Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #1561
Stud_puppy1991

How Do You Identify?:
butch, gentleman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy, Hym, "Hey Handsome", and also throwing in a "Sup man" or a "You're sexy" will work
Relationship Status:
Back to Bachelorhood

Stud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST Reputation

The Mortal Instruments series. I'm currently on the book City Of Glass. It's really amazing so far.
Stud_puppy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #1562
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,229 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

The Dangerous Summer by Ernest Hemingway..his last book.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #1563
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,723 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

"Agorafabulous! Dispatches from my bedroom" by Sara Benincasa

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Agorafabulous-Dispatches-Bedroom-Sara-Benincasa/dp/0062024418/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349531526&sr=8-1&keywords=agorafabulous"]Agorafabulous!: Dispatches from My Bedroom: Sara Benincasa: 9780062024411: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I loved this memoir! It was laugh out loud funny and also quite interesting and relatable for any of us who struggle with varying degrees of anxiety, depression, or quirkiness! I wouldn't read it 10,000 times (Yes, some books I do read 10,000 times.), but it was definitely agorafabulous, and I strongly recommend it

"If I Am Missing or Dead" by Janine Latus

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/If-Am-Missing-Dead-Liberation/dp/B0046LUM98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349532574&sr=8-1&keywords=if+i+am+missing+or+dead"]If I Am Missing or Dead: A Sister's Story of Love,Murder,and Liberation: Janine Latus: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

This is an incredibly powerful memoir about coming from a dysfunctional family and how that carried over to this woman's relationship's as well as her sister's relationships. The writing is exquisite (The author is a writer.), and the story is so powerful. I related to it deeply. Here's a quote that I loved:

"When I was at home as a teenager, I could tell that something was always roiling under the surface. It was like walking on smoked glass over something awful, like rushing water or lava or snakes. You're on it and it's fine, but it's glass and it could crack, and you'd drop into that something awful and be sucked down. And even if it doesn't crack, you can feel those snakes, that danger, vibrating under the surface of things."

I highly recommend this book.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #1564
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation

The road to grace: the third journal of the walk series / by Richard Paul Evans.

I sometimes take books off the shelf without knowing what it is when I'm at the library. This was one of those.

It's actually pretty good.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #1565
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Im reading Walt Whitman's biography....one of many I'm sure..interesting fellow...to say the least
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #1566
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #1567
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished *Secret Daughter* by shilpi somoya gowda... it was a good quick read.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #1568
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Re-reading "Friday" by Robert Heinlein

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #1569
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgeek View Post
New book by Sheri Reynolds! I love her stuff!!
Oooh, I didn't know she had a new book out! Love her too. First met her with Rapture of Canaan.

Exciting...
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #1570
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

I'm binge-reading several things by Karen X. Tulchinsky. I'd read several of her short stories in anthologies of erotica, but wanted to check out her books. I read Love Ruins Everything on my weekend trip, and had so much fun reading it that I jumped right into its sequel, Love and Other Ruins, when I got home tonight (a butch and her new femme love are central to the stories). I am also about 1/3 of the way through the much more serious and very well written The Five Books of Moses Lapinsky, which won a couple of book awards in Canada. And In Her Nature also arrived, which I may keep on my bedside just for the cover photo.
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #1571
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

Related question: Does anyone else like to do what I call "binge-read"? I enjoy reading a number of different books by an author in a row, or reading a bunch of books in a series, or several books on particular topic or theme, or even several books in a certain format (graphic novels or books written as if they were a personal journal, for example). I enjoy the chance to compare and contrast things within the book I've read, while they're all fresh in my memory.
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #1572
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Last week I finished a book called Re-enchantment: Tibetan Buddhism Comes to the West by Jeffrey Paine.

He can write entertaining journalistic prose, which I appreciate. But he leaves a lot of stuff out (How can he not mention Pema Chodron?) and gets some things wrong (A google search will reveal that Zina Rachevsky is not a member of the Russian nobility). He has no bibliography, and I can see why. It would have revealed his failure to do enough research.

Still, it is totally worth reading. It is a series of profiles of people who were significant in bringing Tibetan Buddhism to the west. There's not much about the organizations they founded or the obstacles faced or anything other than personality.

I hated reading the sections on the lamas who tried but screwed up badly (IMO) -- Chogyam Trungpa (slept with a lot of followers) and Jetsunma (completely crazy -- sorry, if you are a follower). I was surprised at how difficult those chapters were for me to read even though I knew about these people. I also cringed through the entire chapter on Hollywood Buddhists.

On to the good stuff. I had already read a book about Tenzin Palmo's life. She is a British woman who spent 12 years in a Himalayan cave meditating. But I still enjoyed his chapter on her, probably just because it was better written than the book I read -- Cave in the Snow. It's an amazing story.

I also loved reading about Lama Yeshe, who died in 1984. It made him come alive. And Jan Willis, one of the first western followers of Tibetan Buddhism, now a Professor of Religion at Wesleyan. Here's a picture of them.

The section on Harold Talbott, a person from a privileged background, who very early on went to India and studied with now storied Lamas, was wonderful. He is the person who introduced Thomas Merton to the Dalai Lama. What is cool about him is that, while he has accomplished some things -- edited books, translated, run Buddhist centers -- basically he has spent his life practicing. He always felt like a failure in some ways. He's from a very accomplished family, and by our standards, he kind of wandered through life. But his equanimity is so well described. It makes you see the difference between one of us and someone -- a relatively ordinary someone (no great lama or teacher) -- who has spent his entire life in practice. And there are real differences.

The chapter on the Dalai Lama is full of the magical stories you read elsewhere, but it is still lovely. In fact the book is written by a believer in the magical side of Tibetan Buddhism, so it can be alienating if you are put off by that. I am listening to a book on Audible right now called The Naked Buddhist by Adrienne Howley, an Australian nun. I do not enjoy how she teaches Buddhism (too simple and preachy), but I appreciate that she teaches from the position of an absolute atheist. She does not believe in any of the magic or superstition. I believe in some of it. But I think that an emphasis on the magic -- and certainly on lama worship -- obfuscates the dharma.

Anyway, the book was a pleasure to read and filled in a lot of the gaps I have re lamas and others who are often mentioned in this tradition (Western Tibetan Buddhism).

I am now reading one of the Jason Bourne books written by Eric Van Lustbader. Cliched but good. I hate it when someone comes and interrupts a conversation JUST when our hero is about to learn a key piece of information. Grrr.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #1573
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,248 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance-with-me View Post
Related question: Does anyone else like to do what I call "binge-read"? I enjoy reading a number of different books by an author in a row, or reading a bunch of books in a series, or several books on particular topic or theme, or even several books in a certain format (graphic novels or books written as if they were a personal journal, for example). I enjoy the chance to compare and contrast things within the book I've read, while they're all fresh in my memory.
I do that mostly because when I'm in the library, I grab all the books from an author (all the Tolstoy, for example.) I also enjoy reading books set in the same time period, but by vastly different authors, for a new point of view.

As for what I'm reading:

Cousin Bette, Honore' de Balzac.

Remember the movie Indecent Proposal, in which a man offers to pay off a couple's debts in return for one night with the wife? This is the same story-except the dude wants ten years with the wife, and in return will put up a dowry for her daughter's wedding. Meanwhile, Cousin Bette (cousin of the aforementioned wife) would today be a prime candidate for serious therapy, and I suspect is going to get even in spectacular fashion. Everyone except Bette (so far) is so supremely annoying that I find myself rooting for her.

Ethics, Aristotle

Essentially (so far), what we think is newfangled pop psychology stemmed from 350 years BC with Aristotle. To be happy, change your thoughts, root out negativity, and change your actions. Practice moderation in all things. I wish I'd read this before tons of self-help books and certainly before watching Dr. Phil.

The Way Of All Flesh, Samuel Butler

This is maybe the hardest book to get into, so far. It seems to be several generations of one family, as recounted by the narrator, and their attempts to stick to the "right" values and the "right" appearances. It's not bad, just waiting for the plot to pick up steam.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #1574
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

There's a film adaptation of Cousin Bette as well. It's flipping CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
I do that mostly because when I'm in the library, I grab all the books from an author (all the Tolstoy, for example.) I also enjoy reading books set in the same time period, but by vastly different authors, for a new point of view.

As for what I'm reading:

Cousin Bette, Honore' de Balzac.

Remember the movie Indecent Proposal, in which a man offers to pay off a couple's debts in return for one night with the wife? This is the same story-except the dude wants ten years with the wife, and in return will put up a dowry for her daughter's wedding. Meanwhile, Cousin Bette (cousin of the aforementioned wife) would today be a prime candidate for serious therapy, and I suspect is going to get even in spectacular fashion. Everyone except Bette (so far) is so supremely annoying that I find myself rooting for her.

Ethics, Aristotle

Essentially (so far), what we think is newfangled pop psychology stemmed from 350 years BC with Aristotle. To be happy, change your thoughts, root out negativity, and change your actions. Practice moderation in all things. I wish I'd read this before tons of self-help books and certainly before watching Dr. Phil.

The Way Of All Flesh, Samuel Butler

This is maybe the hardest book to get into, so far. It seems to be several generations of one family, as recounted by the narrator, and their attempts to stick to the "right" values and the "right" appearances. It's not bad, just waiting for the plot to pick up steam.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #1575
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Chronically. Love it. Hate when I get to the last book. I get all wiggly and don't know what to do with myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #1576
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Now reading: The Elements, A visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe. It is an awesome book going through the periodic table with beautiful photographs and stories of the use of individual elements through time in technology, farming, health, etc.
Favorite quote so far, in relation to Arsenic. " Generally speaking, when an idea sounds as stupid as intentionally feeding arsenic to chickens, it probably is"

Nerd alert: Just spent an hour on the couch with my daughter reading out loud from this and had a blast.

(but maybe this is why I'm single)
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #1577
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation
Default just downloaded from my library

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Salvation-Dairy-Queen-ebook/dp/B000UZNR32/ref=dp_kinlend_rdm_t?ie=UTF8&m=A38SEFUGZMJU8S"]Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen: A Novel: Susan Gregg Gilmore: Amazon.com: Kindle Store[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/I-Remember-Nothing-Vintage-ebook/dp/B003WUYOUM/ref=dp_kinlend_rdm_t?ie=UTF8&m=A38SEFUGZMJU8S"]I Remember Nothing (Vintage): Nora Ephron: Amazon.com: Kindle Store[/ame]
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #1578
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I do that all the time.

afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #1579
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I am reading the second book in a trilogy by Felix Palma. The first book is The Map of Time and now I am reading The Map of the Sky. So far I love the books. They take place in the world of H. G. Wells, Jack the Ripper, the Elephant Man, The Time Machine and Victorian England.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #1580
SoulShineFemme

How Do You Identify?:
All girl. All the time.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Married to my beloved ONLY

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,363 Times in 455 Posts
SoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST ReputationSoulShineFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Some French vocabulary. I'm determined to learn.....
SoulShineFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoulShineFemme For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading