Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation
Default High Protein/Lo Carbers...Recipes and info

You know who you are...eating many carbs makes you feel lethargic, tired, headachy and left with still craving more carbs/sugars.

This thread is for those of us who have switched from being carb burners to fat burners. Our diets are filled with high purine proteins, high essential fats and low complex carbs.

Please share your experiences, recipes etc here.

This thread is NOT for debating about whether lo carbing is a good thing or not, it is simply a place to share for those of us who do eat this way.

Jesse
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

subscribing...
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzman View Post
You know who you are...eating many carbs makes you feel lethargic, tired, headachy and left with still craving more carbs/sugars.

This thread is for those of us who have switched from being carb burners to fat burners. Our diets are filled with high purine proteins, high essential fats and low complex carbs.

Please share your experiences, recipes etc here.

This thread is NOT for debating about whether lo carbing is a good thing or not, it is simply a place to share for those of us who do eat this way.

Jesse
subscribing........ great thread Tranzman ..
im working on learning and teaching myself this stuff..... and portion control....
and right now....... i gotta drive..... lol ..... bbl

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I'm subscribing too making low carb recipes are a must as I gained weight during the past year from school and sleep apena, sleep deprivation and eating at night!! Its chili for dinner with no rice just veggies and salad...could use some recipes though??
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Everyone,

I have found that since switching to this eating plan, I stay full for 5 or 6 hours and do not crave sweets, breads, cereals etc. anymore. The key is to eat lots of high purine proteins, increase your intake of essential fatty acids, and finish with a small amount of complex carbs.

Purine foods include: sweetbreads (internal organs), anchovies, sardines, canned liver, kidneys, hearts, meat extracts (broths and bouillon), gravies, and various canned seafood. Other foods which contain slightly lower levels of purine include wild game and lentils. These are usually the items found on a typical do not eat list for gout patients. Other protein sources such as nuts or ground beef are limited to one serving per day. I also eat protein dark poultry and turkey and lean pork and beef as they are a good protein sources.

Essential fats: Those high in omaga 3 are highly desired and include olive oil, walnuts and walnut oil, coconut and coconut oil, olives, flax. There are more but can't think of them right this minute.

As for complex carbs, I mostly eat those on the low end of the complex carb list such as: spinach, (mostly raw) artichokes, asparagus, (raw and cooked) broccoli, cauliflower etc. But other complex carbs include legumes, oatmeal, 100% whole grain pastas, brown rice etc. I do not eat most of these as I have an intolerance for gluten.

I use only organics as much as possible, and either make my own yogurts and butters or buy from a dairy farm here...same for milk, cream, cottage cheese etc.

I'd be interested to hear about how you all manage this eating plan and would love to swap some recipes.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Some examples of healthy foods containing complex carbohydrates:

Spinach Whole Barley Grapefruit Turnip Greens Buckwheat Apples Lettuce Buckwheat bread Prunes Water Cress Oat bran bread Apricots, Dried Zucchini Oatmeal Pears Asparagus Oat bran cereal Plums Artichokes Museli Strawberries Okra Wild rice Oranges Cabbage Brown rice Yams Celery Multi-grain bread Carrots Cucumbers Pinto beans Potatoes Dill Pickles Yogurt, low fat Soybeans Radishes Skim milk Lentils Broccoli Navy beans Garbanzo beans Brussels Sprouts Cauliflower Kidney beans Eggplant Soy milk Lentils Onions Whole meal spelt bread Split peas

Some examples of foods containing simple carbohydrates:

Simple carbohydrates are more refined, are usually found in foods with fewer nutrients, and tend to be less satisfying and more fattening.
Table sugar Corn syrup Fruit juice Candy Cake Bread made with white flour Pasta made with white flour Soda pop, such as Coke®, Pepsi®, Mountain Dew®, etc. Candy All baked goods made with white flour Most packaged cereals If you are trying to eliminate simple sugars and carbohydrates from your diet, but you don’t want to refer to a list all the time, here are some suggestions:
Read the labels. If the label lists sugar, sucrose, fructose, corn syrup, white or “wheat” flour, they contain simple carbohydrates. If these ingredients are at the top of the list, they may contain mostly simple carbohydrates, and little else. They should be avoided.
Look for foods that have not been highly processed or refined. Choose a piece of fruit instead of fruit juice, which is very high in naturally occurring simple sugars. Choose whole grain breads instead of white bread. Choose whole grain oatmeal instead of packaged cold cereals.
The closer you get to nature, the closer you get to health.

Simple carbohydrates, like sugar and corn syrup, are created in a factory – while complex carbohydrates in vegetables and whole grains are designed by nature, and help you maintain your health.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

I have found that since switching to this eating plan, I stay full for 5 or 6 hours and do not crave sweets, breads, cereals etc. anymore. The key is to eat lots of high purine proteins, increase your intake of essential fatty acids, and finish with a small amount of complex carbs.

Purine foods include: sweetbreads (internal organs), anchovies, sardines, canned liver, kidneys, hearts, meat extracts (broths and bouillon), gravies, and various canned seafood. Other foods which contain slightly lower levels of purine include wild game and lentils. These are usually the items found on a typical do not eat list for gout patients. Other protein sources such as nuts or ground beef are limited to one serving per day. I also eat protein dark poultry and turkey and lean pork and beef as they are a good protein sources.

Essential fats: Those high in omaga 3 are highly desired and include olive oil, walnuts and walnut oil, coconut and coconut oil, olives, flax. There are more but can't think of them right this minute.

As for complex carbs, I mostly eat those on the low end of the complex carb list such as: spinach, (mostly raw) artichokes, asparagus, (raw and cooked) broccoli, cauliflower etc. But other complex carbs include legumes, oatmeal, 100% whole grain pastas, brown rice etc. I do not eat most of these as I have an intolerance for gluten.

I use only organics as much as possible, and either make my own yogurts and butters or buy from a dairy farm here...same for milk, cream, cottage cheese etc.

I'd be interested to hear about how you all manage this eating plan and would love to swap some recipes.
I try to use organics too but they are very expensive in this NY area but I cook mostly protein chicken, beef, salmon, filet of sole and cook low fat or broil or bake most of the time. Make a lot of soups too. Would love to swap recipes too..so anybody ready to swap today its chili with 93 percent ground beef, chili mix, fire roasted tomatoes, black beans and asparagus. Chocolate muffins for dessert...
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanks for sharing Lipstixgal. I absolutely love black beans but only eat them very rarely now because they are so high in carbs(thinking it's 25 grams per 1/2 cup). I am going to try the black soy beans as they supposedly taste like balck beans but are high in protein and lo in carbs. No idea what you mean by chili mix, but I know the chocolate muffins are out for me also due to high carbs.

For the recipes to work here, we need all three of these in the meal/item: High protein, high essential fats and lo carbs.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
I try to use organics too but they are very expensive in this NY area but I cook mostly protein chicken, beef, salmon, filet of sole and cook low fat or broil or bake most of the time. Make a lot of soups too. Would love to swap recipes too..so anybody ready to swap today its chili with 93 percent ground beef, chili mix, fire roasted tomatoes, black beans and asparagus. Chocolate muffins for dessert...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Omega-3 include ocean fish like tuna and salmon. Some companies are making gluten free pastas, just have to look hard for them. Be careful with fish from the gulf as studies are showing oil from the spill making it into the higher food chain. Trout is a good substitute. Farm fish I am totally against, but finding sustainable resources is best.

Poached salmon with capers/grape tomatoes and feta gluten free linguini.

Salmon filet boned and skin on
dill weed
butter(real)
lemon butter seasoning
lemon or lime juice

Season fish and use aluminum foil to make a packet, put used lemon half or lime half in with fish, skin side down. Make sure packet is tightly sealed.

In a 12 inch fry pan add 1/2
water, bring to a boil and place packet in water.
Heat through for approximately 16 minutes.

Let sit for about 5 minutes before opening packet, it will be hot,
Remove filet from skin and serve with pasta, feta and capers.

Make pasta and use olive oil stir in feta until creamy, or most of feta has melted, add rinsed capers/grape tomatoes.

Bon appitite'

"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".

Last edited by Corkey; 11-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Speaking of salmon...

Salmon Muffins

1 can salmon, drained and shredded (I also pick out most bones and skin)
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
2 or 3 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (or whatever cheese you prefer)

Mix everything together. This is salty enough for us; you might want to add more. Pam-spray a muffin tin and plop a muffin's worth of salmon into each cup. This makes about six bigger muffins. Bake at 325 until egg sets—about 20 or 25 mins. They aren't greasy when made like this and can be eaten hot or cold. Good with a scoop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. sometimes I add a bit of flax meal to this recipe.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Default Salsa Chicken

Preheat oven to 350

Buy whatever types/amount of chicken you desire, I use thighs or legs or a mix of both.Wash well in cold water.
Place chicken in a casserole type dish. Pour in a low fat salsa, preferably one that is either homemade or organic with zero sugars, and cook for 45- 60 minutes.

30 minutes into cooking, add broccoli and asparagus, fresh works great. Make sure veggies are kept moist and keep chicken and veggies covered with tin-foil.

10 minutes before serving, add in some cottage cheese. stir it up and serve.

It is delicious! :-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Lipstixgal. I absolutely love black beans but only eat them very rarely now because they are so high in carbs(thinking it's 25 grams per 1/2 cup). I am going to try the black soy beans as they supposedly taste like balck beans but are high in protein and lo in carbs. No idea what you mean by chili mix, but I know the chocolate muffins are out for me also due to high carbs.

For the recipes to work here, we need all three of these in the meal/item: High protein, high essential fats and lo carbs.

Thanks
Chili seasoning in a mix form don't know what it has in it but it makes the chili taste good...didn't know the beans were complex carbs wow now what?? Just eat the asparagus and the chili meat I guess...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

You may choose to have more carbs than some of us do, and that is okay. I just wanted this thread to be more specific on the three things listed. Somewhere on here there is another thread that has lo carbs, lo fats I believe, but you are welcome to hang out here as well.

Pretty much any pre-mix has a bunch of stuff you may not want, also sugars.

Quote:
Chili seasoning in a mix form don't know what it has in it but it makes the chili taste good...didn't know the beans were complex carbs wow now what?? Just eat the asparagus and the chili meat I guess...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Braised short ribs with polenta
2 lbs short ribs
Crimean mushrooms
shallots/onions
garlic
carrots
celery
oregano
bay leaf
parsley
red wine
gluten free flour
scallions
tomato paste
low sodium chicken stock
low sodium beef stock

In a large stock pot heat vegetable oil to shimmering
add chopped shallots/onions and garlic
when they have turned translucent add quartered Crimean mushrooms and carrots allow to soften till brown bits start forming on bottom of pot,
Take veggies out of pot set aside.
Brown short ribs on all sides, when done add back veggies.
Add 2 tbs gluten free flour cook off flour about 1 minute.
Add 1 cup red wine and loosen bits from bottom of pot.
Add tomato paste and stir in chicken and beef stocks.
Add oregano, bay leaf, parsley and scallions.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a boil and cover
While waiting to boil preheat oven to 350*
When pot is boiling put covered pot in oven for 2 1/2 hours keeping ribs covered with liquid through out. If more liquid is needed add hot water to cover ribs. Stir occasionally.

Remove from oven and let set for 15 minutes, there may be some fat from the ribs to skim off top.
Serve over creamy polenta.

Makes enough for 4-6 people or in my case a small army.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thank You

Thanks for starting this thread I'm a big fan of high protein/low carb eating.

I made this once when I was doing the Atkins thing and it was delicious!! I found this recipe online it might be different from the actual atkins one. The Peanut Butter Coconut Sauce turns out delicious.

# 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
# 1 cup coconut milk
# 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
# 2 tablespoons soy sauce
# 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
# 1 teaspoon ground ginger
# 2 garlic cloves, chopped
# 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
# 2 lbs chicken cutlets
# 30 wooden skewers, soaked for 30 mins

1. 1 mix first 8 ingredients, remove 3/4 and refrigerate.
2. 2 cut chicken into strips and marinate in remaining sauce for 1 hour.
3. 3 heat broiler, thread strips onto skewers and broil about 6 minutes.
4. 4 bring refrigerated sauce to room temp and use as a dip for the chicken.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.

Last edited by Ebon; 11-15-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbutch View Post
Thanks for starting this thread I'm a big fan of high protein/low carb eating.

I made this once when I was doing the Atkins thing and it was delicious!! I found this recipe online it might be different from the actual atkins one. The Peanut Butter Coconut Sauce turns out delicious.

# 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
# 1 cup coconut milk
# 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
# 2 tablespoons soy sauce
# 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
# 1 teaspoon ground ginger
# 2 garlic cloves, chopped
# 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
# 2 lbs chicken cutlets
# 30 wooden skewers, soaked for 30 mins

1. 1 mix first 8 ingredients, remove 3/4 and refrigerate.
2. 2 cut chicken into strips and marinate in remaining sauce for 1 hour.
3. 3 heat broiler, thread strips onto skewers and broil about 6 minutes.
4. 4 bring refrigerated sauce to room temp and use as a dip for the chicken.
Sounds great!!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Preheat oven to 350

Buy whatever types/amount of chicken you desire, I use thighs or legs or a mix of both.Wash well in cold water.
Place chicken in a casserole type dish. Pour in a low fat salsa, preferably one that is either homemade or organic with zero sugars, and cook for 45- 60 minutes.

30 minutes into cooking, add broccoli and asparagus, fresh works great. Make sure veggies are kept moist and keep chicken and veggies covered with tin-foil.

10 minutes before serving, add in some cottage cheese. stir it up and serve.

It is delicious! :-)
I have the chicken but do you keep the skins on I don't, don't want the fat but the salsa sounds good and the cottage cheese will have to pass maybe mascapone cheese instead would work for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I remove the skin and the fat on chicken.

Quote:
I have the chicken but do you keep the skins on I don't, don't want the fat but the salsa sounds good and the cottage cheese will have to pass maybe mascapone cheese instead would work for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Billy

How Do You Identify?:
Billy~
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr Princess ~
Relationship Status:
Married April 20 2013

Thanked 3,866 Times in 1,051 Posts
Billy Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

This is awesome .......Love this thread ..I am all about the high protein , low carb
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #20
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

More recipes please!! How about exercise is that important too?? Just wondering if you do any exercise with this lo carb high protein diet??

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo