Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #61
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

I keep giggling at the idea of someone with testosterone coming out his ass
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #62
NorCalStud

How Do You Identify?:
gaea's Daddy and Fiance
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ours
Relationship Status:
Engaged with gaea:-)

Thanked 1,465 Times in 359 Posts
NorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST Reputation
Default my smartphone

Sorry. While
charging my phone; bad spelling occurs. It does look like there should be an article attached. There are plenty for sure. Imo ....there is a problem in US with humans having faulty adrenals ....the way we eat and drink and lack of crop rotation and proper environmental gardening is screwing us. I am way into organic farming and permaculture as a way to live empathtically....going out on a limb here? ...did I make a connection or too oblique?

Che
NorCalStud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalStud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #63
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCS View Post
Sorry. While
charging my phone; bad spelling occurs. It does look like there should be an article attached. There are plenty for sure. Imo ....there is a problem in US with humans having faulty adrenals ....the way we eat and drink and lack of crop rotation and proper environmental gardening is screwing us. I am way into organic farming and permaculture as a way to live empathtically....going out on a limb here? ...did I make a connection or too oblique?
No, not oblique to me. I fully agree with you. I also believe that by 40, everyone, especially women should check into their adrenals and see if they need support.

On another note, I was amused when I mention a dog smiling as a sign of empathy and you mentioned smiling as the first sign of empathy between people who speak different languages. I think we're on the same page.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #64
NorCalStud

How Do You Identify?:
gaea's Daddy and Fiance
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ours
Relationship Status:
Engaged with gaea:-)

Thanked 1,465 Times in 359 Posts
NorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST Reputation
Default yes

Gee it feels good to be on the same page....sometimes..

Che
NorCalStud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalStud For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #65
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

A almost meta study on oxytocin and how it acts in humans and other animals. One thing I like about hormones and neurotransmitters is that while they are expressed differently in different species, the behaviors seen in animals are specific to each species yet are similar.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2795557/
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #66
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Default Link to GREAT videos on empathy and compassion

I have only watched the first clip but the information on oxytocin, the autonomic nervous system, the immune system, stress hormones and progesterone enlightens and illuminates why empathy is a functioning part of the mammalian brain and body.

Oxytocin and being empathic reduces stress BUT only when shown how to use the energy in practice. When being OBJECTIVE one does not get the healing effects from oxytocin and being empathic!

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/arti...ssion_research
Old 09-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #67
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Dr Deborah Custance and Jennifer Mayer exposed 18 dogs to four separate 20-second experiments in which either the pet's owner or a stranger pretended to cry, hummed in an odd manner, or carried out a casual conversation.

Results showed significantly more dogs looked at, approached and touched the humans as they were crying as opposed to humming, and no dogs responded during talking.

Ms Mayer said: "The dogs approached whoever was crying regardless of their identity.

~a link for those who love the pooches and understand empathy

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/97...esearch_shows/
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #68
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamma View Post
Dr Deborah Custance and Jennifer Mayer exposed 18 dogs to four separate 20-second experiments in which either the pet's owner or a stranger pretended to cry, hummed in an odd manner, or carried out a casual conversation.

Results showed significantly more dogs looked at, approached and touched the humans as they were crying as opposed to humming, and no dogs responded during talking.

Ms Mayer said: "The dogs approached whoever was crying regardless of their identity.

~a link for those who love the pooches and understand empathy

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/97...esearch_shows/

I want to believe that the dogs are attracted to crying people more than casually talking people because they love us and feel concern for us, but another part of me admits it's possible that when people cry they emit certain chemicals and the dogs sense those chemicals and they don't necessarily associate the chemicals with distress but with who knows what state of being, that presents some kind of biological advantage to them.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #69
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
I want to believe that the dogs are attracted to crying people more than casually talking people because they love us and feel concern for us, but another part of me admits it's possible that when people cry they emit certain chemicals and the dogs sense those chemicals and they don't necessarily associate the chemicals with distress but with who knows what state of being, that presents some kind of biological advantage to them.
I think I understand what you mean IslandScout. Those chemical would be stress hormones and oxytocin and other hormones and neurotransmitters. Humans can smell the oxytocin in tears and react to them. The study about this had people smelling tears on tissues and talking about the emotions they had from smelling them. I believe they were smelling things like water, saliva and sweat as well as tears.

What this study documented that was that dogs reacted to the emotion, not to the sounds or actions. So, yes, dogs can and do react to the chemicals emitted by others. Humans often pull back when they sense these chemicals or see the emotions. Dogs go to the people crying and empathize (share) with humans.
The Following User Says Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #70
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Did you have anyone with whom you had meaningful contact while young (a teacher, a neighbor, a relative, a sitter, etc.) that may have fostered empathy in you? I have read that can be a saving grace for kids in homes where empathy is not there to be learned. My own mom was abused and dissociative/fractured, while my dad was abusive. I did have a sitter who made a huge difference to me. Now she is my mom's best friend (After my dad left my mom, unfortunately this was when I had already grown up, my mom became so much more stabilized.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I believe it had to have been my maternal grandmother. Until I was 10 I did spend a lot of time with her on the weekends. She was loving and caring to me.

My mon would have been different had my grandmother raised her but she was thrown out of her orthodox Jewish family for getting pregnant with my mom out-of-wedlock as they called it and her father was a rabbi. She boarded my mom with a very strict, abusive family and my mom was the scapegoat of the other foster kids.

So yes, I guess I learned empathy from my grandmother.

Thanks Nannie. She died at age 95. I still miss her.
Yes, nycfembbw. It is truly amazing how that happens. A child having just one person in their lives, even for a short period of time (like one school year), who is emotionally attentive and lets the child know that they matter can "undo" so much "bad stuff" (for lack of a better word).

I'm glad you had that someone like that in your life, Anya.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #71
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting link about empathy vs sympathy

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Empathy_vs_Sympathy

I wonder if different chemicals are produced.........I could not find the answer because the search kept going to the sympathetic nervous system.....

<snip> Sympathy essentially implies a feeling of recognition of another's suffering while empathy is actually sharing another's suffering, if only briefly. Empathy is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes". So empathy is a deeper emotional experience.

Empathy develops into an unspoken understanding and mutual decision making that is unquestioned, and forms the basis of tribal community. Sympathy may be positive or negative, in the sense that it attracts a perceived quality to a perceived self identity, or it gives love and assistance to the unfortunate and needy.

<snip>
Compassion can form a base for both empathy and sympathy, and each may be seen as aspects of wisdom, or the means through which wisdom is synthesized. Sympathy also involves caring, but a compassionate sense of assistance and protection for those who are poor and less fortunate. Empathy is expressed when trying to feel someone else’s feeling who generally is known to you.
<snip>
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #72
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

I heard this program this morning and was moved by their many points. Not really an episode about empathy but more about how lack of insight eventually effects all people.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=474
Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #73
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

A vimeo clip on empathy, neurons and the dramatic arc. Insightful
http://vimeo.com/50579996

Tags
empathy, energy, oxytocin, spirituality