Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

View Poll Results: What is Your Employment Status?
I am employed full time. 84 53.85%
I am employed part time. 7 4.49%
I do freelance work. 7 4.49%
I am on unemployment. 6 3.85%
I am not currently employed. 4 2.56%
I am not currently employed but looking for a job. 7 4.49%
I am currently employed and looking for a better job. 7 4.49%
I work more than one job. 6 3.85%
I am on disability. 15 9.62%
Other: See thread for explanation 13 8.33%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #201
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfect_cupcake View Post
Yup! I'm ve been working since May. I was asked if I wanted to join a very well established clinic that is run by one of my outreach instructors: my outreach at the HIV support clinic. He runs the highest rated clinic in my city, and also teaches students at the HIV clinic to give back to the community.

So, I have an incredible start. All that bone crushing hard work has paid off with an incredible placement offer. I'm doing well. I love my patients. It took 6 weeks to stop being really fucking sore and exhausted after I started, as I can burn up to 3,500 calories in a day at work. So I have to take very good care of myself. I got myself a cleaner so I'm not bogged down at home with extra work, kicked out my flatmates so I have a place on my own finally, and I just adopted a very lovely cat.

I need rest and low stress on my days off. So I'm not going to be busting my tits looking after someone. So, either it's someone fun and easy going with no drug and alcohol problems, or I stay single till I'm in my grave lol
Titsalina, that is so wonderful! Wow, congrats on the offer to join such a practice! You deserve this after going through some tough economic times. Good on ya!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #202
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Yup! I'm ve been working since May. I was asked if I wanted to join a very well established clinic that is run by one of my outreach instructors: my outreach at the HIV support clinic. He runs the highest rated clinic in my city, and also teaches students at the HIV clinic to give back to the community.

So, I have an incredible start. All that bone crushing hard work has paid off with an incredible placement offer. I'm doing well. I love my patients. It took 6 weeks to stop being really fucking sore and exhausted after I started, as I can burn up to 3,500 calories in a day at work. So I have to take very good care of myself. I got myself a cleaner so I'm not bogged down at home with extra work, kicked out my flatmates so I have a place on my own finally, and I just adopted a very lovely cat.

I need rest and low stress on my days off. So I'm not going to be busting my tits looking after someone. So, either it's someone fun and easy going with no drug and alcohol problems, or I stay single till I'm in my grave lol
Also, I get what you are saying about being drained. I started doing some private practice work in the evenings for extra cash (well mainly due to overflow...I don't want to say no to any trans client who calls me and I can't fit them in at my regular job), and I fear I am really going to feel it. Already I am behind on documentation.
At my regular job I have two radically different jobs, one a behavioral health consultant in a primary care office, and one a regular therapist. 3 days in one place, 2 days the other. That already makes my head spin. Now I am adding something else. I know when the cash starts flowing in I will be happy (and I need more money because I need a new car), but I am worried about how it will be long term.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 AM   #203
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

The charting takes up so much time, doesn't it??? I have so many solicitor reports and court reports to write. It takes me sometimes and extra 90 minutes a night to write everything up - invoices, charts, reports, emailing extra info for patients with questions... my shift ends at 8:30 but sometimes I don't leave till 10pm.
I *love* my patients, most of them. And I want to make sure I can do everything I can. The most common thing they say about me is that I am "utterly thourough" and I bloody well am. I may take longer and do things differently than many therapists but I won't ever leave someone short.

Taking pride in our work to a fault can really be a balancing act.

My career will always come first. It's my sparkle, my depth. My talent and my passion. Most Queers won't abide by that. *shrug*

So I make sure I take care of me first. Anything left over is absolutely given to those I care for. And that's not acceptable to many, if not most.

But I hear you. I understand. We are lucky. And the self responsibility with that is occasionally daunting. AND sometimes coming home and shoving a granola bar in my mouth with a magnesium tablet for sore muscles is the most I can do. So I won't be making someone else's dinner, nor doing their laundry or cleaning their toilet. Fuck that. I don't even clean my own toilet.

I hope you have lots of self care goodies stashed away for yourself !!!
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #204
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

My career will always come first. It's my sparkle, my depth. My talent and my passion. Most Queers won't abide by that. *shrug*
This is how I feel about my profession too. It's the one thing know about myself and, no matter if everything else falls apart, I have this one huge area in life where I know I made the right choice. And there have been times where it has saved me; going to work each day and teaching those flawed and beautiful teenagers saved me from going into an even darker place when life was miserable.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #205
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon View Post
This is how I feel about my profession too. It's the one thing know about myself and, no matter if everything else falls apart, I have this one huge area in life where I know I made the right choice. And there have been times where it has saved me; going to work each day and teaching those flawed and beautiful teenagers saved me from going into an even darker place when life was miserable.
Oh hell, yeah. To both the identity piece, but for sure the "saved me" piece.

I have definitely had hard moments in a day and would think to myself, "I need to see a client to steady myself. I will be fine then" lol

Old 11-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #206
ksrainbow

How Do You Identify?:
Valued

Thanked 2,149 Times in 561 Posts
ksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Glad to be back...

In 2009, the mental health community agency I was employed with, suffered a severe budget cut that eliminated my position of 9 years along with 4 other co-workers. All 5 of us struggled as to what would be the outcome for the patients we gave hope and stability.

20 days ago today: 3 of us returned upon request at the agency's CEO to bring back our collective years of experience the hope and security to those patients.We all agreed that much has changed in the last 7 yrs. We all found other jobs..sought a place where we could touch the lives of those who needed hope and stability but never felt we were able to make a difference.

None of us expected that we would be able to return to our personal dedications and experiences of caring and hope to those who needed us the most. For me, this was very personal and emotionally moving to be there for those who knew me then and saw me there today.

I am more than happy the CEO called and asked for our return!

ks-
ksrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksrainbow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #207
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

Hi all! I just wanted to throw this question out there to get other people's opinions. If you're not happy with your current fulltime job and can't find anything better, would you work two part time jobs if the pay was the same as you? Of course you would have no benefits but some people may not worry about that. I'm sort of thinking about doing this...... Anybody have any input? Advice?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #208
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

[QUOTE=imperfect_cupcake;1102074]The charting takes up so much time, doesn't it??? I have so many solicitor reports and court reports to write. It takes me sometimes and extra 90 minutes a night to write everything up - invoices, charts, reports, emailing extra info for patients with questions... my shift ends at 8:30 but sometimes I don't leave till 10pm.
I *love* my patients, most of them. And I want to make sure I can do everything I can. The most common thing they say about me is that I am "utterly thourough" and I bloody well am. I may take longer and do things differently than many therapists but I won't ever leave someone short.

Taking pride in our work to a fault can really be a balancing act.

So I make sure I take care of me first. Anything left over is absolutely given to those I care for. And that's not acceptable to many, if not most.

But I hear you. I understand. We are lucky. And the self responsibility with that is occasionally daunting. AND sometimes coming home and shoving a granola bar in my mouth with a magnesium tablet for sore muscles is the most I can do. So I won't be making someone else's dinner, nor doing their laundry or cleaning their toilet. Fuck that. I don't even clean my own toilet.

I hope you have lots of self care goodies stashed away for yourself !!!

Was a ICU/ER RN for 30 years. Would get high from my job each time I went

to work. Am on SSDI, but sure wish I were still working. There's nothing like

a good "code" or trauma!!!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #209
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
Hi all! I just wanted to throw this question out there to get other people's opinions. If you're not happy with your current fulltime job and can't find anything better, would you work two part time jobs if the pay was the same as you? Of course you would have no benefits but some people may not worry about that. I'm sort of thinking about doing this...... Anybody have any input? Advice?
I think it depends on a person's personality. I personally would not be good having to manage two jobs. Right now I have two very different jobs at work, part-time in each one, specific days of the week and in different offices. It is hard for me to juggle. I am a "one focus", type of person. Although I do like having different "roles" within the same department/programs, being in two different "worlds', is very hard for me.

I have started doing some evening private practice work, but that is a simple stop in, see a couple clients and then go home, type of deal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #210
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I have a job interview on March 20th, for a job that I applied for, while am working temp for that same company. I am hoping to get on permanent as an Administrative Technician for the county appraisal district.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #211
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i am retired in the field of bodywork- my hands have given out.

I am working in accounting in a very low stress easy job in a great place, the physical building is amazing.

I also run a business on the side that I am trying to get off the ground in my new town.

Income is a great thing!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #212
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I think it depends on a person's personality. I personally would not be good having to manage two jobs. Right now I have two very different jobs at work, part-time in each one, specific days of the week and in different offices. It is hard for me to juggle. I am a "one focus", type of person. Although I do like having different "roles" within the same department/programs, being in two different "worlds', is very hard for me.

I have started doing some evening private practice work, but that is a simple stop in, see a couple clients and then go home, type of deal.
I spoke too soon...my easy simple stop in job has become a bit more work...I quickly expanded my hours and I am getting more drained than it seemed I would get, at first... It is hard to say no to someone when they call to see you. It is nice to have the additional money, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #213
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

after working 3 decades in social service and mental health fields, I had a bad accident that winded me up on permanent disability. I work a minimal amount of time in mental health still, just to get me out of the house and give me a sense of purpose. I LOVE this work and cant imagine giving it up any time soon. I wish I could work more hours but when I try, my body falls apart and I end back up flat on my back.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #214
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Wow. I posted this thread 8 years ago and I am still employed at the same company!

I'm coming up on 9 years at this company in September. I *love* the people I work with and love being in a fast-paced super-techie environment and I have gained a huge amount of education here and several friends whom I consider family.

The industry itself wears me out some days. There can be a lot of stress and a lot of bureaucracy and I can feel the glass ceiling sometimes but I've also had the luxury of being completely and 100% out of the closet here (Like, so far out that I have spearheaded multiple diversity projects).
I've only held one position in all of my white-collar employment where I felt the homophobia leaking from people's faces and that was working for the State. I swore I'd never put up with that shit again...and I haven't.

My company is going through a massive transition right now and I don't know what it is going to mean for me in the long run. I hope I can stay here for a while longer until I decide what I want to do long-term. I have thought about taking a teaching position at a university or maybe developing my freelance work into something more full-time, and I definitely could because my free-lance can be as lucrative was my steady, just with more hustle. LOL

In short, I'm employed full-time in a white collar environment at a high-tech marketing company. I have an office, a salary, and I don't punch a clock.

I never imagined myself in this position because I always thought I'd end up being a mortician or working for the FBI but such is life.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #215
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
i am retired in the field of bodywork- my hands have given out.

I am working in accounting in a very low stress easy job in a great place, the physical building is amazing.

I also run a business on the side that I am trying to get off the ground in my new town.

Income is a great thing!
here i am almost a year later and man, what a disappointment this job has turned out to be. My side biz has also been a disappointment here.

i’m going to once again start completely over when i move to Cali. i have high hopes for my business and a day job that will provide what i need.

i won’t miss this job, but there are a couple of people there that i will miss.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #216
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
Yes i would work 2 part time jobs. The job im currently with is not happy about ny health problems, etc. So im thinking about finding another part time job.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #217
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Employed as an assembly line worker at a new air conditioning manufacturing plant here in town.

Looking for another job though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 AM   #218
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation
Default my experience ...

long, long time ago I once quit a job BEFORE I had secured another one to walk right into ... I won't ever so that to myself again ... it was horribly stressful on me ...
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #219
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

I am blessed to have always had a full time job. I have also only worked for two companies over my 25 years of working.

Of course, my position has changed many times in these companies over the years, and there were times that I was not happy (most notably 3 years ago for 3-5 years with my current employer), but I hung in there, and I am glad I did. 3 years my program had an overhaul and things have been much, much less stressful. I hung in there due to the quality benefits I have, but I was close to the end of my rope with that.

Are there other people here who stay/have stayed at their jobs because they have good benefits (insurance, retirement, etc)?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #220
CherryWine

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme

Thanked 10,096 Times in 2,186 Posts
CherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Are there other people here who stay/have stayed at their jobs because they have good benefits (insurance, retirement, etc)?
I’ve been with the same nonprofit company for almost 14 years - straight out of college except for a couple of very brief temp jobs after graduating. I’ve also held various positions at this company. It has been, and can be, very stressful....to the point where I’ve come very close to calling it quits a couple of times. During those times, yes, the quality benefits were mostly what kept me from leaving. Those and the daunting thought of having to go through the entire interviewing process again and everything else that comes with finding a new job...ugh.

Our contract is up for competition every 3-5 years, and that whole process and the uncertainty of the outcome can be very taxing on my colleagues and me. Fortunately, we have very low turnover, and most of us have been here for quite a while. We all know the ropes, work well together, and our contractor appreciates the high employee retention rate.

All in all, it has been a career that has helped me to grow tremendously as a person and professional. It is always challenging, and I’ve had to face quite a few of my fears.

We don’t always get to see the immediate impact that our work makes on the lives of the particular health population for whom we work, but when we do, it really makes all of the hard work worth it.
CherryWine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CherryWine For This Useful Post:

Tags
employment, job