sheets on the work surface and sprinkle flour over the top. Roll out to about ¼" thick and cut into 4 rectangles.

Place a tablespoon of filling at a short end of each rectangle. Roll the rectangle like a cigar. When finished, tuck in the sides.

Place phyllo/puff pastry cigars on a prepared baking pan with the seams of the tucked-in sides facing down. If you used puff pastry, brush with the beaten egg and water mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve cigars with spicy harissa or with olive oil mixed with za'atar for dipping.

This sounds great and yummy and anything with feta is right up my alley. Going to print recipe to make for the weekend!! Thanks Wolfy...
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #70
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

I was on AOL watching a food video that uses eggplant in the recipe
and I liked the video so well, I thought it was worth sharing.
The recipe is quite simple and doesn't take long to make.

http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/09/..._lnk3%7C175798

Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #71
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,723 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I love how simple and low-carb this is, and the use of mustard seed in it- healthy, delicious, and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
I was on AOL watching a food video that uses eggplant in the recipe
and I liked the video so well, I thought it was worth sharing.
The recipe is quite simple and doesn't take long to make.

http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/09/..._lnk3%7C175798
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #72
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I need recipes for vegetarian foods!! plz
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #73
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
We're having a large gathering at our house and those eggplant canneloni's look amazing!

I will also be making a vegetarian curry that people can spoon over rice. I've been cooking with Tempeh lately and there will be some of that in there too.

This is where I say.....June's cooking and I wished there wasn't all this distance between our houses.

When I watched the video early this morning, I wanted them for breakfast, but I have no eggplant in the house.

Can you put up a recipe for that vegetarian curry, please?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #74
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

i am not vegan or vegetarian, but i do make a vegan chocolate cheesecake at the restaurant where i work. i wouldn't call it an easy recipe, but the work is not extremely difficult either. i will share it with y'all...it is a great dessert.
i have only made it in a 9-inch springform pan, so i am not sure how it turns out in a different pan.

For graham cracker crust:
1 1/4 cups chocolate or regular graham cracker crumbs (from nine 5-by 2 1/2-inch graham crackers)
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan buttery spread, melted and cooled, plus additional for greasing pan

For chocolate tofu filling:
2 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/3 cup water
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60% cacao), chopped
2 (1-pound packages silken tofu, drained
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
2 (8-ounces) containers soy cream cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt

preparation:

Make graham cracker crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in middle and lower third and put a baking sheet on lower rack. Flip bottom of springform pan so lip is facing down, then lock in place. Grease bottom and side of pan.

Stir together all crust ingredients, then press onto bottom and 1 inch up side of pan. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes, then cool completely, about 45 minutes.

Make chocolate tofu filling:
Heat 1 cup sugar in a 1 1/2-to 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a fork to heat sugar evenly, until it starts to melt, then stop stirring and cook, swirling pan occasionally so sugar melts evenly, until it is dark amber. Remove from heat and carefully stir in water (mixture will bubble up and steam and caramel will harden), then cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until caramel has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in chopped chocolate until smooth. Cool fudge sauce slightly.

Purée tofu and cocoa in a food processor until smooth.

Beat soy cream cheese and remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. At low speed, beat in tofu purée, vanilla, salt, and fudge sauce until incorporated.

Pour filling into crust and bake on middle rack until top of cake is shiny but center is still slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave cake in oven 1 hour more.

Run a knife around top edge of cake to loosen, then cool completely in pan on rack (cake will continue to set as it cools). Chill cake, loosely covered, at least 6 hours. Remove side of pan and transfer cake to a plate. Bring to room temperature before serving if desired.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #75
squeak

How Do You Identify?:
femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
making one butch sweat

squeak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputation

For those in LA:

Um.

LA VEGAN BEER FEST

11/6/10 at the Roxy in West Hollywood/Sunset Blvd.

If that wasn't enough incentive - Doomie's Homecookin' will be making a cameo. Folks, when I first visited LA a few years ago, after never getting to experience the joy of a fully vegan restaurant, I went to Doomie's in Chinatown. It was... amazing. A good 1/3 of the reason I decided to move to LA. Alas, they closed down and have been a mythical unicorn in the vegan underbelly of LA. They resurface at trendy overnight vegan parties and fundraisers and then vanish again. Oh, Doomie! I miss you! And that's why I'm going. And why you should, too.

xosqueak
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squeak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #76
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,096 Times in 3,753 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Can anyone help a Gal out?
I have 2 huge paper bags FULL of green tomatoes...if the plants survive the frost, I might have more later.... I need a really good recipe for Green Tomato Relish or Salsa that does not call for hot peppers or bell peppers.

We had dinner at Moe's one evening, and REALLY enjoyed their Relish/Salsa (not sure which it was, but it was YUMMY!!)... I hope to make something similar since it didn't burn my belly like regular salsa. I'd love to can or freeze some.

Calling all good cooks....
THANKS!!!
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #77
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,096 Times in 3,753 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
Can anyone help a Gal out?
I have 2 huge paper bags FULL of green tomatoes...if the plants survive the frost, I might have more later.... I need a really good recipe for Green Tomato Relish or Salsa that does not call for hot peppers or bell peppers.

We had dinner at Moe's one evening, and REALLY enjoyed their Relish/Salsa (not sure which it was, but it was YUMMY!!)... I hope to make something similar since it didn't burn my belly like regular salsa. I'd love to can or freeze some.

Calling all good cooks....
THANKS!!!

*HAPPY DANCE!!! HAPPY buttwiggle DANCE!!!*
I found a fantastic recipe for Tomatillo Salsa Verde, where I used my green tomatoes instead of tomatillos. It turned out AMAZING, FANdamnTASTIC!!! Very yummy and I think even better than Moe's.

I "tweaked" a few things to get the spices "to taste", added a splash of apple cider vinegar, and I did finally settle to use a couple hot peppers. I'm so tickled with how it turned out!! I made three batches tonight for freezing...but my housemate said it won't be in the freezer for very long!! I have a lot more to make, but just wanted to report back and thank all those who gave me ideas.

It was SO EASY to make. I like it with Wheat Thins....
Here's where I found the recipe... http://www.shewearsmanyhats.com/2010...-verde-recipe/

Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #78
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Torzelli (Deep-fried curly endive)
Recipe slightly adapted from Joyce Goldstein's Cucina Ebraica: Flavors of the Italian Jewish Kitchen.
Serves 4-6.

1 large head of curly endive
Safflower oil (for deep frying)
2 eggs
4 Tablespoons water
3/4 cup unbleached flour (or more as needed for dipping)
Salt and pepper
Zest of two lemons

Wash endive thoroughly to remove any dirt. If it's a particularly large head of endive, cut it in half and store the rest for later use. Chop the endive roughly into approximately 3-inch pieces.

Drop endive into a pot of salted boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the leaves are slightly softened, but not wilted or mushy. Drain, remove excess moisture with a towel, and allow to dry.

Pour 2 inches of oil in a saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, beat eggs and water together in a bowl and set aside. Spread flour on a plate and set aside.

When oil is hot, dip endive pieces one at a time into egg wash, then dip in the flour. Slip battered endive into oil in batches and deep-fry for about 3-4 minutes, turning with tongs until golden.

Transfer to paper towels and allow to drain. Sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper, and lemon zest and serve immediately.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #79
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Food and Wine magazine has some wonderful meatless recipes all the time. I get email from them
and would like to share a link to some salad recipes they put out for the upcoming holiday.

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...sgiving-salads

Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #80
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

This recipe sounds real simple and quick to make

Ingredients
Dumplings 5 ounces baby spinach (5 packed cups)
5 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 small jalapeños, seeded and minced
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
About 45 square wonton wrappers (from 1 package)

Dipping Sauce 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey

Directions
MAKE THE DUMPLINGS Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the spinach to a colander. When the spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze it dry, then coarsely chop it. Keep the water hot.
Transfer the spinach to a medium bowl and stir in the tofu, cornstarch, jalapeños, soy sauce and sesame oil and season with salt and pepper.
Working with 4 wonton wrappers at a time, dampen the edges and mound 1 1/2 teaspoons of filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold 1 corner of each up over the filling and seal to make triangles. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.

MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE In a small serving bowl, stir the soy sauce with the vinegar and honey.
Return the water to a boil. Add the dumplings and simmer over moderate heat, stirring gently, until the edges are al dente, about 3 minutes. Carefully drain in a colander and transfer to a platter. Serve with the dipping sauce.