Old 06-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation
Default R.A.K.

This thread is to identify, acknowledge & (hopefully) inspire Random Acts of Kindness.
Have you ever done something for someone just to see them smile?
Have you done something anonymously just to help someone out?
Tell us about it!

Tonight, I was standing in a check-out line & there were 2 boys (about 9 or 10?) behind me. They were buying catfood...no parent in sight, (or in the store, it turned out. I added two "surprise bags" to my order & handed one to each of them.
The one little guy just beamed & said "Thank you very much!"
The other went for honesty & told me he already had one at home....so I replied "well, now you have two!"

~LadyBlue
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation
Default Once upon a time....

I bought a bouquet of assorted & went around passing them out to anyone I came across. You wouldn't believe how touched people were by this simple act.

I enjoyed this way of bringing to people, that I repeated the exercise several times....worth every penny

~LadyBlue
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Blue, this is a wonderful idea for a thread ~ its interesting that you should create this tonight, as I just read in our local newspaper a section dedicated to this very subject "Random Acts of Kindness"

I was going to type them out because they are really good examples of how there is still alot of good out there in the world but since I was able to find it online, I'll just post the link

I hope alot of people contribute to this thread, because we could all use being able to show random acts of kindness to others in hopes of receiving those same acts of kindness in return!!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/97217244.html
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

I did not kill my brother-in-law last night. This was an act of kindness ... you'd understand if you met him. Only for love of my sister. I have bite marks on my lower lip and my tongue is sore as well. Not really random, I guess, but it is meant to be kind ... to my sister.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I try to always pay it forward. When I go and place flowers on cemetary plots of loved ones, I always take extras to place on those who never seem to have any. I also have been known to pay a toll for the car behind me. I go out of my way to help people if they call me and need a ride somewhere, I do it. I never ask for gas money or toll money. I believe in karma, and making things right in this universe of ours.

One of the things I have found so beneficial is when I took my pets to an Asst. Living Facility. The people there were so happy to have my dog and cats come visit. In fact, there were times when a resident would try to take them as their own and take the furkids to their room to hide. Precious.

When my adopted mother was in a home for Altzheimer's Disease, she was at the wondering away point. So, it was always in a lock-down situation. All the exits and entrances were locked and a nurses station was by each. Well, all the patients gravitate there. So, in thinking about that, I thought it would be a good idea to put up there used magazines, books for children, and so on. Everytime I would go, I would make sure to hit a dollar store first and pick up a couple of books for all age ranges, and leave them there. Soon enough everyone who had a loved one there did the same. During holidays, I would make up little treat bags with a few treats for each person there. They so looked forward to having a bag of their own. Soon enough, other family members did the same. In the bags would be something as a single serving of Jello or Pudding or Apple Sauce. It was just a simple acknowledgement.

Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

before my mom died, i would make and send her postcards just to say i loved her.

i also make and send postcards to friends, to let them know i'm thinking of them. i try to choose images that i know they would like.

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braedon View Post
Hi Blue, this is a wonderful idea for a thread ~ its interesting that you should create this tonight, as I just read in our local newspaper a section dedicated to this very subject "Random Acts of Kindness"

I was going to type them out because they are really good examples of how there is still alot of good out there in the world but since I was able to find it online, I'll just post the link

I hope alot of people contribute to this thread, because we could all use being able to show random acts of kindness to others in hopes of receiving those same acts of kindness in return!!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/97217244.html
Thanks, Sweetie!!!

How serendipitous! & what lovely stories...thank you for sharing!

Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I've had my RAKy kind of days....bought the toll or order for the person behind me in line...let others go before me in line at the grocery store....walk some folks out that obviously needed some help and had none....cut a guy or gal down on their luck a super deal....donated to folks I knew needed some help but (for whatever reason) would not go to the allocated people/places to acquire said help...etc

Today wasn't much, though. I helped a military mom get some donuts as she corraled her two boys. That's about all I've got for now.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation

I am a firm believer in random act of kindness, or acts of beauty for the sake of beauty, that's the basis of how you can save the soul of another......Show them something so beautiful and selfless that it inspires their heart to carry on. Doing just the opposite is how you destroy another.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Look someone in their eyes and give them a moment of your attention without the judgment thing taking over your thoughts. Smile, listen, let them know they really matter. Sometimes, you do not even need to say one word.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

Several years ago, i took part in a march to protest the fact that Greenville County didn't recognize Martin Luther King, Jr, Day as a holiday. (SC was the last state to recognize it, and Greenville was the last county in the state to enact it).

Marching down Main St, surrounded by about 500 people, singing and chanting was a glorious experience that had me fighting back tears. But man, my hands were about frozen!

Not even 10 minutes into the march, the stranger walking beside me took his gloves off and gave them to me, saying with a smile, "if we get separated, just keep them and use them."

i lost it then, and cried the rest of the morning. (i made sure i found him afterward and returned his gloves.)

i wont ever forget his random act of kindness.

(FYI: After about 20 years of silent and sometimes not-so-silent demonstrations, the holiday finally became reality in 2006)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

I'm the kind of person who can't walk past an old man or old lady who looks really down in the dumps and not smile at them, often after they've smiled back I'll end up standing and talking to them about their day, or their families. I've been invited back to many an old persons home, for tea and to talk more at a later date.
A smile is free to give to anyone, and sometimes it is the greatest gift a person can receive.
I also tend to give homeless people whatever spare change I have, because I've been there, and if it wasn't for My family and good friends, I'd still be there.
Not sure if R.A.K. counts when it comes to family, but I randomly buy Mum flowers when I can, and get her other little gifts if we're out together and she sees something she likes, but has no way of affording. I do the same for all My family and friends as and when I can.
What it comes down to really is I just like to see people smiling!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I was at the beach last year, and it was first thing in the morning. I went out to get a cup of joe, and a paper. Well, I forgot my wallet. I had everything in my hand, and no money. A perfect stranger behind me paid for my coffee and paper. He told me that when someone needs help, to just do it for them. I agreed and shook his hand.

I smile when I think of that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

BUMP De BUMP BUMP

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionaria View Post
I am a firm believer in random act of kindness, or acts of beauty for the sake of beauty, that's the basis of how you can save the soul of another......Show them something so beautiful and selfless that it inspires their heart to carry on. Doing just the opposite is how you destroy another.
I know I have certainly benefited from random acts of beauty here...people leaving beautiful pictures, well wishes...makes my day, frequently.

~Blue
Old 07-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

I realized today that I had an opportunity to bestow a random act of kindness & seized it! (Carpe diem)
It hardly took any effort on my part (excuse I might have used to talk myself out of it....) & was more than worth it, just to make someone else smile.

~LadyBlue
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

I went into town to get some chocolate for a certain someone, whilst in town, I was sat on a bench and this lady set her bags down behind me, I noticed one of the bags had split, I knew I had a spare bag in my rucksack, so I dug it out and gave it to her so she wouldn't have to struggle with carrying a bag that had split all down one side. If nothing else, I made her day easier.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
socialjustice_fsu

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
It’s all good.

Location: The gulf waters are sapphire blue and the beach sand is white as snow.
Thanked 2,158 Times in 439 Posts
socialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputation
Default So I am moving from a large house to an apartment...

I have my beautiful piano that was given to me by my piano instructor (at my senior recital years ago) gracing an entire wall as the focal point in my living room. After measuring and remeasuring the sad conclusion was that it could not move 'with me.' The day following this conclusion I was still wallowing in my own self-centered sadness when I got a call to see one of my long term patient's that was deeply depressed and needed immediate intervention. I work for a hospice as a social worker. I visited 'Sheila' who is bedridden due to number of ailments. She is only 55 years old. She and her sister live in near poverty but love lives in their house. She was a choir director, accomplished musician, pianist and organist at her church for many years. She has a voice that will shake the rafters. She shared with me how much she missed her musical involvement with her church and that her sister (who lives with her) would often play a small, off-key, 'used up' keyboard so she could sing from her bed. We talked about how music heals us and what a gift it is to simply 'hear.' We spoke about the talents people are given and how fortunate we are to be able to use them for the good of others. She noted that I looked sad that day and was there something on MY mind. I told her I had a number of decisions I needed to make about this upcoming move. She took my hands in hers and prayed to a higher power for wisdom and patience as I made this move. I am supposed to be the tower of strength but the tears came and she let me be me. We hugged and I told her I would be in touch even though I am on PTO for the move. When I got home I was faced with the fate of my piano again. Call it what you want but a sense of peace washed over me as I knew my piano was going to go to Sheila's home. I called my hospice and they are paying the entire moving fee ($350.00)! I have called Sheila's sister and she could not stop crying while trying to thank me. I told her my piano instructor gave me the knowledge of playing beautiful music and this was simply paying it forward. Random act of kindness..not so sure...but I know this piano will be loved and provide Sheila a means to sing again even if it is from her bed. In addition, I will be able to play for her every time I visit her...and I get to hear her majestic voice. Nothing could be sweeter.
socialjustice_fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to socialjustice_fsu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

I think random acts of kindness are just that, kindness at random. Me, I do them all the time.
I have often stopped when someone has had a flat tire on the road, changed it for them, and been on my merry way, always refusing to take any kind of payment, and just asking them the next time there is someone in need, to think about helping that person and pay it forward, and saying it with a smile.
I have even stopped and fixed a few cars for folks on the road before, while cars were buzzing down the highway, and got them back up and running, and still not taken a dime for anything I have done.
I am careful doing this, I usually only stop if I feel it's safe to do so. In fact, just a couple weeks ago, and elderly man and his wife, were stopped on the highway in between towns, I had seen drag marks along the road and saw a boat up ahead pulled off the shoulder and leaning off to one side. I pulled up to see this elderly man trying to change the tire as he had lost the rim and broken the lug bolts off the trailer. I offered him assistance, and in return, he gave me the boat for free. He had just bought it for 50.00 in Dallas, and was taking it home to restore it and get a title to it. I took him up on his offre, then called one of my cousins and her husband and told them I had their fishing boat........... when they met me off the highway to come and see it, they jumped for joy cause the boat didn't need hardly any work done to it physically, it was in pretty good shape, but we needed to do some motor work to get it up and running. they just couldn't believe someone just gave me the boat and I was passing it on to them. they are now in the process of doing a title search so they can get a new title to the boat in their name.
Just yesterday, i was in town leaving the convenience store, and an elderly woman was pulled off the highway shoulder with a flat tire. I stopped and asked if she needed help, she blessed me for stopping, I took off the blown tire with my 4 way cause she didn't have a tire tool, and waited for her daughter to come and help her get a new tire as she had no spare. Her grandson showed up after that and said he could put it back on that he had a 4 way too. I told her I was glad her family showed up and I was going to go on about my day. She smiled and said thank you for stopping to help me.

I could care less if anyone paid me for any thing I have helped them do out of the goodness of my heart like this. I don't do it for money, I do it because it's my way of helping someone else in need, and my way of making someone have a better day even if that's the only thing they do is just smile that one time that day and know that someone cared enough to stop and help them.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

Smile
Do what you can when you can
and Pay it Forward
Always