Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
MasterfulButch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Charming the love of my life.

MasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST Reputation
Question Bed Side Preference and Dominance

In my experience to date, I've noticed a correlation between dominance and bed side preference. That is, where there is a dominant character in a pairing (not necessarily dominant as a sexual identity) that they prefer to sleep on the right hand side of the bed.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Does the theory fit you?

MasterfulButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MasterfulButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation

Nope. I've always slept on the left side of the bed because I'm left-handed. lol, except I'm not sharing at the moment so I sleep on the whole thing now. lol, I dominate the entire bedroom. lol, master of my domain so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterfulButch View Post
In my experience to date, I've noticed a correlation between dominance and bed side preference. That is, where there is a dominant character in a pairing (not necessarily dominant as a sexual identity) that they prefer to sleep on the right hand side of the bed.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Daniela

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 5,242 Times in 1,243 Posts
Daniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterfulButch View Post

I've done left and right. The only constant in my selection is that I'm always closer to the bathroom.

Ladies' choice!
Daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Daniela For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I've done both sides of the bed in my younger years, but as I've grown older, I prefer the left side.
Personally, I don't see a theory in this at all.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I've typically been the dominant one in the relationship and when I'm sleeping in the same bed with someone, I prefer to sleep on the side closest to the door unless she objects because she cannot sleep on whichever side is not closest to the door. So this theory doesn't fit for me but it will be interesting to see the responses of others.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

I sleep on the right!! But not always. I slept on the left in my last long term relationship.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not ever the sexually dominant partner and I sleep on the right side. I'm even more attached to that side now because the right side of my bed is against my bedroom wall. To totally seal the deal, I don't ever need to get up for the bathroom in the middle of the night, which means that anyone sharing my bed has the freedom to do so without waking me.

I'm interested in what SleepyButch wrote because it sounds like she prefers to take a protective position. It makes sense to me that I would prefer my partner to sleep closer to the door and that I would prefer to sleep in the more protected place, closer to the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post
I've typically been the dominant one in the relationship and when I'm sleeping in the same bed with someone, I prefer to sleep on the side closest to the door unless she objects because she cannot sleep on whichever side is not closest to the door. So this theory doesn't fit for me but it will be interesting to see the responses of others.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
I'm interested in what SleepyButch wrote because it sounds like she prefers to take a protective position. It makes sense to me that I would prefer my partner to sleep closer to the door and that I would prefer to sleep in the more protected place, closer to the wall.
Hi Cheryl,
I inferred the same thing from Sleepy's post, too; but what you wrote is also very interesting to me because personally, I'm not sure I'd feel more safe being sandwiched against the wall. On the contrary, I think I would feel trapped and therefore, less safe in the event of a fire or other emergency.

On the other hand, you can never wake up on the wrong side of the bed, I suppose, lol. Hope you don't mind my 2 cents; I just found your perspective interesting.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,089 Times in 8,590 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

I'm usually not the dominant partner in the relationship, I currently don't have a bed mate, and I primarily sleep on the right-hand side. My nightstand is on the right side even though I'm left handed. It works for me, for now.

When I do have a bed mate, it makes no difference to me what side I sleep on. I allow my bed mate to choose because I can sleep on either side without any problems.

I don't like sleeping against a wall. I don't usually suffer from claustrophobia, but I it kicks in when I'm sleeping against a wall. I shiver just thinking of it!
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling View Post
Hi Cheryl,
I inferred the same thing from Sleepy's post, too; but what you wrote is also very interesting to me because personally, I'm not sure I'd feel more safe being sandwiched against the wall. On the contrary, I think I would feel trapped and therefore, less safe in the event of a fire or other emergency.
I don't think I've ever slept in a bed that was up against the wall but I can see your point Smiling. You could always pull the bed out a foot or so right?

My reasoning is that I am being protective. If something comes in the door, it will be me that encounters it first. Just makes me feel better. It's the same reason I walk closest to the curb if I'm walking with a femme. It's just what I do and I'm sure I'm not the only one around her who feels this way.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

I just need to feel like there is enough room to make a quick getaway should the need ever arise. lol, a foot of room would probably be more than adequate for that purpose. For me, happiness is both of my feet being able to make contact with the flooring in case I need to Flintstone's it the heck outta there, lol.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
DaddyShaun

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, His, Him
Relationship Status:
Not in a hurry to worry about it.

DaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST ReputationDaddyShaun Has the BEST Reputation

I am the dominate sexual partner and prefer the right side but interestingly enough I position the bed so that the right side is closest to the door so that I can protect my partner.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Ok I'll bite.

Are you looking at the bed, or looking from the bed when you say right side/left side?

If you are looking AT the bed, i sleep on the right side because i roll to the left. My wife who is bossy as heck, sleeps on the left because it is easier to get up and use the restroom fast...works for us!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,098 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

I've virtually always the Dominant partner in a relationship and most often sleep on the right hand side. It hasn't been 100% right hand side in the past though. It depends on a lot of factors because I have weird sleeping paranoias.

For me, the Dominance comes in when I chose what side I want and tell my sleeping partner that they get the other side and don't get to choose LOL!

My Patreon

My Website

Last edited by candy_coated_bitch; 12-31-2014 at 11:31 AM.
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I'm never the dominant one.

My beds are always pushed right up against the wall on one side (no, no one foot gap. That would be senseless waste of one foot in my room). Mainly because I have a desk, a tall boy, a vanity and a night table to fit in the room as well and thus no room.

I always offer the outside of the bed to whomever my bed guest is because I'm being polite - I don't want them to feel trapped nor awkward about crawling over me and waking me up to go to the bathroom, plus it gives them easy access to the night table and the water.

Guest gets the best position at the table, the left side of the couch (best view of the room). and the outside of the bed.

But that's not because I'm submissive in a relationship, that's because I was raised that way for manners.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
FlaFem84

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

FlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST ReputationFlaFem84 Has the BEST Reputation

I've never been the dominant one and I've slept on both sides.
Only preference I had is to not be against a wall lol I hate having to climb over someone to get out of the bed and worry about waking them up.
FlaFem84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FlaFem84 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #17
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation

Like Cheryl, being the submissive one, and pretty old school, i always prefer whichever side is closest to wall or less exposed to the door side of the room and feels more "safe." For me doesn't matter if that's left or right, would depend on the position of the bed in the room.

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
Daktari

Always been the dominant partner and sleep on whichever side I bloody choose!

In the last decade the side can vary. Often, for me, it depends on which shoulder last had surgery and/or which one is least sore for a head to be led upon it.

If partnered often chosen the right because it gives my left shoulder for a head rest and my dominant right hand free to lead in any shenanigans.

I've never really considered the door issue. Have let more than one girl have the door side for her own comfort.

I sleep centre/right in Teh Woodipotimus' bed. I get bedding choice and little else in the Feline Occupancy Agreement. I only get centre/right if I beat her to the bed and have managed to occupy before she does.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

If I start out on the left side, I will bulldoze you until I'm on the right, so it's safer for all concerned to just leave me to my side.

I started sleeping on my right side in elementary school when I read an article that said sleeping on your right side allows your heart to drop into a position that helps to regulate breathing better and can help to alleviate insomnia.

30 something years later.....it still works.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,870 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Interesting that Sleepy talked about the protective position!
I sleep on whatever side is furthest away from the door for this reason I prefer to be as far away from the door as possible.

Currently I sleep on the right side of the bed (but only because it's not nearest the door). Whenever we go to a hotel where the door is reversed, I sleep on the left
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: