Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing

Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing PLEASE do not use this forum for ugliness or nasty posts.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation
Default How do you "come down" from a bad day?

I'm a substitute teacher, while completing my classes for my masters', and needless to say, it's very stressful. I have had near-fights break out in my classroom, trouble with classroom management (I wouldn't frighten a flea), and feeling like I'm not doing any one thing well, professionally and personally.

What I am asking is, how do you transition from work with all its stresses to home life, without breaking out the fudge ripple or snapping at your partner? I feel like I bring too much of work home with me, and then I'm in for a stressful evening with little time for myself. Then it's go to bed in dread of the next day. I need a change.

How do you let work stay at work, and then get calmed down for bed? I don't have anyone, so that avenue is out .

On the plus side, I do enjoy yoga and meditation to "warm up" in the morning. It's worth getting up earlier for that.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
sharkchomp

How Do You Identify?:
TG/stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,341 Times in 309 Posts
sharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputation

It's a proven fact that petting animals lowers one's blood pressure. So, pet your pet if you have one. Play with it and it give your attention and affection. Focusing on something joyful like tug-a-war or fetch with your pet is a great stress reliever. Besides that love and affection will be returned 100 times over! If you don't have one, you might want to consider getting one

Also, a movie or music can be relaxing too. Or, reading a really good novel. That's a great way to escape from your stresses.

~~~shark~~~~~~~

take a fish boating
sharkchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sharkchomp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Being a substitute is hard work; I commend you for trying. I know you don't get paid to do this, but try it if you're willing...

Get there about 45 minutes early so you have the day's plan down pat; that should keep you from feeling like you're winging it. And then stay as long as you need to get the report written up and everything organized. Don't rush out of there if you don't have to.

Again, I know you don't get paid for that extra time; but I really believe it's important to take time in the morning to *know* the day's plan and then take time at the end of the day to put it all in order........and let it go. That's important; once you walk out of that room leave what happened in there *in there*. Maybe physically shut the door to symbolize shutting out the tension of the day???

Not sure how you feel about exercise, but I bet a 10-minute jog or 20-minute vigorous walk would do wonders for releasing a lot of that stress.

I spent a lot of years in the classroom, and a lot of those years taking classes as well. I *know* how hard your days are. You definitely need to come up with some strategies to manage the stress and, most importantly, take care of *you*.

Best wishes...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

What Thinker said about planning ahead is great advice

I also like to work out with a heavy bag and smack the crap out of it, it really helps release tension.

I also do small things to pamper myself on my lunch like listen to great music, look at beautiful things on my computer or phone, have a short meditation

I also use my time in the car as cool down and reset time, sometimes I scream in my car if it is really bad. By the time I get home usually the initial cranky ass part is diffused.

Good luck

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I worked in health care/mental health for decades. When I took work home with me,
it was either because something particularly hideous occurred or,
there was something I felt I could have handled better.

Either way, for the ride home, my listening pleasure was
classical music if I needed to just mellow out, a comedy tape
(yes we used tapes back then) if I needed to laugh, or
something by Loretta LaRoche if I needed a kick in the butt.

Once home, physical activity was a necessity....
a walk on the beach, bike ride, trip to the gym, raquetball game.
The activity seemed to expel the excess energy and calm my
mind enough for me to relax and be able to process what I needed to.

A hot shower or bath as kind of a ritual washing away of the
days crap helped.

A hearty meal followed by a calming movie or good book helped as well.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

There's a reason I call my home place "Peaceful Ridge".

I wind down by sometimes taking a nap.

Also, watching the birds, piddling in the yard, watching the news to remind me others had a lot worse day than I did.

I try to keep in mind that life is only 10% what happens to you it's 90% how you react to it. With this in mind, when I walk thru that turn stile at work I hang my work hat and attitude on the inside of the fence and put on my home hat. When I walk in the door at home I'm greeted by a frenzy of crazy puppy love by 3 adorable critters who adore their Daddy and typically all the stress of the workday fades away.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Alcohol........LoL
Old 01-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
asphaltcowboi

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
HAPPY

7 Highscores

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,042 Posts
asphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputation

the gym and the jacuzzi
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

pets is a awsome idea......

but another idea.....to unwind a bit...... scrabble.. lol

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

What works best for me is to take the time to be still and quiet - lets me clear my mind. Whether that means being outside listening to the soothing sounds of nature or at home in my favourite comfy chair. Either way it usually doesn't take long for me to come in for a landing.

Still there are times when my job can get pretty intense, leaving me feeling like my head is going to explode and I can't really talk to anyone about the details of the day because of attorney/client confidentiality. So if it's been particularly heinous day I will sit down, write it all out and then burn or bury the paper. Never tearing it - don't want to scatter that stuff back into my world.

As always there is smudging, incense, candles and meditation.

Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,345 Times in 2,666 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a full time teacher, and I like my job a lot, but being a sub is very hard.

Thinker's suggestions are great; the more time you have in the classroom to get oriented, the better you'll feel when kids start arriving.

It might help to spend a few minutes in the classroom at the end of the day, tidying, leaving a note for the regular teacher, erasing the board. You'll have a sense of closure for the day and that is very difficult when you're a sub.

Anyway, you asked us what we do to relax when we get home!

While it is very tempting to pull out the Haagen Daz, for me, I usually feel crappy when I use food to soothe me. That doesn't mean I never do it, but I need to feel refreshed when I wake up, very early in the morning.

I don't think I have any great ideas to suggest. I always fantasize about taking a nap, but if I don't do that early in the evening, it ruins my night's sleep.

I tend to be able to get a lot done, but I'm like a toddler. All of a sudden I crash, and then I can't budge, can't tidy, can't cook. I think there's a better way.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I am a software engineer. I love my job - it is fun to me. Sometimes people who sit around me get too noisey. This stresses me because it shreds my concentration. I went CUJO (rabid dog) on a friend of mine the Thursday before Christmas. I hated it but his loud mouth worked that last strand of a nerve I had left that morning. Then after Christmas, I called him out to the warehouse in an effort to smooth it over and damn, we almost locked up again. I am always ready to apologize and admit fault when I am able to see it but will not grovel before anyone. I had dropped several hints to this fellow about his noise over the course of a couple of months earlier. It was not like he was clue-free. Thank goodness I said a prayer to the Good Spirit beforehand to help me stay civilized. I am not religious at all but when I ask for help from this entity ("The Good Spirit" that I made up) then it is my responsibility to do my part. This works for me and that is what matters.

At this particular job, it is mainly a male oriented environment. I will not have guys run over me - I am an equal. This does not sit well with some of the guys who have stated computer science is not for women. I just blow it off. Ignorant comments like this do not affect me.

I'll bet there were conversations about "the dyke" who went psycho just before Christmas. *chuckling to self* I was one pissed off stone butch that day. What others think of me is really not a concern of mine. I do not "make nice" in order to be liked or get approval.

To de-stress, I come home, fix a cup of General Foods International coffee that I keep for special times. I call it my after work toddie. LOL! Then I sit on the floor, hug and play with my dogs. Normally in about 30 minutes to an hour, after much affection from Kelly and Kevin, my head is clear, calm ... I am okay.

Swell idea for a topic.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Good sex...even if it's solo
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation
Default adding on to previous post ...

The apology to the guy at work went like this ...

I told him I was sorry about the way I handled myself that day and that I wished I had behaved differently when I let him know I had had enough. The apology was not about being sorry for getting ruffled at his loudness.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Watching WEC,,Aldo vs Faber is my favorite!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
CeriseNin

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
a dragon's damsel

CeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST Reputation

Usually having a glass of wine while preparing an involving meal helps me relax a lot. If it's been a day from hell, going to the gym works wonders.
CeriseNin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CeriseNin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Love this topic...

I work from home, so being able to switch gears is critical for my sanity. Some of my colleagues are firing off emails at 2 a.m. and working 7 days a week. They're also the ones we get the email about... "so and so is pursuing opportunities outside of *company*. Please join us in wishing them well."

I multi-task all day long...bouncing between work, online play (like now), household and kid responsibilities...until it's time for work to end. I do that by the clock...and it's 5 p.m. unless I have a critical conference call. Then I will work until the end of that call, period. I will quickly jot down any tasks I'm responsible for or notes I need for the next morning, then I'm done.

I never, ever, ever spend more time at work than a normal day...or I'll end up being one of those burned out colleagues. For me, longevity is the most important thing...and work is a marathon, not a sprint.

So....when it's time to quit for the day...I flag any emails that haven't been resolved from the day, I add new tasks to my "to do" list, and then I shut down my computer and close the lid. I do not go back to that desk until the next morning.

The "dividing" activity for me is always the same...dinner preparation. Whether I'm cooking or running to KFC, the act of getting dinner is the dividing line. Work stays on the other side, in it's own little mental compartment. I don't think about it, or generally talk about it, at all once dinner is underway. Once dinner is being prepared, it's all about home and kids and partner...whether that's helping with homework, watching TV, reading a book, whatever.

I'm the same on vacations and weekends. If you talked to me while I'm on a weekend or a vacation...you wouldn't even think I had a job.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I leave work at the door as I exit the building. Always.

After I get into the car, I crank up the music as loud as I can, sing at the top of my lungs, and decompress on the 1/2 hour trip to pick up my daughter from school. I may look like a loon driving down the road, but when I get home there is only happy on my mind.

Oh, and chocolate helps too!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
nekohl

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 2,162 Times in 382 Posts
nekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputationnekohl Has the BEST Reputation

Your post reminded me of my adventures in substitute teaching in New York. My first day involved an attempted stabbing by a third grader with safety scissors.
I have since moved on to different adventures.

Now my stress comes from the men in my life. That is, being the only female working amongst 30 or so men. And, having to constantly convince men that yes, this little girl does know what she's talking about, and can drive a stick better than you!

Long hot baths with a glass of wine and some reading material help with the cool down.
But, I've found that doing my laundry helps me come down too!

I hope you find something that sooths you!

N
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

to ask for a beating. Seems to work....
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote